“Extra special sushi with great creativity!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Shogun Japanese Steakhouse

Shogun Japanese Steakhouse
Ranked #283 of 661 Restaurants in Mobile
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
“Extra special sushi with great creativity!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2011

This is my favorite sushi place in Mobile. The sushi always taste and smell fresh and inviting. There are a number of speciality rolls on the menu and the culinary skills of the chef's are outstanding. The prices are fair in comparison to the portions. I have had great experiences at the sushi bar as well as the habachi frills.

1 Thank ibvic

“Good food but bad drinks”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2011

Our sushi was really good but our martinis were awful. Service was extremely slow and we were the only ones there.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank FloraForFauna
Mobile, Alabama
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Not The Best Around”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2010

I'd hate for someone to look on trip advisor, for a good place to eat, and choose this one out of the others. -I myself generally read reviews. I'd recommend Mikatos restaurant off of Azalea Rd. or Konnitiwa off of Cottage Hill Rd. , in comparison to Shogun. My first time eating there, tonight, I called in my order. After an hour (finally got my little one to bed) I went to pick up my order, and it still wasn't ready. The woman at the drive thru proceeded to tell me I should wait atleast 20 minutes next time. I actually had to tell her my order was called in an hour ago, she rolled her eyes and ducked back in the window. Here's what's going on with good sushi- In mobile, each restaurant is priced the same. about 10.00 a roll. At Mikato's, you may not get the BEST service, but it's damn good, quality, sushi. At Konnitiwa, I've never had bad service. What it comes down to though, is the quality of the raw seafood, or cooked, your eating. There's not much seafood or vegetable at all in my rolls from Shogun. AND they use plenty of mayo. hmmm

my sister, who loved this place, recommends that you don't watch them make your food. -She has seen a piece of roll fall of the chefs table where it was being prepared and the chef get down on their knees to look for it, and serve it. (yucky) Try Mikato's, make reservations. Try Konnitiwa, check out their times first.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank DeepSouth777
Mobile, AL
“Great sushi experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2010

I treated myself to a quick lunch at Shogun. My first ever sushi bar experience. The outside of the restaurant is a bit austere, but once inside, it quickly turns nice. They were not too busy at the bar area. I was placed right in the middle so that I could "watch the chef." Since I was rather clueless about what to do and all, the waitress explained I could order anything I wanted or could order from the lunch menu. I went with the lunch menu. I chose the yellowfin tuna since I could recognize what that meant. It comes with a nice soup and cucumber salad. Both very tasy. Again, I was like a deer in the headlights, not knowing wassup. I did enjoy watching the chef do his magic behind the glass, though I could not see everything as my seat was too low. After I finished my soup and salad, the chef asked me if I was ready for my tuna to which I said yes. My food was served on a cute board/plank instead of a dish. I like stuff like that. Two pieces of yellowfin tuna curled over some white rice with green (ultra spicy/hot) wasabi and ginger on the side with some fruit on the other side of the tuna. It was tasty but I thought the portion size on the small side. Next time, I'll know to either order a larger portion or something else. The price was only around $5 plus tax as I drank water.

I very much enjoyed watching all the sushi art dishes coming out from the chefs and could only wonder what they were. Now that I've been home and surfed the web, I know they are the "rolls" they make. They sure were attractively arranged. I plan to go back tomorrow for lunch or soon thereafter. That wasabi will clear your sinsus. I'll ask for silverware, too. Chopsticks are not for me, even though the ones provided are sort of webbed at the base and that makes eating with them easier.

The staff there seem actually happy and friendly. It was a pleasurable experience. Next time I'll order a take-out so that I can experience other menu items at home during my leisure. I can only wonder why I waited sooo long to visit this place. There were plenty of people at the booths. All seemed very pleased. Would highly recommend this place.

Mobile, AL
“Good hibachi for couples and families with kids”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2008

My wife and I went here for our wedding anniversary dinner away from the kids, and now we want to come back, with our kids in tow.

We went on a Tuesday night; the exterior was not that grandiose (no shogun castle), but the interior was nice and elegant, with a bar that looked welcoming, a sushi bar to the right, and the hibachi to the left. We went for hibachi. We were seated quickly and service was good overall. We ordered a special dinner for two which had salad, soup, and hibachi which had fried rice, shrimp, steak, chicken, noodles, and veggies. The salad was ok, but we loved the onion soup. We could not understand half of what our chef was saying, but he was very entertaining and courteous. Looking around us, we saw customers -- mainly families with kids -- having an enjoyable, sometimes raucous, time being entertained by their chefs as well. There was also a birthday group for which the staff did a special number.

The chicken was alright, but the shrimp was succulent, and the steak done just right -- plus the sauces made them even better. With all the tasty entrees, though, we probably would have preferred a more bland, steamed/white rice, but their fried rice was very good. The helpings were quite large, though, and my wife ended up taking home 2/3 of her portion.

Overall, we found this good for couples, but probably even better for families with kids. We're confident ours will enjoy it; so if you're looking for fun dining for your kids or to entertain guests, this is a good place for it.