“Nice Hotel but Eat Breakfast Elsewhere”

Fairfield Inn & Suites Mobile
Ranked #27 of 64 Hotels in Mobile
League City
“Nice Hotel but Eat Breakfast Elsewhere”
Reviewed April 5, 2014

Since we had Marriott points to redeem, we stopped at this hotel on our way to and from Sapphire, NC. Overall, the hotel looks nice; the parking lot and grounds were well maintained and felt safe. The lobby and breakfast areas were both clean. There was a strong chlorine smell emanating from the pool, but we didn't use it. (There were several families in the pool, so I guess it was OK.) Our rooms on both trips were clean, the beds comfortable and the showers had plenty of warm water and nice water pressure. Our check-in on Thursday did take longer because only one person was working the front desk. Also on Thursday, our TV's sound didn't work unless we turned the set on and off a couple of times. The biggest drawback to staying here is their breakfast food/service. On our first stay (Sunday morning), we tried to eat breakfast at 7:00 (the time it was supposed to open), and the juice machine and hot food buffets were empty and the cabinet providing milk for the cereal was locked. The choices available were cereal (without milk), bagels and cream cheese, and mixed fruit of cantaloupe, honeydew melons and pineapple (everything tasted like melon). After about 15 minutes of watching an employee run around, she was finally able to locate the key to unlock the refrigeration cabinet to allow access to the milk and brought out a tray of eggs which were cold. No juice was ever available. On our return trip (Friday morning) we ate about an hour after it was suppose to start serving. This time there was juice, but it was so watered down, it was undrinkable. I had to look twice to see if I had pushed the orange button--it looked like apple, tasted like neither. The coffee was cold, and based on our first trip, we didn't try the eggs. On the plus side, this time the pineapple did taste like pineapple. Overall, this is a nice hotel, just skip the breakfast.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Joy K, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Mobile, responded to this review, April 7, 2014
Thank you for taking time to review your recent visits to our property. Without our guests feedback (both good and bad), we cannot comtinue to improve our services.
Thank you for your kind comments regarding your room and the other areas of the hotel. I am very sorry to hear that our breakfast failed to provide you with the service and selections that you deserve each and every time you are a guest.
It is our goal to provide a clean, comfortable room along with a healthy variety at breakfast to each and every guest that stays with us. I do apologize that we did not meet that standard during your stay.
If your travels bring you back to the area, I do hope that you will give us another chance to serve you with true Marriott style.
Best Regards,
Joy Knodel, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Evansville, Indiana
Reviewed March 21, 2014 via mobile

Nice hotel for an overnight stop. Updated rooms - hotel smelled great when we walked in. Coffee still available for FREE in the evening! Yay! Thank you!! Friendly efficient staff. I overhead the hotel clerk very effectively handle an irate customer (who was upset over his own credit card issues and nothing to do with the hotel). She showed great professionalism! Also want to compliment the breakfast hostess working on the morning of March 21. Great breakfast buffet and everything was extremely clean and organized! Such a nice touch- thank you! Kudos to the staff for making our stay enjoyable!

Stayed March 2014
Joy K, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Mobile, responded to this review, March 22, 2014
Mr. Mann, Thank you for taking time to review your recent visit with us. It is such a pleasure to share the good comments with our staff. I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and do hope that you will return to stay with us again if your travels bring you back to our area.
Best Regards,
Sebastian, Florida
Reviewed January 22, 2014

This property was a little difficult to get to even with the GPS, but well worth it. The entire place is beautifully done. The rooms are large, very clean, and the beds very comfortable. Our room had a flat screen TV, a microwave and small refrigerator. The desk clerks were very helpful and pleasant. Breakfast was several types of cereal, eggs, bread products, juice and fresh fruit. I don't think you would be anything but happy staying here. We'll go back when in the area. Another plus are the many nice restaurants close by.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank barbaragwen270
Dear Barbara270, Thank you for taking time to review your recent visit with us. It is only with our Guests feedback that we can continue to improve our services. It is always a pleasure to share the good comments with our entire staff.
We look forward to having you visit again when your travels bring you back to the Mobile area.
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed December 29, 2013 via mobile

I am a frequent visitor to Mobile, AL. I love to stay at this hotel. Amazing hotel especially for the price. First, the employees are always so happy and friendly. The hotel is super clean. I am a neat freak. For $69
(AAA card),you get a wonderful hot breakfast (depending on the day), clean room with cable, and a staff that goes above and beyond to make your stay enjoyable.

• Stayed December 2013
2 Thank Mekalet
Joy K, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Mobile, responded to this review, January 1, 2014
Mekalet - Thank you so much for your recent review regarding your stay with us at the Fairfield Inn & Suites. We continue to strive to provide a clean, comfortable room and a fast, nutritious breakfast for everyone. And to top it off, you got a great discount with your AAA card. Mekalet, we hope that you will return soon. Happy Holidays! Joy Knodel, GM
Baton Rouge
Reviewed December 22, 2013

I try to not to criticize a hotel over an isolated problem unless it's based on bad policy. But when a plethora of problems exist, then criticism is warranted. First off, I struggled to even get in the front door because the doors are not automatic. They should be, as they are for most competitors. People are trying to get in with luggage. No one has an extra hand. Then the hot water wasn't nearly hot enough. But the breakfast bar did it. It is generally a good bar with eggs and sausage in addition to the standard continental items, but they were out of too many things. The fruit supply was low, the cut up fruit (melons, etc.) was low, and of all things, they were out of orange juice (just to note it was approximately the middle of the block of time during which breakfast is served). Out of orange juice? Are you kidding. It's a breakfast essential. If I'm running a hotel and we're out of orange juice, someone will go to the grocery store and get an emergency supply. "I'm sorry" doesn't get it when a problem that serious can be fixed with a little extra effort. Then to top it off, the breakfast garbage can was overflowing and that is quite disgusting. I don't understand it. People there were clearly working hard. When these things happen, someone should step forward and straighten things out.

Honestly, any one or two of these problems would not be enough for a bad review. Put them all together and you know something is just plain wrong.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Deltatraveler2012
DeltaTraveler2012, thank you for taking time to review your recent stay with us. I apologize for the challenges that you experienced while a guest in our hotel. We strive to make each and every guest as comfortable as possible by providing a clean environment and friendly service. On the occasion of your visit, we were training a new Breakfast Ambassador and there were several times during the breakfast hours that the crowd trying to eat all at the same time became a little overwhelming. I am sorry that you had a bad experience. We do try to keep the breakfast bar stocked but there are times when we just simply cannot get to the items that need refilling fast enough. The orange juice was replaced as soon as a Manager was notified. We hope that you will return and give us another chance. DeltaTraveler2012, we do hope that if you encounter challenges the next time you visit with us that you ask to speak to a Manager. We look forward to your return. Joy Knodel, GM
Reviewed December 21, 2013

I was visiting Mobile for a show with Compozitionz. Because I didn't want to face the long ride back I quickly jumped on my phone for a moderately priced...contemporary hotel. I came across Fairfield, a Marriott property (which I love!)

I forgot to call in and ask for a late check in (it was 1:45am), so I was set for a problem initially. There was none! SCORE!!!!

Jennifer, the night innkeeper was FANTASTIC! I went to my room and dropped my bags. Turned on the lights..and the room had not been cleaned. I went back downstairs and told Jennifer...who apologized profusely!! She put me in another room, but UPGRADED ME to a SUITE. Did I mention Jennifer is FANTASTIC???

The suite was immaculate. Well cleaned. And we'll worth the inconvenience. The bed was FIRM.

The one drawback is shower pressure, but I like high pressure showers (preference).

I will be back on my next visit to Mobile!

• Stayed December 2013
Jericho C, Your comments are "music to our ears"! Thank you so much for the positive comments regarding Jennifer, our Night Auditor. I do apologize for the inconvenience of having to be moved so late at night. I am glad to hear though that everything turned our better than you had planned. We hope that when your travels bring you back to Mobile that you will choose to stay with us again. Best regards, Joy Knodel, GM
Baldwin, New York
Reviewed November 25, 2013

I love this hotel because it is near everything. It is right off airport blvd, which is where all the restaurants and shops are located. The rooms are very cozy and clean every time I visit. They have a complementary breakfast with a variety of foods. You really don't have to go out for breakfast. There is a nice exercise room to jump start my day.

The only complaints I have is that the heating/air conditioning unit is very loud in the rooms, one of the windows in my rooms was covered in some white substance, and the staff is not overly friendly. Otherwise, I love this spot.

Room Tip: Do not get a room in front of hotel. The traffic from the highway will disturb you all night. Get...