“Better than some earlier reviews from others” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Holiday Inn - Mobile Downtown/Historic District

Holiday Inn - Mobile Downtown/Historic District
Ranked #16 of 64 Hotels in Mobile
kings mountian, nc
“Better than some earlier reviews from others”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2013

Attended a submarine crew reunion in October of 2013. I studied up on the reviews prior to arrival and was a little apprehensive - some guests had some specific areas they were not happy about and described them in detail. My concern was great enough that I wrote the hotel and received an immediate response from Ashely, who took the time to address each potential concern. I am pleased to say that my worries were groundless and all areas addressed by Ashley were correct as she described. The rooms were clean, quiet, and modern. The hotel did all they could to assure that our group of old submarine sailors were well taken care of. The front desk folks were as nice and helpful as they could be.

There is one area I will downgrade them on - food service - and only for the breakfast buffet. It was a bit high priced at $10 for the selection. As you may know, many other hotels provide breakfast gratis as part of your room fee, or at a very reasonable price. The food was good enough and hot, but nothing special. Beware beware beware though, watch your bill carefully. Like other restaurants I have visited, they charge an automatic 18% gratutity PLUS they leave a blank space for another tip. An unwary customer will 'tip on the tip'. Not too bad, I suppose, but the breakfast staff provided NOTHING in the way of service, other than bringing you your water or coffee. You serve and seat yourself. Eighteen percent was way out of line for service you did not receive, and then they have the intestinal fortitude to add a 'tip' line so that many less than attentive folks would tip even more. I blame the restaurant and hotel management for this lack of oversight. The restaurant staff was civil enough, but compared to the rest of the hotel, they were the least friendly of all encountered. Perhaps they just seemed a bit stiff in comparison to the other employees?

Overall, I would stay again and gladly, but I would have breakfast elsewhere.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
Manteo, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2013

Traveling to New Orleans, we stayed here for the night on a whim. Boy am I glad we chose this location. A great spot downtown with a lovely bar on the top floor. Extra friendly staff who were great at answering questions, giving directions and generally just conversing with us on a quiet night in the hotel. The martini's were a little larger than used to, so three were more than enough. If you're doing Mardi Gras, I can't imagine a better location. Thanks guys!!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Jennifer S, Sales Coordinator at Holiday Inn - Mobile Downtown/Historic District, responded to this review, October 25, 2013
Brandon,

So happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay here with us!!! I have passed along your kind words to our team. We look forward to seeing you again the next time you are in town!!
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2013 via mobile

Booked the room for half price and it was completely with full price. Beds were great, Showers was good, bathroom was really small, The AC is industrial power and can cool the room down in seconds. The hotel was great, the pool is very small but nice, the exercise room is insufficient. The sky lounge has an amazing setup and view. The restaurant.... We had the breakfast one time and I was able to perform a drum solo with their waffles because they were so hard, the bacon was old, I would never eat their breakfast again. Other than the restaurant I would recommend it to friends and family.

Stayed October 2013
1 Thank Brucewayne64
The Hague, The Netherlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2013

Second time we stayed here, convenient, clean, good beds, roomy and what a view..on the higher levels.
The breakfast is not realy our taste but hey...walk a few blocks and it is improving.
Perfect one night location to discover more of Mobile.

Room Tip: High floors do well.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2013

Ms. Maura and her staff went WAY above and beyond to meet the needs of all of her guests. I'm a flight attendant and I'm in a different hotel every night for three nights a week. I've been in 5 star hotels all the way to one star hotels. I have never been treated with the awesome southern hospitality that was shown to my and my co-worker while we stayed at the Holiday Inn Downtown Mobile. The hotel itself is unlike any other Holiday Inn I've stayed at. It's decorated beautifully!! The hotel lobby is very nice and they even have a great snack shop if you have any cravings for frozen snacks/candy/chips/drinks. The breakfast buffet was great with delicious food all for $10. The upstairs bar/lounge area is gorgeous!!! It's decorated so beautifully and has an amazing view. You must check it out! The room I had came with a fridge, microwave, super soft mattress, and an amazing view. It was very quiet---even on a busy weekend!! Ms. Maura treated us to lunch at the sister hotel next door and was even so kind to find us tickets to the music festival for free!! She treated is like royalty and I felt as if I was in her own home as you don't come across genuine people like that in the hospitality industry. If you are staying in Mobile, there is no other place to stay than here. It's unlike any hotel I've ever experienced with a top notch staff. Thanks again Ms. Maura for going out of your way to make sure I felt right at home. I can't wait to be back!

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank Crissilee
Buford, Georgia, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2013

Will definitely stay here again, the staff is very friendly, hotel is clean, and the view from the Sky View Lounge is great! Only visited the lounge 1 night, but enjoyed the view and the bartender (sorry I forgot her name) was great!

Room Tip: Hotel is round, our room looked out over the bay area.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Overland Park, Kansas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2013

This hotel is really as lovely inside as the photos show. The room sizes were huge and wonderful. We got in very late (3 AM) and the entrance was a bit tricky as there are other businesses that share the front area of the hotel. We drove to the side entrance and had an easier time finding which door was for the Holiday Inn. The male clerk was super helpful and cheerful even at that time in the morning. As we arrived so late I asked for a late check-out, which being a Platinum Member is always guaranteed for as late as 2 PM. However, housekeeping didn't bother to check the information and was banging on our door at 11 AM. Couple that with the hip-hop concert going on in the park beginning at 7 AM on a Saturday, we didn't sleep as well as we needed to. Seriously, who thinks that is a great time for a concert? Anyway, that was not the hotel's fault. But I called the front desk as knocking on our door certainly was. I was told that the gal at the front desk got in late that morning and the housekeeping staff had left without getting a print-out of who was checking-out late that day. Honestly, that was lame. I did complain at the front desk and the gal gave me a coupon for 1,000 points. Of course, I lost the dang coupon, but still the hotel itself was very lovely and the staff was at least willing to try and make it right.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family