“Centrally located, beautiful public area, but rooms need help”

Holiday Inn - Mobile Downtown/Historic District
Ranked #17 of 64 Hotels in Mobile
Houston, Texas
“Centrally located, beautiful public area, but rooms need help”
Reviewed March 11, 2012

My first impression of this hotel were good. The entryway and main public areas are wonderfully done. Fireplace, couches, trellises and staircases. The staff was courteous and helpful There's a small store where you can grab whatever snack/drink or other items you need and just tell the desk person your room number. The restaurant is decent and usually offers a southern breakfast buffet for $10. The hotel is walking distance to a number of bars and is two blocks from the Bankhead tunnel. Somewhat interesting is getting a room on a higher floor facing the shipyard and Gulf of Mexico. Now the not-so-great: Room was a bit dim and drab, only illumination was a table lamp and a light over the entryway. Bathroom door swings open barely an inch away from the toliet so it's rather cramped in there. The toliet takes 3-4 flushes to properly dispose of contents. There is a desk and chair in the room, but no electrical outlets anywhere nearby so plugging in your laptop there is out. The wifi is annoying because it asks you every five minutes to relog in with the hotel's password(I was there nearly a week so this was not a one-off technical problem). My other beef is that the lounge on the 17th floor has a $10 minimum for credit cards(the view from up there is pretty good though). Bonus item: novelty of staying in a round/circular hotel!

Room Tip: Since there is a bar/lounge/nightclub on 17th floor, do not take a room on 16th floor on Fri/Sat nig...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Scott-from-Texas
Scott G, General Manager at Holiday Inn - Mobile Downtown/Historic District, responded to this review, April 12, 2012
Your comments are welcome and rest assured we utilize them to improve our property and services. Thank you for taking the time to post your experience and provide your feedback.

Scott Garrett

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
Manchester
Reviewed March 3, 2012

I stayed here for one night in room 305.
This is the same floor as the gym and outdoor swimming pool which could have done with a good clean.
I must confess to being disappointed, in that the opulence and grandeur of the lobby area is not reflected elsewhere.
I arrived at 2100hrs and found checking in was fine.
My room had the customary twin double beds which featured a range of pillows with different firmness. I also had and iron and board, microwave , coffee machine, and a very noisy fridge which I unplugged straight away.
The air conditioning was also noisy but I had to keep this switched on due to the climate.
The digital wall mounted control for this was easy to understand and use.

The bathroom was much smaller than I anticipated but had everything you needed, except the exhaust ventilation was very poor.

I had a very poor nights sleep due to the nose from the air conditioning and the nearby train tracks with trains passing frequently during the night and sounding their horns.

This got worse when I went down for breakfast where despite the fact that very few people were eating I had to wait a disproportionate length of time before the waitress could be bothered to seat me at a table which had not been set up for service.
This resulted in a further wait for cutlery, juice and coffee.
The breakfast selection was very poor, even by American standards.
Low quality ingredients were used for the hot buffet breakfast.
No toaster, so toast is ordered via the waitress and you can probably guess by now how long that took to come.
So all in all a very disappointing stay.

On the plus side the hotel is ideally suited to Dauphine Street and the downtown area.
The top floor has a bar with very good views over the shipyards but it had closed early on the night I stayed.
Therefore I walked along to Dauphine Street and enjoyed the atmosphere is several of the bars.
There was no information to suggest any kind of room service was available.

In future I wouldn’t stay here again, as the rooms and service do not live up to the Holiday Inns reputation.
There are much better Marriott hotels to chose from downtown.

Room Tip: I guess try to ask for one as far away from the train tracks as possible.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
IHGCare, IHGCare at Holiday Inn - Mobile Downtown/Historic District, responded to this review, March 28, 2012
Dear rangestormer,

Thank you for your review and being so detailed in the good, the bad and the very good! Whilst I am pleased with the good and the really good comments, I truly thank you for bringing the service concern at the restaurant to our attention as this gives us the opportunity of improving what we already do. We will address these points and I hope that when you return you will see the improvements that have been made. Thank you again for your review.

Lin S.
IHGCare
Mobile, Alabama
Reviewed February 5, 2012

First I was "moved" from they hotel because that over sold. As owner for both hotels. Nice room but the TV did not work. Other 2 days and having 2 TVs in the still not one that worked. There is no follow through. BTW I called R times over 2 days before I gave up.

• Stayed February 2012
Coimbra, Portugal
Reviewed January 19, 2012

Very friendly staff. As soon as we walked in we were greeted by the friendly staff and treated very nicely. Food was great and i enjoyed the 12 million dollar renovation view of the hotel. Maura Garino the vice president and buissness developer was very friendly to the airline crew as soon as we walked in. 100% recomended if your staying in Mobile. The beds are very comfortable and very clean atmosphere.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Mobile, Alabama
Reviewed January 17, 2012

me and my family are from texas and was coming through mobile to go visit family in fairhope,and we stop by the holiday inn in downtown mobile and we spent the evening at the skyview lounge for some cocktails and not only was the view breathtaking ,but the bartender was so so wonderful .she made the best drinks and really showed her talent and was so kind and she is really a asset to this hotel ,we will be back for mardi gras and stay here , if,you are lucky enough to go here .ask for libby ..you won.t regret it ,i promise ,,

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank patricia d
Port Orange, Florida
Reviewed January 14, 2012

Good location downtown for anyone wanting to see Mobile on foot, or for military on TDY to the Mobile District or Support Center for the Corps of Engineers. 2 blocks walk to the heart of Dauphin St. Clean, comfortable hotel, but older - no flat screen TVs in rooms or anything like that. Breakfast is sit-down, or bufftet, but not free. Restraunt also serves (limited) dinner menu. Fitness room on premises, but small. I did not use the pool, but I was told there was one. 17th floor is a bar/lounge with good view of Mobile. Feels like the late 70s up there though. Free internet wifi and USA today great foe business travelers. Their shuttle does not go to airport, and airport shuttle service to downtown has been discontinued. Typical taxi one-way is $40.00 Front desk was very friendly and helped me with transportation arrangements. I would stay again if in downtown Mobile if need be, but might try somewhere else as well.

Room Tip: 5th floor was quiet, but stay a little higher up and ask for a view of of the water!
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank johnmc82
Moody, AL
Reviewed December 27, 2011

My husband and I spent one night at this very nice hotel before we left on our cruise the next day. The room we had was very large, very clean and the bed and linens were extremely comfortable. And, as a bonus, our room had a view of the bay, so we were able to see our cruise ship when it arrived into Mobile Bay the morning we left :) The staff was very helpful, allowing us to leave our car in hotel parking and arranging taxi service to get us back and forth from the docks. While I am aware that cruise ships are no longer leaving from Mobile Bay, I would still recommend this hotel for anyone staying in the area. Very nice place and we will definitely stay there again!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with view of the bay!
  • Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple