“Not until renovations are done”

Hampton Inn Mobile I-10/Bellingrath Gardens
Ranked #3 of 64 Hotels in Mobile
Lacey, Washington
“Not until renovations are done”
Reviewed August 8, 2007

This is a very old Hampton Inn located right off 90 (Governors) and very close to 65 and 10 (this hotel is in the Tillman Corner area, so be careful, because there is another hotel listed as Tillman Corner- the property in my review is on Inn Rd.). There are a bunch of restaurants in the area, and a few within walking distance. I wouldn’t say this is the best part of town to stay in, but I didn’t feel unsafe. There is a newer Hampton on I-65 where I stayed last time, however they were sold out on this trip, probably will try and stay there next time.

Check-in/Lobby
Accommodated my requests and the check-in staff were very helpful and friendly. There was an evening reception going on when I first got there with snacks and drinks in the breakfast area, nice touch.

Room
First thing you notice is that the door to the room is really old, so gives you an indication of what is inside. The carpet is what I call “socks carpet.” It isn’t carpet I feel real comfortable walking on bear feet. It wasn’t overly dirty or stained; I just didn’t feel comfortable walking on it without socks or shoes.

The room it self is just old, from the pictures on the wall, to the wallpaper hanging, to the older TV with junky old remote (at least it had closed caption). The bed was fine, a good combination of poly and feather pillows, linens were clean, but the headboard kind of creaked a bit too much. There is a desk and chair, with a lamp with electrical outlets, which I like (can recharge easily) and they offer high speed in the room. The wall AC unit looked newer, but the temperature control wasn’t great. I like it moderately cold when I sleep, but because the duvets at Hampton are heavier than I like, was just using a sheet. The low AC, not set all the way to cool, was just too cold. Eventually had to use the duvet, as I was too lazy to get up, so needless to say, didn’t sleep great. AC unit was a bit noisy, but don’t mind that, like background noise.

Overall noise in the room wasn’t too bad, although you do hear doors slamming in other rooms pretty clear. I do have a bit peeve though. The iron was disgusting. Someone had burned it and there was crud on it. It actually smoked when I turned it on. I tried to use Purell to clean it off (after I was told there were no other irons available) and it didn’t do much. It may have stained my clothes (I’ll know after I wash them). Was not real happy about that. I can deal with an older room, as long as it is clean, but there have to be some basics there. Having a junky dirty iron isn’t acceptable, especially since I couldn’t get a replacement.

Amenities
There is a small fitness center with a treadmill and elliptical, and the hotel has a small outdoor pool. The business center was nice, two newer computers, printers and supplies. Was nice to be able to print my boarding pass out.

In the evening there were cookies and popcorn in the lobby, which was a nice touch. Breakfast was the usual continental type fare and they had plenty of breakfast bags for people on the go (water, cereal bar, muffin, fruit, mints).

Overall
I believe I saw something in the lobby that they are renovating this hotel. Until they do, I can’t recommend it. The hotel wasn’t dirty (except for the iron), but I just didn’t feel it was worth the $110 my company shelled out for my room. If you can get a room for under $75, maybe, but I wouldn’t pay more than that. Really need some rehab, and housekeeping has got to have a better surplus.

• Liked — Friendly staff, close to interstate and office, breakfast
  • Disliked — OLD, dirty iron, outdated rooms
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank RedHeadGo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Pittsburgh
Reviewed June 13, 2007

The perfect home away from home and the next best thing to staying with family. My family and I had to make a emergency trip "home" as my father-in-law was dying and only had days left. We called the hotel on a Monday afternoon and drove from Pittsburgh, Pa to Mobile straight through so we were ready to check in and get some much needed rest the next afternoon. Although our room was not ready they provided another room to us for no additional charge. The staff was most gracious and supportive of us, checking to make sure everything was ok with not only the room but our overall stay. The accomodations were terrific. WiFi access and business center were fantastic! Unfortunately, I lost my father-in-law but found an extended family amongst the staff. The hospitality shown to us was unforgetable at a time when we needed it the most. A definate recommendation to anyone who is traveling for any reason to Tillman's Corner! God Bless you all if you read this.

Stayed April 2007
2 Thank egallen
Baton Rouge, LA
Reviewed March 29, 2007

The room did not make a good first impression. The walls were barren aside from 1 small painting. The A/C had issues keeping the room clean; the carpet needed to be replaced; the comforter had stains; and the sink in the bathroom would not drain. Also, at night, the sink in the bathroom backed up, constantly filling our sink up with watery debris. The hotel had a couple of positives such as the well-lit parking and attentive cleaning staff. However, even though my wife and I chose this hotel for our anniversary night because it stated it was close to Bellingrath, we were both highly disappointed. There were other hotels equally close that would have been a much better value for our money. For $130/night, this hotel by far was not worth the price.

• Liked — housekeeping
  • Disliked — quality of the room for the price
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
Texas gal
Reviewed February 20, 2007

Rooms were very clean & the beds were comfortable. We really enjoyed our stay. Staff was so pleasant & friendly!

• Liked — cleanliness
  • Disliked — had to walk thru smokers clustered around outside door
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank ginab99
Montgomery
Reviewed January 13, 2007

We came for a conference in Mobile and the stay was fine. The room was clean & quiet, and all of the furniture was in good condition.

The lobby and breakfast area was small but adequate. The food was good and plentiful. The staff was extra nice to everyone and gave excellent information on local eateries.

Nice workout room as well. We will stay there again in the future.

• Stayed January 2006, traveled on business
3 Thank TravelingRev
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 24, 2005

Last week, my husband and I spent the night at this Hampton, and we had a very pleasant stay. The staff was extremely helpful, offering maps, directions, and recommendations for dining. They also allowed us to check in early. The room was clean and well-maintained. The hotel also offered a free hot breakfast and free drinks and snacks in the early evening. We would definitely stay there again if we find ourselves back in Mobile.

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Toronto
Reviewed February 1, 2005

We stayed here in March 2004 on route from Mobile to New Orleans. It is a convenient stopping point and fairly close to Bellingrath Gardens, which are well worth the visit.

Hotel staff were extremely friendly, the room was quiet and clean as usual at Hampton Inns, and the breakfast was very good.

• Stayed March 2004