“Absolutely great”

Ranked #15 of 64 Hotels in Mobile
London, United Kingdom
“Absolutely great”
Reviewed October 31, 2011

OK so this is not an ultra 'modern' hotel, but it doesn't claim to be. Yes the rooms are a little 'outdated' but so what. The hotel/rooms were spotlessly clean, and has everything you could want (free internet, a guest laundry, free breakfast AND evening meals on weeknights, and a pool!).

The staff were all extremely professional and helpful, which is a bonus! We had a double bed suite, which had plenty of room, all the basics you could need to stay in and cook something for yourself (there is a shop behind the reception which sells some basic items, although you might struggle to find things to cook with unless you have a car to get to a supermarket). The bed was MASSIVE and AMAZINGLY comfortable!! A little weird having the sink/mirror in the bedroom rather than the bathroom, but not a problem I guess.

Oh, there is also free coffee/tea/water on tap in the reception area all day, which was a nice touch. Worth mentioning the hotel has a free shuttle bus that can drop you off/pick you up within a 3 mile radius - we used this to get to and from the Airport (just 10 mins away) which was very helpful indeed.

Perhaps worth saying its not very close to Downtown Mobile - we managed to get the on the bus once, which was an experience! But seriously, I think you really need a car to get around(this is probably true of many American cities...the lack of pavements (ok, sidewalks if you must) is quite evident! I guess it depends why you are staying at this hotel - I doubt for 'leisure' so much, but we were vising the University which was very nearby so perfect.

There is a TGI Friday's right opposite, and various restaurants on the main street a little distance away...including Cici's Pizza and a good Mexican place (the only places we could find that did anything vaguely vegetarian in the whole city!) and the portions are MASSIVE for not very much, we couldn't manage it all!

To sum up - clean, polite staff, very comfy bed, free internet, decent free breakfast and evening food, close to Airport, free shuttle...what more could you want?

Room Tip: Some slight noise from the air conditioning units for rooms on the bottom floor facing the pool (rat...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
MHWS, Director of Sales at Homewood Suites by Hilton Mobile, responded to this review, November 11, 2011
Thank you for taking a moment to share your experience. I am happy to hear you were able to enjoy our complimentary shuttle to and from Mobile Regional Airport and for trips to University of South Alabama. I appreciate your feedback on area restaurants - we've updated our menu guide to include more vegetarian options! We look forward to servicing your travel needs at the Homewood Suites should you return to the Mobile area.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Reviewed October 30, 2011

The people at the hotel were very attentive to anything I needed. They went out of their way to accomadate the room I needed and the staff is super friendly as well. I would definetly return to this hotel and recommend all my friends here. It is also conveniently located close to two great restaurants.

• Stayed November 2010
MOBILE
Reviewed October 30, 2011

A few months ago the ceiling in my living room caved in, and I was forced to move out for one month.
Stressed beyond compare, I chose Homewood Suites as it was in poximity to my home.
I'd stayed at Hilton Properties with work thoughout the US, but never in my own city.
To whom it may concern,
I have NEVER been treated so well in ANY hotel that I've ever had to stay. The management was stellar.
Housekeeping bent over backwards for me.
The lodge was warm and inviting.
The complimentary meals that were offered almost daily were enjoyable, and my anxiety of not being at my own home was greatly reduced.
So many other amenities that you'll find out for yourself.
I've been back into this property, and see some of my old friends that brought me through a real tough time in my life, and they always welcome me as a member of the family.
The new General Manager, Michael Brunger, has made himself available to Mobile's local philanthopies and causes as well!
I was a man in need of help, and Homewood Suites by Hilton in Mobile, Alabama answered the call to arms.
I will always be grateful to these fine caring folks and encourage you to find out for yourself exactly what I am talking about.
I've lived here since 1973, and I could have stayed anywhere.
Many successes and welcome to my beautiful city and this beautiful hotel should you choose to visit.
You'll be so glad of your decisions.
Ray

Room Tip: I loved being at the end of the corridor on the first floor as there is a door (that is secured) to...
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank RAYMOND W
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed October 13, 2011

I loved the free dinner! I was not aware of such a thing! Breakfast was great as well. The room we had was very clean and the staff was great!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
MHWS, Director of Sales at Homewood Suites by Hilton Mobile, responded to this review, October 14, 2011
Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a nice review. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay with us. We hope to see you again soon!!
Hudson Valley, NY
Reviewed September 6, 2011

We spent one night in a 2-bedroom suite at the Homewood Suites. Check-in was friendly and quick. We had a little bit of trouble finding our room as only certain elevators can be used to access certain rooms and the signage wasn’t all that clear. The room was a little worn in spots but appeared to be clean. The room had water and cookies waiting for HHONORS guests. The suites include a kitchen, and the room had a DVD player and a bag of microwave popcorn. There was also popcorn and coffee available in the lobby, even on a weekend which was a nice touch. It took me a couple of tries to get the wireless internet to work, but it was free. I also used the business center which was quick and easy. We found the hotel to be very quiet both inside and out.

There were two things that were kind of annoying, neither of which the staff would be able to fix. First, the bedroom curtains hang a bit away from the window, allowing more light to come into the room from the courtyard at night than I like. I prefer a dark bedroom (but a nightlight in the bathroom, which they didn’t have). Second, Hilton did a pretty lousy job designing the room layout. To get 2 bedrooms, there is a connecting door between what they sometimes rent as 2 separate rooms, but if that connecting door is open, it smashes into the hallway door if it gets opened. Opening the refrigerator means you smash the chair at the kitchen table. It just felt like I was moving furniture a lot. Not a big deal, but just kind of annoying.

When I booked the room I was thinking we had stayed here before, but when pulling in realized we had stayed at the Hampton Inn across the street last time. I think I preferred the Hampton Inn, but the Homewood Suites may have been less expensive for multiple rooms), so not sure which one I’d stay at if I were in the area again.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed August 12, 2011

I was impressed at how distgusting my room was. If we had arrived hours earlier I would have checked out of this hotel. It smelled musty, the carpets were stained, there was mold and mildew growing on toilets, showers. Base Boards were caked with dirt and hair. There was blood on my sheets from previous guests.
I took photos to send in....BEWARE! The front desk was
apologetic and comped our stay. Not sure how these obviously professional people would allow the state of their hotel to fall so low.

• Stayed August 2011
1 Thank TravelingCritic101
MHWS, Director of Sales at Homewood Suites by Hilton Mobile, responded to this review, August 17, 2011
First of all, thank you for your candid feedback of your stay with us. I apologize that we did not meet expectations and I am actively working with our housekeeping team to ensure cleanliness and comfort are our first priority. I understand the condition of room was of concern, I am always looking for reviews to provide insight into our guest experience and I will keep your review in mind as we look towards refresh options. Thank you again for your feedback and I invite you back to stay with us the next time your travels bring you to Mobile.
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 26, 2011

I will definitely stay here every time i am in Mobile!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business