“Southern comfort...really!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Mobile
The Kate Shepard House Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 4 Mobile B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 11, 2014

I made my way to Mobile for an industry conference, and due to the timing of the event (Right on the heels of Mardi Gras) and my tardiness in booking a room, my options were few and far between. When I finally stumbled on Wendy and the Kate Shepard House B&B, I was equal parts relieved and enthusiastic: She had 2 rooms (for me and my travel companions) and it looked like it was well received, the photos were cute, it had been in some magazines, breakfast was included.
But upon my arrival, I changed my mind. Wendy is the most gracious hostess, and the detail, comfort and history of the home is incredible! She thinks of every detail (notes at the door for late check in, cookies and port in the butlers pantry for evening nightcaps, lovely smelling soaps in my room, Mardi Gras decorations and treats in each room)
I stayed in the Barber's Room, and it was fabulous. The bed was exceedingly comfortable, the bathroom housed an incredible slipper tub (admittedly, no shower, though taking a bath each night before bed was awfully luxurious!) Waking up each morning to the smell of Wendy cooking breakfast was better than any alarm clock, and coming back to a tidied room with the radio softly playing each evening was truly a thoughtful touch.
Speaking of breakfast, it was fabulous. Wendy was kind enough to cook us breakfast early each morning, which really made our stay that much better. She accommodated allergies with ease and her menu was absolutely delicious. Drop biscuits, souffles, praline french toast, fresh orange juice and hot coffee. This place has guest satisfaction dialed.

I wasn't particularly excited for my first trip to Mobile, but I can't wait for my second!

Room Tip: I loved the Barber's Room, but the bathroom had a slipper bathtub in lieu of a shower, and there...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank travelingpancreas

Reviewed March 5, 2014

The house is a southern gem...Wendy welcomed us graciously even though we arrived a few hours before scheduled check-in. The neighborhood is beautiful. It is close to downtown and great restaurants. Wendy provided restaurant recommendations and helped us with places to see. The breakfasts were delicious...especially the Pecan Praline French Toast.

Room Tip: We enjoyed Isabele's room
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Judi W
Reviewed March 1, 2014

This is a wonderful historic, intimate and friendly B&B, with great access to downtown Mobile. The B&B, which is located on a beautiful side street near downtown, has only three rooms- so book early. Wendy, the innkeeper, couldn't be more welcoming or friendly. Available the moment we arrived, she provided excellent recommendations to local Mobile restaurants, places to see, a terrific full breakfast in the morning, along with a history of the Kate Shepard House. She also had great insight into where to stay, eat and visit in New Orleans, where we were headed next. Would definitely stay at the KSH on our next visit!

Room Tip: Only one room has a full shower, the others have handhelds and tubs. If that's a priority be sur...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Edward A
Reviewed January 21, 2014

"Elegant, historically authentic setting", "exquisitely crafted, gourmet breakfasts", and "genuine warmth in the friendly hospitality" are a small sampling of our thoughts as we left Mobile. We actually stayed an extra night just to luxuriate in the comfort and nurturing environment created by owners, Wendy and Bill.

This stately, old home stands alone in her loving and professional restoration; much of her original woodwork left with its aged patina. We entered the foyer feeling genuinely welcomed by not only our hostess, Wendy, but the inviting décor. It was as though we had stepped back into the old South of another century enjoining us to make ourselves at home anywhere from parlor to dining room. Everywhere we looked, there was something fascinating to see. Our spacious room with its own bath was immaculately clean as was the rest of the home; no dust, grease, or cobwebs, and the bed was so-o-o-o comfy.

On a scale of 1 to 5, we give it a solid 10 on every front. When we left, we felt as if we were leaving old friends (and that includes the home).

Room Tip: It was all good. It is on a quiet street.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank James M
Reviewed January 4, 2014 via mobile

All reviews on this B&B have been dead on; Mrs. Wendy and the Kate Shepard House are true Southern Gems.

I cannot speak more highly of this B&B and its owner.  It was an all around 5 STAR Stay!  The house was a phenomenal piece of work, the rooms large and welcoming! The beds were extremely comfortable, the claw foot bathtub begged for an occupant, the breakfast was over-the-top delicious, and all the while our hostess made sure our every need was attended to.

My friend and I are locals, so we know true Southern Hospitality when we see it; Mrs. Wendy epitomizes that spirit!  She immediately made us feel welcome to her home, and then proceeded to attend to any New Year’s Eve arrangements that were needed.  On this particular day our College team was playing in an early broadcast Bowl Game… Mrs. Wendy had the TV tuned to ESPN when we walked through the door (Gotta love a woman who knows the importance of SEC football!) so we did not miss a single second of what turned out to be a wonderful finish to a mediocre season!

We will not hesitate to recommend this B&B to our friends and family, and there is no doubt we will stay here again in the future.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SouthernVoiceBiloxi
Reviewed December 16, 2013

Terrific hostess with warm welcome and great attention to every detail. Wendy told of the priceless collection of letters and documents found in the attic which span over 100 years of history in the South. Food was wonderful. I cannot say enough nice things about our stay except this will be our home of choice when in Mobile.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 14, 2013

This was my second stay at this lovely B&B. my husband was with me for my second stay and he HATES B&B's until he met Wendy and stayed at the Kate Shepard House. Wendy is a superb cook and the home is spacious, inviting and immacuately clean! Not only are the breakfast's to die for, but there is always gourmet coffee's, an assortment of fine tea's, real cream and/or milk, a freshly baked treat such as cake or cookies, and sherry and port wine - all with fine china and lead crystal. Wendy clearly loves what she does and is passionate about making your stay a first class one! If only I could take Wendy and her hospitality with me on all of my travels.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank DrLynn50
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mobile
2 mi away
Berney Fly Bed and Breakfast
Point Clear Cottages
Point Clear Cottages
#1 of 9 in Fairhope

Been to The Kate Shepard House Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!