“overall a great experience”

The Battle House Renaissance Mobile Hotel & Spa
Ranked #3 of 64 Hotels in Mobile
Mississippi
“overall a great experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2010

Immediately following our wedding reception, my new husband and I pulled up to the Battle House in our stretch SUV limo with lots of luggage from our wedding, for the two nights we were staying in Mobile, and for the weeklong honeymoon we would be taking. There was no valet to help us get our luggage up the stairs into the lobby. After we finally made it into the lobby, obviously struggling in our full wedding garb, no one offered to help with our luggage.
Although the arrival process left MUCH to be desired, our room and the remaining experience was wonderful. We had a corner room- very comfortable and clean with a huge bathroom. The bed very comfortable, but the train located somewhere nearby did wake me up several times throughout the night.
We had a great breakfast in the trellis room. The service there was excellent.
Arrangement for transportation to the airport at 430 in the morning was fairly easy. We approached the front desk for advice, and they offered to make arrangements. When we didn't hear from them several hours later, a quick phone call to the front solved the issue. Modern Limo was waiting to take us to the airport that next morning right on time... DEFINITELY recommend their transportation services for both towncar & limo.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (189)
Mobile, AL
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2010

Beautiful property and location. Probably the 2nd best lobby in the world. Uncaring staff. Ghetto valet service that is sub-contracted out. Close to being a 5 start property but not quite making it. Rough around the edges. Overall summary = nice building - sorry staff.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank Evictor
Montgomery, AL
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2010

I spend close to 100 nights a year in hotels throughout the US. I try to stay at Marriott bands when possible. This hotel would rate at the middle of the pack among the Courtyard brand. The temperature is impossible to control in the rooms. My wife had housekeeping deliver a blanket to our room, it was disgusting. Breakfast in the hotel restaurant was a buffet with a very limited selection and the food was just warm. This hotel has the potential to be a class hotel, I would guess that a change in management and some remedial training for the staff could fix the problems. Prior to my stay at the Battle House, we had spent three nights at the Grand Hotel in Point Clear. This is another high end Marriott property that has it right. Maybe Marriott should send management from the Grand to the Battle House.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank traveltt
Atanta
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2010

I brought my wife to Mobile to visit Bellingrath Gardens for her birthday, and we were delightfully surprised with our stay in the Battle House Hotel. The hotel is a beautiful historic renovation. The rooms are large, comfortable, immaculate, and very high quality. Everyone on the staff was friendly and helpful. A minor negative is the location. Downtown Mobile is struggling. We had wonderful dinner at the Cafe Royal down the street from the hotel, but there are very few shops and attractions in that neighborhood. We have stayed in top rated hotels in NY, Bermuda, San Francisco, London, Paris, and Rome. The Battle House is as nice or better than all that we have visited.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Jackson, MS
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2010

Service was great. Beautiful hotel. Large, clean rooms with huge bathrooms. Would definitely recommend staying here if you are traveling to mobile.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2010

We were traveling through Mobile and stopped for one night at the Battle House. We had 2 connecting rooms which was perfect for our family of 6. The front desk staff was great and helped accommodate our specific room request. Both the pool and exercise facilities were top notch.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
Atlanta, GA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2010

The Battle House promotes itself as the area's only AAA four diamond hotel. So, I admittedly had relatively high expectations when I first checked in. The original hotel building (grand lobby with domed ceiling) is beautiful. However, the customer service provided by the hotel fell far short of expectations. Initially, I was put in a room with an overwhelming scent of air freshener. That, and with the bed slightly rumpled and sliding glass door still cracked open, it seemed apparent that I was not the first guest that day to check into that room and then promptly find the smell of the room intolerable, warranting a departure from the room before I ever even began to get settled. The next room that they put me in was an improvement in that it did not have the same pungent odor. Overall, the room was adequate (not 4 diamond by any means, but generally in good condition). Traveling for work, I arrived later in the evening. Once I was settled into the second, non-odiferous room, I found that the restaurant at the hotel shuts down at 10 pm and the hotel has absolutely no other food alternatives (not even a vending machine) for guests thereafter. This is particularly problematic given that the entire downtown area shuts down early, from a food / restaurant perspective. Plus, the lack of concern, suggestions or assistance from the hotel staff in response to my requests for some sort of food, since I had a chance to eat at all that day, was minimal at best. I ended up going to bed hungry, too tired to fight to find food. Then, the next morning, my request for a late check out (so that I could walk a few blocks to one of the local breakfast spots) was curtly denied. I ended up checking out, and then walking to get breakfast, gazing with new-found increased interest at the downtown Holiday Inn and Hampton Inn as I passed by them. The Battle House looks and sounds good at first blush, but is lacking in many respects. My advice would be to save your money and stay at one of the other hotels in the downtown area instead. The Battle House is simply not all that it is cracked up to be, and is definitely not worth the 4 diamond rates.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business