“Love the Battle House!!”

The Battle House Renaissance Mobile Hotel & Spa
Ranked #6 of 64 Hotels in Mobile
Florida
“Love the Battle House!!”
Reviewed March 2, 2009

I recently stayed one night with my mother to celebrate her 75th Birthday.
The accomodations were beautiful and clean.
The hotel staff was extremely helpful and pleasant to deal with.
We had dinner in the Trellis room which was pricey but well worth it. The Kobe Beef appetizer was great and they have a wonderful wine list. Our server, Hollie, was outstanding.
Breakfast in the Trellis room was a bit chaotic and while they were clearly understaffed for the amount of people that came in, the employees went above and beyond to ensure everyone was well fed and satisfied.
My only complaint is that the wireless internet was very difficult to use and I had to call Tech Support in the end. Also, the hotel charges for the service but they tell me once their contract is up with the server they will provide free wifi throughout the hotel. Once they rectify the wifi issue my next stay at the Battle House will be just perfect!
Don't forget to try the Whispering Arch on the 2nd floor and smell the fresh Gardenias in every alcove. Very nice touch.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (193)
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
Reviewed February 18, 2009

Nice hotel. I was in town for a conference and the Renaissance was booked the first night so I stayed at the Battle House. Very nice hotel. Beyond the friendly and helpful staff, beyond the immaculate lobby, beyond the great location, the room was OUTSTANDING. All for $169 a night, a real deal. Highly recommend!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
Enterprise, Alabama
Reviewed January 10, 2009

We traveled the the Battle House based on reviews and the charm of such a beautiful, historic hotel. Upon arrival I was a little concerned because there were numerous hotel employees out front just goofing off. It was mid-afternoon and some may have been changing shifts. When we drove up, however, the staff was very helpful with our luggage, valet parking, etc. Check in was easy and quick and the young man who carried our luggage up was very nice.

The room on the third floor was very pretty but a little dark. When I went to open the curtains I found out why. We had a view of the lovely ceiling in the lobby (from the top side) and the inner walls of the hotel.

The beds were comfortable, the bathroom nice but we did have a few issues. The carpet had little pieces of paper on it and did not appear to be vacuumed well. Also, when we started to go to bed one of the beds had stained sheets. For me that was pretty bad. I called the front desk and they had someone come up and change the bed. Still, stained sheets are really not acceptable to me.

The hotel itself is very beautiful. The whispering arch is awesome. You must ask about it, though. You cannot figure it out without knowing where to go. There is a rooftop garden on the 8th floor which allows beautiful views.

The breakfast was wonderful - best grits I have ever eaten. All of the staff we encountered were absolutely wonderful.

I probably would try another hotel down the road and walk to The Battle House to admire the building once again. I might give this place another shot but would ask for a room with a better view. Hopefully the housekeeping issue was an exception, not the rule.

• Liked — Beautiful hotel - one of the most beautiful I have seen due to the architecture.
  • Disliked — Housekeeping Issue / View
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank GermFreak
Ohio
Reviewed January 5, 2009

This is a great renovation of an old hotel. Beautiful exterior, amazing interior, small, but stylish and comfortable rooms.

Didn't know what to expect with this old beauty, but was thoroughly impressed. A walk through the lobby is like going back in time. Found the staff to be very friendly and accommodating.

The guestroom is on the small side, but still comfortable and well stocked with all the modern amenities.

They offer both wired and wireless internet at $9.99 (Jan 2009), but I was only able to connect to the wired signal. Found power outlets close enough to work from both the bed and the desk.

Older standard definition TV, no HD offerings yet.

Bathroom was pretty cool. Bright lighting, nice counter top, a bath tub, and a tiled shower.

It's a minor thing, but my room did not have stationary or hotel postcards in the desk or the guest services information binder.

Valet parking was quick at less than 5 minutes to pick up a car. The hotel advises there is no self parking garage that they own, and I didn't investigate any local garages in the area. During my stay they had to move the hotel entrance to the Battle House office tower horse shoe entrance on a side street after a parade closed down access to the hotel's entrance for a few hours. The staff was quick to adapt to the new challenge and it presented little inconvenience to guests.

My only complaint was the noise seeping through from the connecting room doors from the adjacent suite. Nothing too distracting, but I'd rather not hear other guests rustling during my stay.

Asked for a room with a view, and the front desk agent admitted most rooms have pretty bad views. To top it off the view I did have was hindered by filthy glass.

Overall I can't wait to come back and stay at this great old hotel with a clean, modern touch.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank IntegrityTravel
S. California
Reviewed January 4, 2009

Exceptional service at a great hotel. Very friendly and helpful staff. A modern hotel would likely provide a larger room, but it would not be worth it.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
Mobile
Reviewed December 17, 2008

I live in Mobile and I have visited the Battle House a few times for business. Don't leave without doing the whispering arches. Just ask the person at the front desk where it is. You stand on one end of the arch and get someone else to stand on the other. Face away from each other and whisper. The person on the other end can hear you. Very fun to do.

• Stayed May 2008
Florida
Reviewed December 9, 2008

Unlike Stephenonly, our experience was quite satisfactory. The valets were quick and efficient. The young man who took our luggage to the room was friendly and made small talk. We requested and received an early check-in. The hotel was not very busy the day after Thanksgiving, so we were given an upgrade to the club floor. The receptionist was extremely polite and accommodating. The room in the historic section was very nice, lots of room and very clean. We were early enough for the breakfast. The club floor lounge breakfast consisted of eggs, grits, bacon, fruits, many different pastries, coffee, milk and fresh squeezed orange juice. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and will definitely return to the Battle House.

• Liked — Nice size bathrooms
  • Disliked — Lighted mirror in bathroom did not work
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled on business