“Opulent but not Snobby - Very Nice!”

The Battle House Renaissance Mobile Hotel & Spa
Ranked #4 of 64 Hotels in Mobile
Tampa, Florida
“Opulent but not Snobby - Very Nice!”
Reviewed February 25, 2014

We were very impressed by the opulence of the battle house with it's beautiful atrium lobby and grandeur - almost as if stepping onto the set of Downton Abby. It was a weekday - just a short trip for an anniversary get-away - so it was very quiet. The room, we had a corner balcony which was a bit odd as it is shared by the next suite and really has no view (unless one were to step out onto the balcony - the french door is frosted so no view). There was one large window which overlooked the back of the older section of the hotel. But we knew this wasn't a hotel known for striking views of the water or skyline. The bathroom,as other reviewers had noted, was nice and we enjoyed the deep tub.

Although we had reservations at Ruth's Chris we opted to indulge in room service. With lightening quick service, upon delivery we were still basking in our cozy bathrobes (love a resort/hotel with bathrobes)

The newer portion of the hotel is just steps away from the lobby - not a long walk as some indicated. Though if you are walking challenged then the older section is probably your preference. However, the spa is WAY out of the way - one needs to walk over an exterior bridge to reach the parking garage to finally reach it. And here's some advice: sell bathing suits, someone is bound to have forgotten theirs. ;)

The restaurant - Joe Cain Cafe - had great paninis and an interesting mardi gras theme. Royal Oak Tavern looked very welcoming but we didn't partake (next time). We thought of dining in the Trellis Room but it seemed too bright and less romantic than we like (for our anniversary).

We are definitely coming back if we're in the area - this hotel is very well managed.

Room Tip: I would opt for the older section of the hotel as the rooms in the tower seem more obstructed.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank PalmBeacher06
Scott M, Manager at The Battle House Renaissance Mobile Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, February 27, 2014
Your review of the Battle House Hotel & Spa was so wonderful! Your descriptions were some of the best I have read. Thank you so much for such a wonderful review! I appreciate your business and for taking the time to send in your comments and feedback. I took your advice and spoke to the Spa Director about selling bathing suits in the future. She is going to follow up on this suggestion. I am happy to hear you enjoyed the In Room Dining and the robes!

We look forward to your return visit! Happy Anniversary!!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (189)
Muscle Shoals, Alabama
Reviewed February 23, 2014

This hotel holds so much charm...The hotel lobby is magnificent! Our room was spacious & gorgeous. Our room was in the historic part facing the parade and our room was very quite.. Everyone was polite and see to all our needs.The valet went above & beyond...super nice young men~ Loved that we were right at the Mardi Gras parades.... Great security...Royal Street Tavern was good and the pizza at the Joe Cain Cafe was wonderful!

Room Tip: Our Room in the 7th floor features Club lounge access... Quieter rooms, Complimentary food: - Cont...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Michelle H
Thank you for sharing your Mardi Gras experience at the Battle House Hotel & Spa. I appreciate your kind words and review of your stay. I will share your review with the rest of the hotel ambassadors. Thank you for mentioning the Valet ambassadors and the Security ambassadors. They will be excited to see your great comments.

I hope you will visit the hotel during next year's Mardi Gras season.

Thank you for your business and taking the time to submit your review!
Fairhope, Alabama
Reviewed February 23, 2014 via mobile

Another fine stay at this wonderful hotel! We attend a Mardi Gras Ball every year and this is the only place we ever think about staying. You have to experience it for yourself! Everything about it is first class. From the rooms,to the staff and the food you will not find better quality in Mobile. Highly recommended.

Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank MowerManZ71
Scott M, Manager at The Battle House Renaissance Mobile Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, February 25, 2014
Thank you for being such a loyal customer to the Battle House Hotel & Spa. I appreciate that you use the hotel to celebrate Mardi Gras each year. I am happy to hear that the hotel and its ambassadors meet your expectations. We look forward to having you return next year for Mardi Gras season! Thank you for recommending the hotel!
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed February 23, 2014

Beautiful hotel tucked-in downtown Mobile. The foyer and the lobby were beautiful with high lofted ceilings. The room was large, with an elegant bath (granite counter tops, soaking tub, and glass shower) that was spotless. The hotel had 2 bars/restaurants that were nice and reasonably priced. Since I did not make the reservation, I was surprised that that the hotel only had valet parking. The only other options are private lots nearby that also charge about $20 a day. That was no big issue, but something I should have researched beforehand. I highly recommend that travelers checkout The Battlehouse.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank BlakeD657
Thank you for your great descriptions of the Battle House Hotel & Spa! I appreciate your feedback and enjoyed reading your review. I hope you will have the opportunity to return to the hotel in the future. The hotel does only offer valet parking due to the location in downtown Mobile and limited self parking options. I apologize if our valet services caused you any inconveniences during your stay.
Pensacola, Florida
Reviewed February 22, 2014 via mobile

Surrounded by Mobiles, culture, flair, entertainment and parades. Great for Bay Fest, Mardi Gra parades with a family flair for fun. Walking distance to convention center local restaurants and clubs. Clean hotel with a southern flair especially if you are in the older part of the hotel.

Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Scott M, Manager at The Battle House Renaissance Mobile Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, February 24, 2014
I'm glad you enjoyed Mobile and your stay at the Battle House Hotel & Spa. Thank you for your feedback. I appreciate your business and for posting your feedback about the hotel and the city.
I hope you will have the opportunity to return in the future. We look forward to your return to Mobile!
Gulf Shores, Alabama
Reviewed February 21, 2014

This hotel was amazing! The interior just blew me away. We were there for a Mardi Gra Ball on Valentines Day. The staff was most helpful. I give high praise to Paul the manager of the kitchen. We had a little miscommunication with the night staff that checked us in and the morning staff regarding the breakfast hour. Maryanna and Paul were so nice. They made everything right. They opened back up the restaurant and allowed us to come in and enjoy a hot breakfast as they were making the transition to lunch. THEY WERE WONDERFUL. I highly recommend the Battle house.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Scott M, Manager at The Battle House Renaissance Mobile Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, February 23, 2014
Thank you for spending your Mardi Gras experience at the Battle House Hotel & Spa. I apologize for any miscommunication in regards to breakfast, but I am happy to hear two of the hotel's ambassadors, Paul and Maryanna were able to assist and make your stay enjoyable.

I appreciate your business and thank you for your feedback!

Happy Mardi Gras!
Madisonville, Louisiana
Reviewed February 18, 2014

My wife and I just stayed at the Battle House for 3 nights. The hotel is in downtown Mobile. The hotel lobby is magnificent; it reminds you of the turn of the century. It actually has a lot of history. The downtown area has some unique places to eat. The area, though, appears to be slowly dying- which is a real shame.

The hotel room was very spacious for a standard room. The bed was very comfortable. The bathroom had a shower and a separate bath tub. Being an old building, the rooms lack sound proofing so you hear your neighbor breath!

We got personal service. However, housekeeping was poor. Let me explain my experience: our room had a glass of milk in the refrigerator from a previous guest. The shower stall had hair in the wall from a the previous guest. The housekeeper emptied one garbage can but not the other. I also had to leave a note for the coffee canister to be replenished. You would think that in a hotel of this caliber these things would not occur.

The spa area is in a totally separate building. You access it via the third floor cat walk. Once we got there, the first thing I noticed is that the gym area is small. The spa area is also small and offers a steam room and hot tub. Treatments are overly priced (as they usually are in places like these).

The pool is in the spa building as well. It is moderate in size.

Despite of my negative comments, it still is a great place to stay. I do recommend it. I think I just had a bad housekeeper!!!! I left my comment card at the front desk upon check out. So far, I have not heard from anyone in the hotel.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Scott M, Manager at The Battle House Renaissance Mobile Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, February 20, 2014
Thank you for sharing your feedback from your recent stay at the Battle House Hotel & Spa. I am happy to hear your overall stay was a good one. I have followed up with the Housekeeping Manager and we have addressed your concerns with the team. Thank you for bringing this information to my attention so that we could follow up and correct immediately.

I hope that you will be able to return in the future. We look forward to seeing you again.

Again, thank you for your feedback and I apologize for the lack of housekeeping service you received during your stay at the hotel.