“Very impressed”

Ranked #6 of 64 Hotels in Mobile
Oxford
“Very impressed”
Reviewed October 25, 2013

I spent only 1 night here as part of a 2 week tour of the Deep South, and it was probably the best hotel of the trip. It is old, beautifully restored, and comfortable.
We appreciated all the facilities offered, used the outdoor pool, which was warm (at the end of October) also the bar, which had a comedian in for the evening, and had breakfast in the very grand dining room.
Mobile is not a large town, and you can walk to the main street in a couple of minutes.
Parking at the hotel is expensive, but we parked on a meter on the street, which is free from 5pm, and all weekend.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Scott M, Manager at The Battle House Renaissance Mobile Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, October 31, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review the Battle House Hotel & Spa. I appreciate your great comments about your stay and the hotel. I am glad you had the opportunity to utilize the outdoor pool, attend the comedy show in Joe Cain Cafe, and enjoy breakfast in the hotel's Trellis Room Restaurant. I wish you could have stayed longer at the hotel. We also offer a roof top driving range, tennis courts, a ping pong table, and a wonderful and relaxing spa. I hope you enjoyed your trip down south and look forward to you visiting again! Next time, when you can visit longer!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (193)
Massillon
Reviewed October 22, 2013

We stayed at the Battle House Renaissance at the suggestion of a friend, with whom we were touching base on this part of our trip. Our room was wonderful, with both a tub and a shower, plus upscale products in the bathroom. The fitness facilities were stellar; I was able to swim laps in the pool the first and third days of our stay. Even though it was a bit cool for outdoor swimming, the heated pool made it very pleasant. The second day I was able to use the recumbent bicycle, as good quality as the places where I've had physical therapy. The refrigerator in the room made it possibl for me to have my favorite breakfast or yogurt, dried fruit, and nuts, and for my husband to keep his beer cold. I was reluctant to leave!

Room Tip: The upper level rooms have a wonderful view of Mobile.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MassillonJill
Scott M, Manager at The Battle House Renaissance Mobile Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, October 25, 2013
Thank you for your kind words in regards to your recent trip to the Battle House Hotel & Spa. I am glad you had the opportunity to use the outdoor pool and the fitness center. I will make sure to share your comments with the rest of the team. We look forward to having you visit the hotel in the future.
Birmingham, Alabama
Reviewed October 18, 2013

I arrived at the hotel and was immediately greeted by the Bell Boy and escorted to the check in counter. Check in was quick and easy with information included on the amenities of the hotel. The Hotel has been completely renovated as it is over 150 years old. My room 6119 was very comfortable and quiet and I slept like a baby. The most enjoyable part of any over night stay is a great breakfast and theirs did not let me down. From the friendly staff to the made to order pancakes it was a big hit for me. I chose the breakfast buffet but was allowed to order fresh pancakes, how cool is that, all for about 22$.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
The Battle House Hotel & Spa team were happy to read your comments from your recent stay at the hotel. We appreciate your review and excited to hear that your arrival, check-in, and breakfast the next morning provided you with excellent service. I hope that all of these encounters made for a memorable trip. We look forward to you visiting again in the future! Thank you for taking the time to send us your review.
Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed October 14, 2013

Nice to see the old hotel fully restored. Beautiful accommodations and amenities. Parking was pricey for Mobile, so add 20 to each nights stay. Well worth it if you plan on spending some time at the hotel. TV system need an upgrade,Took for ever to find the game.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for making your way back to the city of Mobile and staying at the Battle House Hotel & Spa. I appreciate your business. I am happy to hear you enjoyed the hotel. I do apologize for the issues you had in finding the game. In the future, please feel free to contact one of the front desk ambassadors who may be able to assist you in finding the game channel. We will be happy to assist you. I hope you will visit the hotel again in the future. Thank you for your review!
Reviewed October 13, 2013

Just finished hosting a week long meeting of my national association at the Battle House Hotel. The facilities, food, staff, everything was first class. I have been to many hotels in many major cities in my 17 years with the association, and none have compared to the BH. Most of the attendees at this meeting had never been to Alabama. They certainly left with a positive impression of our State, thanks in large part to the hospitality at the BH.

• Stayed October 2013
Scott M, Manager at The Battle House Renaissance Mobile Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, October 17, 2013
Thank you for staying at the Battle House Hotel & Spa. The hotel was proud and excited to be able to host your conference. I am so happy to hear that you and your attendees had a wonderful time at the conference, at the hotel, and within the city of Mobile. We look forward to hosting more conferences and events with your organization in the future!

I appreciate your kind words and will be sure to share with the rest of the hotel team!
Pensacola, Florida
Reviewed October 6, 2013

We stayed one night for Bayfest. We booked same day and had no issues. The staff is wonderful. Everyone we encountered (valet, front desk, room service, spa gift shop, the bar) was polite and ready to help.
Our stay overall was average and definitely not worth the price. Our room was about 88 degrees when we walked in and was very damp and humid. I grew up in FL, a little humidity is going to be expected inside when it's 85% humidity outside. However, we never could get the ac to cool the room off and dry it out. Everything stayed damp and we never could get it to keep a temperature. The sheets had a musty smell to them. We had a "welcome" note left for a previous guest that was dated 5 days prior so I'm assuming no one had been in the room since then and that's why it was so hot and muggy in there. We didn't notice the smell of the sheets until we were getting in bed at 1am and by then we were too tired to call housekeeping. The floor also felt dirty.
We ordered room service breakfast. It arrived right on time and was delivered by one of the friendliest women I have ever met. The food, however, was equivalent to an IHOP meal. For $17 a plate plus tax and tip I was expecting way more. The eggs had a strange, almost slimy texture. The toast was ice cold. The hashbrowns were undercooked.
We looked around the hotel before we left and discovered the pool and the spa. We wandered around the spa gift shop and got some girly things. Then we went down to the Joe Cain Cafe and enjoyed a quick drink before leaving. All were good experiences.
Overall the exterior of the hotel, the amenities, and the atmosphere were excellent and made you feel like your money was well spent. The room and food? Not so much. I could get the same thing at Holiday Inn, for half the price.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Scott M, Manager at The Battle House Renaissance Mobile Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, October 13, 2013
I apologize for the condition of the room, the room temperature, and the A/C not working properly. These items should have all been properly maintained and prepared for your arrival at the hotel. I will make sure to follow up on these items immediately. Based on your feedback, the IRD order was not up to standards as well. I'm sorry that the hotel did not meet your approval. We pride ourself in offering the best product with the best service and obviously did not provide either during your stay. I want to assure you that this is not a normal occurrence at the hotel and hope that you will visit again in the future. If there is anything I may do for you in the future, please do not hesitate to contact me directly. My email is scott.maison@renaissancemobile.com.

On a more positive note, I appreciate your comments about the staff and hotel overall. I will make sure to share those comments with the rest of the team.
San Diego, California
Reviewed September 28, 2013

I visit Mobile regularly for business and have stayed at the Battle House 5 or 6 times in the past couple of years. I've never had anything short of an excellent stay. Every room is uniquely shaped but beautiful and very well maintained. The beds are incredibly comfy, I love the giant bathtubs and robes, great pizza and booze at Joe Cain's, and amazing food at the 4-diamond Trellis Room. Service and staff throughout the property are fantastic, and the history of the hotel is fascinating. The huge, modern fitness center and beautiful swimming pool are across a covered pedestrian bridge and are part of the spa.

Serda's, on the next block, has great espresso, sandwiches, and I love their broccoli salad. There seem to be some new, hip restaurants and boutiques opening up around downtown Mobile. Up until a couple years ago, I never ventured away from the I-65/Airport Rd area of chain restaurants. Downtown Mobile has much more character and they seem to be renovating/restoring old buildings to make it even better.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Scott M, Manager at The Battle House Renaissance Mobile Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, October 6, 2013
Thank you for being such a loyal customer to the Battle House Hotel & Spa. The entire hotel team appreciates your business and kind words about the hotel and the City of Mobile. You are correct. A lot of effort, energy, and dedication is being poured into some of the older buildings in the city and we are all very excited about the growth and progress in the downtown area. I hope you will have another opportunity to stay with us again real soon.