“One of my favorite hotels anywhere”

The Battle House Renaissance Mobile Hotel & Spa
Ranked #4 of 64 Hotels in Mobile
“One of my favorite hotels anywhere”
Reviewed July 10, 2013 via mobile

I'm Marriott platinum and travel a lot. I looovvveeeddd this hotel.

This was a very classic hotel that felt like you were in another era.

Rooms nice/beds comfy

Internet worked great.

Consierge attendant was great. Snacks pretty good.

Ate at hotel bar and crab cake salad was delicious, only gripe it was a bit small (although I was probably just too hungry to only order a salad).

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank SarahDavids
Scott M, Manager at The Battle House Renaissance Mobile Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Thank you for sending in your feedback about your recent stay at the Battle House Hotel & Spa. I appreciate your comments. I would also like to thank you for your loyalty to the Marriott Brand and for being a Platinum member.

I'm happy to hear that we are one of your favorites. We look forward to seeing you again!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (192)
Gulfport, Mississippi
Reviewed July 9, 2013

This hotel is beautiful and very well kept. If you like high-end hotels, I would highly recommend this one. My family and I stayed for the 4th of July weekend. This is not the best location to spend the 4th. Everything was closed (local businesses), so the local area was like a ghost town. This is not a reflection on the hotel itself. They tried to accommodate by offering activities. The room-awesome. I have very high standards and I was very satisfied. The hotel staff-outstanding. Everyone was very friendly and accomodating. Swimming pool and hot tub available on the roof. With a poolside bar ;) Valet parking service is available for a fee. I found this to be very helpful because I wasn't familiar with the area and there appeared to be mostly metered parking. This hotel is a great option for business travelers also. It is also pet friendly. I will definetly stay again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for spending your 4th of July weekend with the hotel. I am glad your family had a pleasant stay in Mobile.

I have shared your comments with the rest of the team.

We look forward to you visiting the hotel again in the future.
Birmingham, Alabama
Reviewed July 7, 2013

We spent the July 4th holidays at the Marriott Battle House Hotel.......

all I can say is absolute perfection.......from the room to the bath to the lounge and including every employee we encountered.....Historic charm.....great rates.....wonderful atmosphere

We will certainly stay here again....

A+++++++++++

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for spending your Fourth of July Holiday at the Battle House Hotel & Spa. I appreciate your business!

I hope you have the chance to visit the hotel in the future. We look forward to seeing you again.

Thank you so much for your great comments.
Germany
Reviewed July 6, 2013

The hotel is amazing. The lobby is beautiful and it has great amenities. The gym, spa, pool is large and very well equipped. The location is downtown near everything. We actually extended our stay by one night. We would defiantly consider coming back to this hotel.

Room Tip: The hotel is very large so ask if they have a room near what is important to you (spa, lounge, etc).
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for visiting the Battle House Hotel & Spa in Mobile. I was excited to see your wonderful comments from your recent stay. I will make sure I share your comments with the entire team!

I hope you have the opportunity to visit the hotel in the future.
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
Reviewed July 4, 2013

Everyone was exceedingly friendly and helpful, and made me feel very welcome. Comfortable, well-equipped room, with nice touches like wide range of TV channels, free WiFi, coffee machine, etc. (I was in the old section, not the new tower).
The hotel felt a little humid, but Mobile in late June is like that: with the A/C running, it was quite comfortable.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for staying at the Battle House Hotel & Spa. I appreciate your business and for taking the time to send in your feedback. I am happy to hear you enjoyed the hotel and your stay in Mobile. Yes. It does get pretty humid down south. I apologize if your room and hotel felt a little humid.

I hope you have the opportunity to visit the city and the hotel in the future.

Thank you for your business!
Brookhaven
Reviewed June 22, 2013

This was my first time to stay at The Battle House but I admit I had misgivings. My wife had stayed earlier in the week for another reason and was unhappy about a mix up with the rooms she had booked. At the time, she felt nothing was done to show their regret in the situation and considered cancelling our room. But, with a convention in town, there wasn't many other choices so we took a chance. I am so glad we did!

First off, they remembered her from the last trip and was very accommodating. They allowed us to switch a room preference. Then, as an apology for her previous experience, delivered to our room a bottle of chardonnay and a cheese platter along with a handwritten note. Immediately my wife was both impressed and pleased.

We at lunch at Joe Cain's, and it was pleasant. We ate at the bar and then tender was very pleasant. We walked around downtown Mobile (has potential but really needs a commitment to make it an entertainment area) and later enjoyed the cheese and wine on the terrace. That evening, we took cocktails in the Royal Street Tavern (both of these, by the way, are adjacent to the Battle House) and it was a very relaxed, pleasant time.

Personally, if you are staying a weekend in Mobile, I recommend giving the Battle House a try.

Room Tip: The view is better from the modern building than the historic building, but the historic part is clo...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Scott M, Manager at The Battle House Renaissance Mobile Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, June 23, 2013
Thank you for staying at the Battle House Hotel & Spa. I am so glad that you and your wife gave the hotel and its staff another try. Again, I apologize for the reservation mix up during your wife's previous stay. We try our best to accomodate all room requests whenever possible and it is not very often that we can not meet our guests needs and requests. I was excited to hear that your stay was most enjoyable this time around. I appreciate your kind words about the hotel and its staff. I will make sure to share your comments with the entire Battle House Hotel Team!

Thank you!
New Canaan, CT USA
Reviewed June 19, 2013

The Battle House opened in 1908 and has recently been restored and expanded with a modern wing. The original architecture and restoration are gorgeous.  It does have a beautiful ballroom and meeting rooms.  However, most of the rooms and meeting facilities are in the new modern tower.  While the original facility is the epitome of late 19th century architecture, the tower is late twentieth century architecture.  One walks seamlessly between the centuries.  The public spaces in the original are intimate while those in the tower are open and spacious.  Both are beautiful and welcoming.

Rooms are spacious and well appointed with all of the amenities.  Lodgenet big-screen flat-panel TVs featured smartphone control and both HDMI and VGA in for your personal equipment.  We used the HDMI to watch the Apple WWDC.  Setup was as simple as plugging in my iPad.  I had my own HDMI cable but the chief engineer assured me that the hotel could supply cables on request.  The coffee maker is the single-cup simple-to-use one with the great coffee, liquid creamer and plenty of white, pink, yellow, and blue sweeteners.  It goes without saying that the bedding and bath linens were luxurious.

Simply knowing that this is a Marriott-Rennaisance property tells the frequent traveler much of what he needs to know about the service and services. The staff is well trained and competent.  Knowing that it is in Mobile tells you more.  The service is friendly and personal.  One only had to stop and look around to be approached by a member of the staff and offered assistance.  They then simply took ownership of the issue, whether or not it was in their department. Nothing is too much to ask for.  I am sure there is a limit but I did not find it.

The Battle House offers a choice of dining from the Trellis Dining Room, The Tavern (with piano and entertainment), to Joe Cain's Cafe.  My favorite was the bar menu in the Tavern but all offered interesting menus well prepared and served.  The menus featured local dishes and seafood.  While all of the Gulf Coast offers great food, Mobile may be the best between Tampa and New Orleans.

We were there for the 17th three day meeting of 275 people.   Meeting planners, this management is for you.  Food for our receptions, breaks, breakfast and lunches was a cut above most banquet food in menu, quality, presentation and service.  We paraded the management before the conference to standing applause.  The evaluations also gave them high marks.  No such meeting ever goes without a glitch or two.  However, Battle House management had few and addressed them promptly with style and grace.

The hotel offers prompt valet parking but there is ample public parking in adjacent blocks.  Mobile is a gracious southern city; think Charleston and Savannah.  Taxi service is personal and friendly but on-call only; arrange yours with the doorman in advance.

This is a beautiful well managed five star property.  While it is the premier hotel in the city, world travelers will find the rates moderate and the value high.

Room Tip: I stayed in the original and saw the Governor's suite. I would ask for rooms in the original th...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank whmurray
Thank you for such a positive review of the Battle House Hotel & Spa. I appreciate your feedback and your comments. I hope you have the opportunity to visit the hotel in the future.