“True Southern Hospitality”

The Battle House Renaissance Mobile Hotel & Spa
Ranked #7 of 64 Hotels in Mobile
Reviewed July 4, 2013

Everyone was exceedingly friendly and helpful, and made me feel very welcome. Comfortable, well-equipped room, with nice touches like wide range of TV channels, free WiFi, coffee machine, etc. (I was in the old section, not the new tower).
The hotel felt a little humid, but Mobile in late June is like that: with the A/C running, it was quite comfortable.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Scott M, Manager at The Battle House Renaissance Mobile Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded July 15, 2013

Thank you for staying at the Battle House Hotel & Spa. I appreciate your business and for taking the time to send in your feedback. I am happy to hear you enjoyed the hotel and your stay in Mobile. Yes. It does get pretty humid down south. I apologize if your room and hotel felt a little humid.

I hope you have the opportunity to visit the city and the hotel in the future.

Thank you for your business!

There are newer reviews for The Battle House Renaissance Mobile Hotel & Spa

Reviewed June 22, 2013

This was my first time to stay at The Battle House but I admit I had misgivings. My wife had stayed earlier in the week for another reason and was unhappy about a mix up with the rooms she had booked. At the time, she felt nothing was done to show their regret in the situation and considered cancelling our room. But, with a convention in town, there wasn't many other choices so we took a chance. I am so glad we did!

First off, they remembered her from the last trip and was very accommodating. They allowed us to switch a room preference. Then, as an apology for her previous experience, delivered to our room a bottle of chardonnay and a cheese platter along with a handwritten note. Immediately my wife was both impressed and pleased.

We at lunch at Joe Cain's, and it was pleasant. We ate at the bar and then tender was very pleasant. We walked around downtown Mobile (has potential but really needs a commitment to make it an entertainment area) and later enjoyed the cheese and wine on the terrace. That evening, we took cocktails in the Royal Street Tavern (both of these, by the way, are adjacent to the Battle House) and it was a very relaxed, pleasant time.

Personally, if you are staying a weekend in Mobile, I recommend giving the Battle House a try.

Room Tip: The view is better from the modern building than the historic building, but the historic part is clo...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Scott M, Manager at The Battle House Renaissance Mobile Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded June 23, 2013

Thank you for staying at the Battle House Hotel & Spa. I am so glad that you and your wife gave the hotel and its staff another try. Again, I apologize for the reservation mix up during your wife's previous stay. We try our best to accomodate all room requests whenever possible and it is not very often that we can not meet our guests needs and requests. I was excited to hear that your stay was most enjoyable this time around. I appreciate your kind words about the hotel and its staff. I will make sure to share your comments with the entire Battle House Hotel Team!

Thank you!

Reviewed June 19, 2013

The Battle House opened in 1908 and has recently been restored and expanded with a modern wing. The original architecture and restoration are gorgeous.  It does have a beautiful ballroom and meeting rooms.  However, most of the rooms and meeting facilities are in the new modern tower.  While the original facility is the epitome of late 19th century architecture, the tower is late twentieth century architecture.  One walks seamlessly between the centuries.  The public spaces in the original are intimate while those in the tower are open and spacious.  Both are beautiful and welcoming.

Rooms are spacious and well appointed with all of the amenities.  Lodgenet big-screen flat-panel TVs featured smartphone control and both HDMI and VGA in for your personal equipment.  We used the HDMI to watch the Apple WWDC.  Setup was as simple as plugging in my iPad.  I had my own HDMI cable but the chief engineer assured me that the hotel could supply cables on request.  The coffee maker is the single-cup simple-to-use one with the great coffee, liquid creamer and plenty of white, pink, yellow, and blue sweeteners.  It goes without saying that the bedding and bath linens were luxurious.

Simply knowing that this is a Marriott-Rennaisance property tells the frequent traveler much of what he needs to know about the service and services. The staff is well trained and competent.  Knowing that it is in Mobile tells you more.  The service is friendly and personal.  One only had to stop and look around to be approached by a member of the staff and offered assistance.  They then simply took ownership of the issue, whether or not it was in their department. Nothing is too much to ask for.  I am sure there is a limit but I did not find it.

The Battle House offers a choice of dining from the Trellis Dining Room, The Tavern (with piano and entertainment), to Joe Cain's Cafe.  My favorite was the bar menu in the Tavern but all offered interesting menus well prepared and served.  The menus featured local dishes and seafood.  While all of the Gulf Coast offers great food, Mobile may be the best between Tampa and New Orleans.

We were there for the 17th three day meeting of 275 people.   Meeting planners, this management is for you.  Food for our receptions, breaks, breakfast and lunches was a cut above most banquet food in menu, quality, presentation and service.  We paraded the management before the conference to standing applause.  The evaluations also gave them high marks.  No such meeting ever goes without a glitch or two.  However, Battle House management had few and addressed them promptly with style and grace.

The hotel offers prompt valet parking but there is ample public parking in adjacent blocks.  Mobile is a gracious southern city; think Charleston and Savannah.  Taxi service is personal and friendly but on-call only; arrange yours with the doorman in advance.

This is a beautiful well managed five star property.  While it is the premier hotel in the city, world travelers will find the rates moderate and the value high.

Room Tip: I stayed in the original and saw the Governor's suite. I would ask for rooms in the original th...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank whmurray

Thank you for such a positive review of the Battle House Hotel & Spa. I appreciate your feedback and your comments. I hope you have the opportunity to visit the hotel in the future.

Reviewed June 17, 2013 via mobile

Great Historic building. Room appeared nice but upon entry, smelled musty, felt wet. AC was off. Eyes went straight to mold spot on walls by the beds. Dirty air vents and red stain on the carpet. Hallway smelled like wet dog. Nice and comfortable beds and large room but for $150 it was a let down.

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank TXcwby76

Thank you for staying at the Battle House Hotel & Spa. I appreciate you taking the time to post your feedback from your recent stay. I do apologize for the condition of the room. I have forwarded your comments onto the Director of Services for their review and follow up. I assure you this is not normal for the hotel. We pride oursleves in both cleanliness and room condition and feel poorly about the condition you found your room upon arrival.

Please accept my apologies.

Reviewed June 13, 2013

Spent a weekend here recently, attending a wedding, and found the hotel to be elegant, well maintained, and with great service. We stayed in one of the corner rooms in the historic building, and loved the bed and furniture and bathroom. Great workout facilities (Nicholas Cage was working out each morning while filming a movie nearby). All in all, a great hotel in the grandest of traditions.

Room Tip: Corner rooms are small suites ...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Scott M, Manager at The Battle House Renaissance Mobile Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded June 16, 2013

Thank you for visiting the Battle House Hotel & Spa. I appreciate your business and your comments. I am happy to hear you enjoyed your stay and the hotel as a whole. I will make sure to share your comments with the rest of the hotel team.

Please come back and see us again. We would love to have you back at the hotel!

Reviewed May 16, 2013

I had a business mater in Mobile that required frequent trips for over two years. The Battlehouse is simply a first rate hotel. The rooms, especially the corner rooms in the new tower are huge with great bathrooms. The only knock would be that the bigger rooms could use a little more furniture. The restaurant has a great breakfast with attentive service and fresh offerings everyday. The spa/gym is the jewel of this hotel. Lots of machines, great space to workout and recharge. I almost felt like I was on vacation when working out as opposed to a hamster in a windowless box as is the case in most hotels.

Room Tip: If you are a Marriott frequent traveler, ask for a corner room upgrade.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank oskiwow
Scott M, Manager at The Battle House Renaissance Mobile Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded May 18, 2013

Thank you for staying at the Battle House Hotel & Spa and thank you for being such a loyal customer. I am happy to hear you enjoyed the Fitness Center facilities.

We look forward to your return visit!

I'm glad we are your favorite in Mobile. Thank you for your support!

Reviewed May 14, 2013

Had a great weekend stay. My wife was on business and I tagged along. The hotel was good with one exception. I am a Platinum member which allows access to the concierge floor. The front desk said the lounge would be closed for the weekend so we pent $40 for breakfast only to find upon returning to our room that the lounge was indeed open for breakfast on Saturday. Poor communication that cost me cash! We had dinner at the Trellis Room Saturday evening and it was excellent.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank banzal
Scott M, Manager at The Battle House Renaissance Mobile Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded May 16, 2013

Thank you for being a Platinum member. I apologize that you were misinformed about the Club Lounge. We do offer this amenity to our members and guests on the weekend from 6am--10am both Saturday and Sunday mornings. We offer cereal, danishes, muffins, yogurt, coffee, juices, and tea. I will remind the staff that we are open on the weekends. I was happy to hear you enjoyed your dinner in the Trellis Room. I appreciate your business and your feedback. It will help us improve in the future.