“beautiful hotel in downtown Mobile”

The Battle House Renaissance Mobile Hotel & Spa
Ranked #7 of 64 Hotels in Mobile
Reviewed April 13, 2013

We just returned from a 6 night stay at the Battle House... We have stayed there several times for business or conference's in the hotel... The hotel is a beautiful hotel in downtown Mobile. The pool area in the roof is very nice with snack bar/bar... It was a nice get away from work. Male bar tender over the past weekend was not very friendly and kind of a jerk. He would walk over and would give comp drinks to a few couples sitting together and hang out with them, however he would walk past other people in their chairs and not ask them if they wanted anything. ( I was sitting next to those people and could hear everything while relaxing in my chair....If you wanted something you had to go to him. Ok no problem, but when I get there and ask from a drink don't be jerk because I do not know your beer on tap because it is specialized to your area. Spa was beautiful, but the employees were rude.. seriously I was in the gift shop area for 10 mins looking at things and not one person spoke (not even to say hello) they just kept talking to each other...I wanted to purchase something or ask about services I wanted to schedule.. but after being ignored for so long I walked out. The hotel doors are very loud, but we are aware of it each time we go.. so bring some ear plugs if that bothers you.. Valet parking is 17 dollars a day and the valet attendance's were the nicest of all the employees at the hotel.. Overall a nice hotel, with nice sized rooms and bathrooms... I have stayed in the historic section and the tower and both are about the same.. we will be back. We have conferences in the hotel every so often. FYI there is a coffee shop just down the street Serdas which has great coffee and salmon bagels. :) There are also some cute shops Inside up near the park and quaint cafe... If you have a car, I recommend going to Fairhope... I loved that area... 20-30 min ride but so worth it...Nice shops and restaurants. While my fiance was in meetings I was in heaven shopping all day :)

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Scott M, Manager at The Battle House Renaissance Mobile Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded April 14, 2013

Thank you for staying at the Battle House Hotel & Spa. I want to apologize to you and your fiance for the poor service you experienced on the pool deck and also in the spa. This level of service is not acceptable to me or the hotel. I am very sorry you had to experience this during your stay. I appreciate your feedback and brining it to my attention. I will be following up with the departments involved and correcting this type of behavior immediately. I assure you this level of service is not part of the hotel's day-to-day operations. We will correct this moving forward.

I hope that the above mentioned incidents won't deter you from visiting the hotel in the future.

If there is anything I may do for you, please do not hesitate to contact the hotel and ask for me.
Scott Maison, Rooms Division Manager.

Warm Regards!

There are newer reviews for The Battle House Renaissance Mobile Hotel & Spa

Reviewed April 11, 2013

After a dysfunctional 90 minute delayed Delta flight from ATL, an Avis rep who can't tell the difference between Odometer and "miles before empty," it was a pleasure to walk into the Battle House and be treated like a REAL customer. The staff at check-in were incredible, the facility was in superb shape, the staff all exceeded the Marriott Mantra of "exceptional customer service." Room was spacious and comfy, internet fast, food was very good in the restaurant downstairs. I did a speaking program in the TreeHouse room for a nursing group. They had it set up perfectly and about 5 different staff continued to stop by to be sure "all is well." They were ahead of time on the coffee breaks and lunch, which helped keep us all on schedule. Can't wait to return on a vacation type trip !

Room Tip: I was on the waterway side and thought I'd hear a lot of boats coming thru during the night, sim...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Scott M, Manager at The Battle House Renaissance Mobile Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded April 13, 2013

Thank you for staying at the Battle House Hotel & Spa. I appreciate your business and thank you for your compliments about your stay at the hotel. I hope you will have an opportunity to visit us again in the future for some rest and relaxation. We look forward to your return visit.

Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

In all, this a very beautiful hotel with a lot of history inside. Beware of the Valet parking!!! We accepted the offer of valet because its cheaper and it's in a secured garage...After coming home realized there was some small damage to the bumper of our SUV. Other than that...the staff is very friendly and helpful. Another beware...if you leave your cell phone charger and call "lost and found",they will not return your call, so don't forget your belongings.
If your into the bar scene, they're all within a few blocks of the hotel and the hotel also offers a nice bar scene with live piano music on some nights. For good food, it is also very close and convenient and of course if you into the beach scene it's about 40 miles to gulf shores.

• Stayed: March 2013
Scott M, Manager at The Battle House Renaissance Mobile Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded April 10, 2013

I appreciate your comments about the hotel and about and your stay. I apologize for any damage that may have been caused while parked in the garage and for your missing phone charger. I have asked both the Valet Manager and Director of Loss Prevention to follow up with you on both items. If I can be of any assistance, please feel free to contact the hotel directly and ask for me.

Reviewed April 5, 2013

We came during Easter. Lovely hotel. Lobby was amazing beautiful rotunda. Check in was a breeze. Room was clean, and usually appointed. Bathroom was clean n nice. We had sitting area n bedroom. LOVE LOVE THE POOL. The kids thorough enjoyed the outdoor rooftop pool. View from pool better than our room. All staff were friendly, front desk, valet, pool attendant, pool bartender, restaurant staff lunch. Housekeeping did a good job with everything. We stayed for 1 night only. We did have dinner t the concierge's suggestion at weitchzels (sp?) oyster bar. (Check yelp review). Had breakfast at A Cup of Tea which was very good too (check yelp review). Overall, beautiful historic hotel and a very good stay. Perfect stay.

1  Thank sparklegirl_19
Scott M, Manager at The Battle House Renaissance Mobile Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded April 6, 2013

Thank you for staying with us at the Battle House Hotel & Spa. I am happy to hear you enjoyed your stay at the hotel and that service and cleanliness were top notch. I appreciate your comments. I will make sure to share with the rest of the hotel team.

If you have the opportunity to visit Mobile in the future, I hope you will stay with us again!

We look forward to having you as our guests.

Reviewed March 26, 2013

Stayed one night at The Battle House with my wife and teenage daughter. Room was huge, but furnishings very ordinary and ho-hum. In fact, the room was so big, it almost felt as if there should be more furniture in it. I expected Marriott to really step up the luxury in a Renaissance product AND in an historic property. Lobby looks "much" better in photographs, feels a little old and dark in person. I get where they are going with the whole theme, but something just doesn't click. Check-in was smooth and everyone was very polite and helpful. Guest rooms and bath very clean. Just not a very luxurious experience.

Room Tip: We stayed in the historic part of the hotel where I believe the rooms are larger.
1  Thank JWLMontgomery_AL
Scott M, Manager at The Battle House Renaissance Mobile Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded March 29, 2013

Thank you for your comments and feedback from your recent trip to the Battle House Hotel & Spa. I appreciate your feedback. I apolgize that the hotel did not live up to your expectations. I hope, however, that you enjoyed your stay overall and will have the opportunity to return in the future.

Reviewed March 24, 2013

Great location. Check in was smooth. I just can't believe they serve quality champagne in styrofoam cups!! Manager wouldn't even come to fix the problem! Such a shame because everything else was great!!

• Stayed: March 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments from your recent stay at the Battle House Hotel & Spa. I apologize for the cups that were used to serve the champagne you requested out on the hotel's pool deck. Since you were at the pool area, I apologize for not being able to serve your champagne in the traditional champagne glass. Since styrofoam was not the best option, we are currenlty looking into purchasing plastic champagne flutes in case we have other guests that request champagne or other drinks on the hotel's pool deck in the future.

Again, I apologize for the outcome. I appreciate your comments as they will help us to improve in the future with similar requests.

Warm Regards.

Reviewed March 23, 2013

We were passing through town, arriving late afternoon and leaving early a.m. so our exposure to the entire experience was limited. The valets were helpful and cheerful making a good first impression. The lobby was masterfully decorated yet maintained a welcoming air. The room was, with the exception of gum stuck on the carpet and something else stuck on a curtain, clean. The view was of a parking lot but for such a short stay, okay. The disappointment came in the unclean bathroom (which, however, was delightfully appointed). The shower stall had a small amount of mold on the walls but a large amount in the corners. This was reported to the parent company via a survey that was sent after my stay but, unfortunately, no one ever bothered to contact me regarding the issue....not a favorable reaction to poor customer feedback.
Overall, the Battle House is a nice hotel and is located in the heart of the downtown historic district making proximity to bars, restaurants a plus.

3  Thank dmarun
Scott M, Manager at The Battle House Renaissance Mobile Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded March 24, 2013

I appreciate the opportunity to respond to your review of the Battle House Hotel & Spa. In looking at your past reservation, I noticed that you stayed with the hotel back in February. I apologize for not following up on your feedback sooner. I will take responsibility for the delay in response. I either did not see your original survey or I may have written down your email address incorrectly. I normally try to resond to all surveys, letters, or reviews in a timely manner. Thank you for bringing this review to my attention. The Director of Housekeeping and myself have inspected the shower and room overall. Any items that were mentioned have been corrected. The shower needed to be re-caulked and any stains found on the carpet or curtains have been removed. I apologize that these items caused you any discomfort during your stay.

I hope you will have the opportunity to visit the city of Mobile in the future.