“awesome lobby, dependable service.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Battle House Renaissance Mobile Hotel & Spa

The Battle House Renaissance Mobile Hotel & Spa
Ranked #3 of 64 Hotels in Mobile
Demopolis, Alabama
“awesome lobby, dependable service.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

arrived for friday one night stay, valet staff was very helpful with family unloading (2 kids, 1 infant). arrived at room with pack and play already in place. spacious room in the original part of the old hotel. prior stay was in new part of hotel which was fine, but like this layout with our kids a little better. checked out the roof top pool and fitness room, looked like a nice place to relax or work out. two rooftop tennis courts and couple of swing spaces for gold. overall nice stay.

Room Tip: front part of hotel. old battlehouse rooms have interesting, roomier layout.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Scott M, Manager at The Battle House Renaissance Mobile Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, March 15, 2013
I appreciate your feedback and comments from your recent stay at the Battle House Hotel & Spa.
I hope you will have the opportunity to return to the hotel and have the time to enjoy the property to its fullest. I will share your wonderful comments with the rest of the hotel team!

Thank you!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (184)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2013

We checked in on Friday the 8th and stayed only one night. We had business in town and knew it would be a short trip, but decided to stay somewhere nice. I did not have time to explore every single amenity that the hotel offers.
I can say that the room was quite nice aside from having absolutely no view. Also, the curtains would not close completely. I ended up hanging a bath towel on the curtain rod to make the room dark enough to sleep in the morning. This was a little disappointing, but did not ruin the stay. The king bed in our room was very clean and extremely comfortable. They really have out done themselves with the bathroom. This is by far the largest hotel bathroom, I have ever seen and includes a separate tub and stand up shower. Very Nice.
We did some spend some time in one of the hotel bars, the Tavern. This ended up being one of the highlights of our trip. The bartender, Matt, is the type of service professional one would expect at a hotel of this quality. He engages the entire bar, remembers names and drinks and overall enhances the experience. There is also a live piano player there in this bar. He takes requests and is very talented.
The hotel is in a good location and there are restaurants, entertainment spots and stores within a very short walking distance.
Overall, I would recommend the Battle House if you are staying in Mobile.

Room Tip: The valet parking was reasonably priced. However, if you want to save a few dollars, there is parkin...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Aaronmac1
Scott M, Manager at The Battle House Renaissance Mobile Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, March 14, 2013
Thank you for your great comments. I wish that your stay could have been longer. I apologize for the curtain. I will follow up on that issue immediately. I will also pass on your great comments to Matt and the Beverage & Food Team. They will be excited to hear your comments.

I appreciate your business and look forward to your return visit.

Thank you for staying at the Battle House Hotel & Spa!
Diamondhead, Mississippi
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2013

My wife and I stayed at this hotel for a conference on a Friday night. The hotel inside and out is beautiful, but the uniqueness of the restored interior is the most appealing part of the hotel. This building was originally built in 1852 and burned down about 50 years later. The current building was built in 1908 and is located at the site where Andrew Jackson had his military headquarters in the War of 1812. The hotel and area is full of history.

Upon arriving at the hotel valet parking is offered at the front entrance for $17 per night, not a bad charge considering the adjacent garage is around $12 or so and you will have to bring your luggage around. There is free parking on the street after 6pm if you can find a spot. When you enter the hotel you a greeted by an elaborate baroque style dome with French plaster paintings covering the walls and ceiling, all original and restored. Look for the "whispering wall" on the second floor for a fun time.

Check in was a breeze as we had reservations and are also Marriott points members. We stayed on the 5th floor facing the downtown area. Our room was at eye level with the permanent 12ft tall Moonpie from the adjacent building for the Moonpie drop famous in Mobile for New Years Eve. Our room was very spacious with a large king, large windows, a sitting area, flat screen tv, refrigerator, large closet with hangers, and well appointed bathroom with marble and granite. There was a large tub as well as a glass shower.

The amenities at the Battle House are top notch and deserving of the "Resort and Spa" status. The old part of the hotel has a rooftop deck with many comfortable chairs for lounging and taking in the sights of downtown and the bay area. You can order food to this location filled with live greenery and 270 degree views. It looks especially nice at night with all of the lights of the city. There is also another rooftop area available to users of the spa at the adjacent RSA tower. If you cross a walkway on the 3rd floor over the road you can access this area. The spa area includes a large heated outdoor pool, jacuzzi, tennis courts, golf driving nets, bar area, gym, and inside spa services. The views are again excellent especially of the river and bay from there. We indulged in a couples massage which included the use of the spa quiet rooms, large jacuzzi tub, snacks, and free drinks. I personally used the spa for about 3 hours and had the entire men's side to myself and drinks apperared for me everytime I turned my back...wonderful attention to detail. The service was top notch from all employees running the spa.

Walk around the hotel if you get the chance to check out the grand old ballrooms and other historic traits of the building. There are two restuarants in the hotel, the Joe Cain restaurant is a more casual bar atmosphere with great pizza and The Trellis room is the upscale restaurant that serves great well or dessert if thats what you're in the mood for. There are also many great restaurants within walking distance of the hotel that serve every variety of food. And if you're looking for great seafood and a view, the restaurants on the Mobile Bay causeway only minutes away are superb.

We did not partake in any breakfast at the hotel so I cannot comment on that, but there are many places within walking distance that provide great meals. The valet parking was a nice choice for us as we went to and from the hotel often. Check out was equally as enjoyable and took no time at all.

Enjoy Mobile!

Room Tip: Rooms in the front part of the hotel are original restored rooms dating back 150 years and face West...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank hiker1987
Scott M, Manager at The Battle House Renaissance Mobile Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, March 9, 2013
Thank you for such a wonderful review of our property. I appreciate your kind words and comments. I was very happy to hear how much you enjoyed your stay at the Battle House Hotel & Spa. I hope that you will be a guest with us again in the future on your next visit to Mobile.

I will make sure that I share your review with the rest of the hotel team! Thank you!
Lancaster, Pennsylvania, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2013

We thought this would be a quality hotel but our experience was pretty bad. Our TV didn't work. It took a day to get it replaced with one that did. Twice I went to the hotel store to make purchases, and it wasn't open. This was during the day, not late at night. They had to reprogram our room lock and give us new cards because the room cards stopped working. There was little sound-proofing. We could hear the person in the room next to us coughing. Could hear doors slamming all the time. This was part of a 3-week trip. All other hotels we stayed in provided a breakfast as part of the room rate but this one didn't. In fact, no complimentary beverages were supplied, not even bottled water. Would not stay here again. You couldn't pay us to stay here. We were to be here 3 nights. Check out a day earlier than we had reserved. Couldn't wait to leave.

Room Tip: Interesting that we were asked to rate breakfast. They don't provide one as part of the stay. We...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank CAG460
Scott M, Manager at The Battle House Renaissance Mobile Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, March 6, 2013
I appreciate you taking the time to send in your feedback about your recent stay at the Battle House Hotel & Spa. I apologize for the issues you experienced with your room TV and your room keys. Unfortunately, room keys and locks sometimes need to be re-programmed, and I do apologize that this happened to you during your stay. I would like to also apologize for the issue with your room TV. As soon as you reported the TV issue, the hotel's engineering team should have been able to repair or switch out the TV for you in a more timely manner. I apologize that the response time did not meet your expectations.

Thank you for bringing these items to my attention. I will definately follow up and determine how we may prevent such poor experiences in the future.
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2013

Amazing hotel. I stayed in the old side of the hotel that was renovated. Amazing bathroom, which has both shower and a big bathtub. The room was very clean. I stayed for 2 nights. Even the service can to make my bed for the 2nd time in the afternoon. The lobby of the hotel is grand and beautiful. There is a spa but I didn't get to use it. It offers all the services you need in a spa! I will definitely use it next time if I get to visit Mobile again.

The all-you-can eat breakfast buffet had great dishes. The coffee was awesome! Services from everyone in the hotel were all excellent!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Christine C
Thank you for your great feedback about your recent stay at the Battle House Hotel & Spa. I appreciate your postive comments and will share with the entire team.

I hope you have the opportunity to visit the city of Mobile in the future and make the Battle House Hotel & Spa your second home.

Thank you!
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2013 via mobile

The hotel and room were very nice - the turndown service was excellent!! The business center was a mess and I had to make the equipment work - good thing I work in IT. They received a package for me after I checked out and contacted me to ship it on - only problem was only one of the two books was in the box when it got to me :( The valet parking staff didn't know the downtown area and said "I only come down here when I have to work."

• Stayed November 2012
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to send in your feedback about your recent stay at the Battle House Hotel & Spa. I am glad you enjoyed your room. I do, however, apologize for the lack of knowledge displayed by one of our valet staff. I have forwarded your comments onto the Valet Manager so that they may share some city information with the valet team and remind them to make sure they always seek out information when asked. The shipping error is difficult for me to determine what may have happened. I have the shipping and recieving team looking into some more details, but at this point, I am unable to determine if the error was on the hotel's end or the shipping company that was used. Again, I apologize, but will continue to investigate.
Ball Ground, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2013

I had a wonderful stay at the Battle House. As a Marriott Elite Member, I was upgraded to a wonderful corner room in the historic section of the hotel. The view from my 6th floor windows was a nice change from looking at rooftops. The room was spacious with the bathroom being nearly as large as some hotel rooms I have had.
Best of all was the staff. From the moment I pulled up and handed my car over to the valet, to the moment I checked out, there is not a single thing I could complain about.
I ordered room service several times since I was working in the room a great deal of the time. The food always arrived in a reasonable amount of time and was fresh, appealing, and delicious. The service staff was more than accommodating.
I will recommend this hotel to anyone who asks me about where to stay in Mobile.

Room Tip: Always ask to stay in the historic section of the building. Much more charm there.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Scott M, Manager at The Battle House Renaissance Mobile Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, February 24, 2013
Thank you for the great positive feedback. I was excited to read such a great review of the hotel and its staff. I hope that you will have the opportunity to visit the Battle House Hotel & Spa again in the future. We value your business and thank you for being a loyal Renaissance customer.