“Ask for Jasmine to be your waiter and then enjoy the food”

Wintzell's Oyster House
Ranked #3 of 673 Restaurants in Mobile
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Austin, Texas
“Ask for Jasmine to be your waiter and then enjoy the food”
Reviewed August 4, 2014

There are very few times that you enter a restaurant and are greeted and guided through a menu and the meal by an outstanding waiter or waitress, but Jasmine was the star of the day. Her suggestions were followed and we were happy campers from that point on. I started the meal off with a beautiful Bloody Mary that is out of a photo shoot in beauty. Then we had the seafood gumbo which was equally fantastic. This was followed by Jasmines advice to get the Oyster Sampler which gives you the idea of what each of their best selling baked oysters are on the menu. After going to a lot of seafood restaurants during the past ten days, this one really had to be the best and I have to say again,, Ask for Jasmine!!! .. This is a great chain of restaurants that still have a great personal touch in their foods. Give it a try and you won't be disappointed..

• Visited July 2014

Cleveland, Ohio
“Best waitress ever”
Reviewed August 1, 2014

I hadn't been to Wintzell's since I was a little girl - this place has been around forever. On an overnight trip to Mobile we decided to go, and if anything, it's gotten better with age. Our server was fun and friendly and sassy and wonderful! Maybe the best waitress I've ever had. We were a larger party of seven, but she didn't blink an eye about it, we were served quickly, efficiently, and everything we ate was delicious. She had recommended a stuffed flounder dish which my BIL had, and declared it amazing. The shrimp and grits for another member of our party was also sighed over. My son had the raw oysters which were fresh and icy cold and perfect, and the fried oysters which he loved because the breading was light so he could "still taste the oyster, not the breading", he said. I had the seafood gumbo - delicious, just as I remember it. The whole meal was just wonderful. Couldn't have been better. The really fun part about this restaurant is the decor - all over the walls are signs and statements - we all had fun reading them out loud and laughing and commenting over them. Our favorite was "Any man over 80 who comes in with his father eats oysters for free" (lol). Don't miss this restaurant in Mobile if you are ever there - it's an institution and still going strong.

• Visited July 2014
Knoxville, Tennessee
“Best Oysters on Earth!”
Reviewed July 29, 2014

We visit Mobile every February for a family reunion. We eat at Wintzell's at least 2 times each year. The atmosphere is awesome and the oysters are even better. The sautéed crab claws are a must as well. I cannot remember ever getting a meal here that I did not enjoy in 40+ years of visits. It is a highlight of our trip every year. I can't wait until February to go back!

• Visited February 2014
New Orleans, Louisiana
“Do not miss in Mobile!”
Reviewed July 26, 2014

This place had awesome oysters. They are the freshest you will find! I also loved the crab soup, it was creamy and delicious. Also, this place is a must when in Mobile. It's been there forever and it's kind of a tourist destination. I would recommend sitting at the oyster bar. Can't wait to go back!

• Visited August 2013
Baltimore, Maryland
“Grilled Oysters...Perfect”
Reviewed July 23, 2014

Very good grilled oysters....priced right and the service was excellent. The grilled oysters were very big and prepared very well.

• Visited June 2014