“A Shame that it is closed”

Historic Magee Farm
Ranked #41 of 73 things to do in Mobile
More attraction details
Owner description: Confederate General Richard Taylor surrendered here.
Albertville, Alabama
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“A Shame that it is closed”
Reviewed July 9, 2012

Historic Magee Farm/Last Appomattox was one of the BEST Civil War/Southern/Alabama History museums we had ever visited. However it has been sold and the artifacts were auctioned and sold. I spoke to an Antique dealer in Mobile and he was unsure of what happened to all the things that were at the Magee Farm. We were there in February 2011

Visited August 2011
4 Thank Archer324

Mobile
68 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 75 helpful votes
“Loved it”
Reviewed November 21, 2011

Actually went in 2009 and I heard it had closed. This is a wonderful place to see, experience and learn about our Southern heritage and history - especially the Civil War. A real treat for young and old.

Visited December 2010
2 Thank uphill69
Mobile alabama
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Civil war times at its best”
Reviewed July 20, 2011

I took my grandson and my son, we are all civil war buffs, I also enjoyed this farm when the Tubbervills owned it, my mother and I picked blue berries for years and never knew the house was like it is. It is a great history lesson and everyone is very professional. I have also had an opportunity to visit Vicksburg and this house compares with that one. Great place to take kids to learn the real history of the civil war.

Visited November 2010
1 Thank catlady1943
Anchorage, Alaska
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Not historically accurate”
Reviewed March 1, 2010

We visited the farm this weekend when we first heard about it closing. The house has been altered in ways that are not accurate to the time. The plaster walls have either been torn down and replaced or covered completely with sheetrock which isn't a period appropriate material. Many of the quilts on the beds are not period appropriate to the 19th century. I did see on quilt on the side, a foundation-pieced log cabin quilt which looks like it could be period appropriate. The others were made from fabrics and patterns that were clearly twentieth century in material and design. The porch roof had plywood instead of bead board and something about the flooring downstairs seemed off. I believe it has been replaced. The "Confederacy" focus is a little over-bearing for anyone who isn't into that stuff. Some people might find it offensive. There were some very interesting primary source materials and some authentic period furniture. However, scattered here and there were knick-knacks that were not appropriate for the nineteenth century. The entire place needed a good cleaning, the tour itself needed to be re-worked and someone needs to consult with an actual historian who can help develop a musuem that is more than a Hollywood version of the Old South.

1 Thank Chautauqua
Mobile
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Magee Farms is the best”
Reviewed September 23, 2006

I volunteer at Magee Farms in Kushla,AL. We have something other Civil War homes don't have, we have all of the original furniture, the house has never been rebuilt, and we have the original receipts on the furniture. Every other Civil war home has been rebuilt or refurnished.
This house is where General Canby and General Taylor surrendered. An actual battle took place here.
You will love this house! When you walk in, you can just feel like you're in the 1800's. It's like going into a time machine. When you walk out you expect to be driven away in a horse and buggy instead of a car. All of the tour guides wear period correct clothing, so it seems like they actually live there.
This is something you will definitely want to see while you're here.

7 Thank DixieGirl15

Been to Historic Magee Farm? Share your experiences!