“Far exceeded expectations”

Cuisines: Italian
Citronelle AL
“Far exceeded expectations”
Reviewed March 20, 2013

A chain restaurant in a strip mall is not somewhere we normally would have gone, but WOW!

A friend had tried it before and raved about it, so we met her there for an early dinner. Service was excellent - one of our party arrived before the rest of us and had been eating the bean dip appetizer (white beans & olive oil, I think) and when the rest of us showed up, server brought fresh bread & dip unasked. That level of attention stayed through the evening. The bread was just OK, not something I wanted more of, but I think my expectations are higher for bread at an Italian restaurant. The appetizer itself was very good and I found myself wishing for something else to dip in it.

Mirko is known for its pasta, and indeed, one of our party tried the ravioli (made in house) - apple, sage & sausage with Sorrentina sauce - it was evidently good enough that she didn't offer to share. Another of us had the salmon pesto - she was very pleased with the way the salmon was cooked and the portion was ample enough to share (and then some). Finally the third person had the eggplant parmigiana from the appetizer menu. No pasta but again, an ample portion of eggplant in a freshly made tomato sauce.

Quality seemed to go down when it came to dessert, it almost seems like an afterthought. I don't usually have dessert in restaurants but ordered the tiramisu to try. Not the best I've ever had but by no means the worst. Another of our party tried the crepes stuffed with banana. Again, not bad but unexceptional.

The bill was a pleasant surprise - prices are much less than you would expect to pay for such great food and service.

I noticed lunch specials on the menu, we'll definitely be back.

• Visited March 2013

Mobile al
“A Welcome Surprise”
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Service was prompt and attentive. I chose a whole wheat pasta and one of the several sauces - a red with eggplant, a salad and a glass of house Chianti. The pasta was cooked perfectly. Not over done and not hard and undercooked. The sauce was tasty and filled with eggplant. The salad had a nice presentation of greens and feta and raisins and a light and not overpowering dressing. A good variety on the menu and a good selection of wines. Will go back!

• Visited March 2013
“My new favorite place to eat”
Reviewed March 6, 2013 via mobile

Fresh, home made pasta. Simply delicious and a terrific place to eat. Now the best place for pasta in Mobile.