“A pleasant surprise”

Halal Cuisine of India
Ranked #290 of 680 Restaurants in Mobile
Cuisines: Indian
Reviewed February 18, 2012

First of all I give these people credit for bringing Indian cuisine to Mobile and hanging in there. The staff is friendlly.  I had the buffet and everything was well prepared, but I found the seasoning to be blander than what I am used to in  an Indian restaurants. In fact this has been the case with a number of ethnic restaurants that I have frequented in the Mobile area. Perhaps this suits the tastes of the majority of the clientele. But in any case it resulted in downgrading my review from 4 to 3 stars.

There are newer reviews for Halal Cuisine of India

Reviewed February 10, 2012

1st visit to this restaurant since it changed names and maybe owners also. We went for the lunch time buffet which had a nice variety of items to choose from. Most of the items/selection seem to be the same as they were before the name change.

One thing we did notice was that now the Naan Bread is out on the buffet. Previously it was always delivered fresh, in a basket to your table and if you did eat it all they would ask if you wanted more. The bread on the buffet was soggy and not enjoyable.

Even with the soggy bread we enjoyed the lunch buffet.

Reviewed September 9, 2011

This was my first time here. It was suggested by the friends with whom we dined. The service was friendly and attentive - downright Southern sweet! The food? I have had good Indian food, I have had GREAT Indian food and I have had ordinary Indian food. This meal was truly forgettable.I had lamb vindaloo. it could have been lamb, beef or rat, the meat was not distinctive as to what its origin was. The vindaloo was tasty but not as spicy as I expected. Th eportion was ample. My wife had a Nepalese lamb dish that she described as -" bad enough that I was sorry I didn't just order chicken tikka masala". We shared a vegetable Korma - Nepalese - which was totally forgettable. The restaurant was fairly dark and dingy - not particularly appetizing. I don't need to return.

Reviewed March 6, 2011

I think this place is hopeless. If you want authentic Indian food, go to Atlanta. This place is dirty and should be shut down.

Reviewed September 18, 2010

Good authentic Indian food. Atmosphere a little plain, but the food is excellent. Great to go with a group of people so you can share. I have been going here for years and I have never been let down on having a good meal.