“Maybe just because I'm vegetarian?”
Review of Jerusalem Cafe

Jerusalem Cafe
Ranked #25 of 704 Restaurants in Mobile
Cuisines: Middle Eastern
Good for: Families with children, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed January 14, 2014 via mobile

The falafel was great.. Otherwise, well below par. There was some kind of vegetable lasagna which was not edible at all. The rice they serve as a side is alright.. All in all, just average.
Total: 2.75/5

Reviewed January 8, 2014 via mobile

After reading the previous reviews we knew this was our lunch spot for our one day in Mobile Alabama. We were not disappointed. Food was excellent. Dessert is a must along with Turkish Coffee. Great service. Would be one of our favorite spots if we lived in Mobile.

Reviewed January 7, 2014

We eat here all the time because the food is fantastic, the service is friendly, and the owner/chef makes you feel like a VIP. I was all about the mousaka until I had the chicken pastry plate, and that's all I ever ordered for a couple of years - it's that good. Then the owner told me to try the Tawook Mashwi, and it is seriously one of the best dishes I've ever eaten. The cornish hen is so moist and tender it falls off the bone (you do have to watch all the little bones!) and the flavor is incredible. For lunch, I love the dill chicken sandwich wrap, and the hummus and grape leaves are great. Don't forget to bring your bottle of wine for dinner!

Reviewed December 29, 2013

We went to the Jerusalem Cafe because of the reviews here at TripAdvisor, but I have to admit that when we pulled up to it, it looked very disappointing from the outside. It was so dark, we thought it might be closed. The place wasn't a whole lot better looking on the inside, but we decided to go for it.

We ordered the Krass Stuffed Pastry as an appetizer and the Jerusalem Feast as our dinner. I had planned on ordering the Tawook Mashwi as my entree, but when our waitress said the Jerusalem Feast was a lot of food, we decided to share it.

Now they could use a little help with presentation: when we were served the appetizer and the pita and hummus, they had on the side of each plate ONE kalamata olive and ONE sugar-cube-sized square of feta cheese. Not even two for a couple to share? You've got to flip for that one piece of feta? And the stuffed grape leaves were the smallest I'd ever seen.

BUT everything was delicious and when the meats came, we were bowled over at the amount they gave us: full skewers of chicken, beef, lamb PLUS a whole slew of gyros meat all on a bed of delicious rice that reminded me somewhat of Indian peas pilau.

The thing is, not realizing how much food was still to come--and because we were very hungry--we ate all our pita and hummus before the meats came. I like to eat my meat with hummus and pita so we ordered another half order--and that's probably what put us over the edge, fullness-wise. Next time we eat there, we'll save that hummus and pita till the meat comes (or just ask them to bring it out with the meat).

I really hate to say this because I like getting a good deal, but I really think they should charge a little more for that feast: to feed two people to the point of fullness (and beyond) for only $19...well, I just don't want them to go out of business by giving away too much food. They could charge $5 more easily--and maybe throw in a 2nd kalamata olive and cube of feta cheese. :-)

One more bit of advice for the restaurant: the ladies room could really use a good cleaning. It's a little off-putting to finish off a good meal by visiting the restroom and finding it not very clean. It makes one wonder what the kitchen is like.

Reviewed December 26, 2013 via mobile

Stopped in for lunch. Quick service and great food at a decent price. My husband doesn't t usually like Mediterranean food but he loved his gyro and hummus. Will be back soon.

Been to Jerusalem Cafe? Share your experiences!