“Beautiful setting”
Review of Kitchen On George

Kitchen On George
Reserve with OpenTable
Kitchen On George is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3 of 704 Restaurants in Mobile
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Description: Welcome to Kitchen on George A new restaurant in the heart of Mobile's Historic District. If you enjoy fresh, contemporary American food in a casual atmosphere, Kitchen on George is for you. Our menu features dishes that can be enjoyed tapas style in small plates or bowls, or as traditional entrees. Here, you'll notice fresh, bright and delicious flavors of the region since locally-sourced ingredients, when available, are a priority. We have a great selection of wines and cocktails, too! Enjoy dinner indoors or on our patio. Kitchen on George is located on the corner of George and Savannah Streets in the historic Oakleigh Garden District.
Reviewed March 18, 2013

We have lived here a year and had yet to try KoG. The interior is beautifully done, upscale and clearly a major investment, which is probably due to the fact that a major corporation is the backer. One detail that is a little off is the lack of space for diners waiting. We arrived on time for our reservation and still had to wait. There are only two small benches right at the host podium. When things are backed up, this is not sufficient.

The hostess for the evening was friendly enough, but seemed to be somewhat confused. Also, the restaurant may want to consider establishing a better dress code for front of house duty.

We started with cocktails at the bar, which took longer to obtain than necessary due to the disappearance of the sole bartender for a period of time. When she returned, she did prepare quite competent drinks.

The menu offerings were limited in choice but there is something here for everyone as long as one appreciates modern cuisine and does not come in expecting the typical Mobilian southern fried anything.

It was odd that we had to share a single dinner menu, as we were given one dinner menu and one brunch menu (at 9 pm on Saturday night). The waiter did not explain the menu offerings nor happen to mention that there were specials. We only found that out when the table next to us were waited on. Chalk that up to staff in training. There will be lapses. The price point makes up for that to some extent.

A starter of bread with dipping oil was provided. Their oil mixture is outstanding. Very fresh and herbal in taste and aroma. Made me wish I could eat more than a morsel of bread.

Goat cheese and arugula salad was delightful as a starter. My entree was the flank steak. As others have said, it is very good but has some flaws that prevent it from getting all five points. The sauce has a tendency to overpower the steak.

My partner was very pleased with the scallops, and was over the moon with the creme brulee for dessert.

The wine order was kind of strange in that a separate server appeared and performed the opening and tasting, then the first pour. But he took the bottle away to where I don't know. The waiter noticed it was missing and had to ask the (wine steward?) to bring it back, which he did and then apologized for taking it away. Again, chalk it up to staff in training.

Considering that this is a training restaurant, I'd say they do quite well. We will definitely go back.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

Quiet location, nice background music. Superb tasting food, good service. Lovely room, lots of space, good lighting. Just passing through Mobile and found it through Tripadvisor and its as good as it says.
Art & Sue Pearse

Reviewed February 13, 2013

On the eve of my wife's birthday, we were invited to go out to dinner with my boss and his wife. My boss said, "Ok, I'm taking Paula Dean to dinner tonight!" Meaning, that my wife is a great southern cook in her own right and the food critic was being taken to dinner. So, drove through old town in Mobile, experiencing the beautiful old homes and trees. We entered the Kitchen on George and ordered from the menu. The place was a delightful old house, turned restaurant and was complimentary to the surroundings of the area.
We ordered crab cakes, goat cheese salad, tuna, flank steak, salmon, chocolate cake, creme broule (however you spell it)....... I took one bite, turned my head to talk. Turned back and it was empty......my little birthday girl practically licked the dish......gee!
WOW! It was a delightful experience and delicious! All in all, it was a great surprise and my wife had a great birthday dinner. You will definately want to go time and time again.
I do wish they had an area where you could actually watch the culinary artists at work!

A

Reviewed January 25, 2013

Went on the recommendation of our B&B Proriietor. The idea of small plates appealed as we have been eating very well on a driving vacation. The wok broccoli and shrimp and grits were delicious. The flank steak a little less successful, but quite good.
Our waitress seemed to be thrown a little off stride by the peculiar trio of diners at the next table. We encountered some delays and thought a nearby table should have been reset promptly after it was vacated rather than being cleared, left bare of linens for a half hour, then reset.

Reviewed January 6, 2013

I have been to this place 5 or 6 times and this place as the food and service of a 5 star for the price of applebee's.
this is a wonderful addition to the Oakley area.The menu is broken into small plates and large plates. i recommend going with a groups of 4 of 6 people and trying a little of everything. Yes it is a bit strange to share food as adults, but you will find yourself telling people at your table you have to try this...

Great place for a date!!