“fort conde inn outstanding”
Review of Fort Conde Inn

Fort Conde Inn
Ranked #1 of 5 Mobile B&B and Inns
Winton, California
“fort conde inn outstanding”
Reviewed November 1, 2012

Recently completed a 3 day stay at FCI, and could not have been happier. Everyone from Alan the manager to the executive chef to the housekeeping staff went out of their way to satisfy all our needs. Rooms are all recently restored and have every conceivable amenity, the breakfasts are to die for, and there is a real feeling of being welcomed and your business appreciated. The location is close to the fort, several museums, Dauphin St., and all it has to offer and when the Mobile Maritime Museum is completed, that will be within walking distance. Absolutely satisfied with our stay. Great Job, FCI!!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank chuck6969

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed October 25, 2012

Had a great experience at the Fort Conde Inn. The room was brand new, very clean, and well appointed. The staff was very accommodating to our schedule and helpful in directing us around Mobile. The hotel was within walking distance of downtown, but was nestled away from any of the busy streets.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Slidell, Louisiana
Reviewed October 17, 2012

To me, the hallmark of a fantastic vacation is feeling like you're living a different life while you're on it. I can't remember the last time that happened to me prior to this visit, but I had that kind of vacation at Fort Conde Inn. When you're raising four kids, even when you take them on vacation, the trip often feels like being at home but under a different roof. When it's your anniversary and your wonderful family is taking them in for a couple nights, it's time to experience something new.

I never got a chance to meet Alan, but he was so kind in checking on us before we arrived, helping us locate the inn and seeing to our needs after we arrived. The staff was beyond fantastic and so personable. The short walks to downtown Mobile were so pleasant, and there were wonderful restaurants nearby to be found. We had a package deal at the Inn that enabled us to see some sights, and we had such a wonderful time checking out museums and really seeing the city for the first time.

The best for me was getting to relax on the porch at night and lounging on the comfortable beds. Usually, I have trouble sleeping in a different location but not here. And as another reviewer mentioned, no allergens to bother you, and I am very sensitive to many types of airborne particles. The room was gorgeous and the daily breakfast was superb. Part of me wanted to just wear the provided robe all day. I hadn't felt so relaxed and at ease in years.

This was a rare trip for us, but I am hoping to convince my husband to take me here again in the near future. As he had as great a time as I did, I don't think I'll have to try too hard.

Room Tip: Check their website and see what room you'd be interested in. Also check for package deals.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Naimi M
Fortcondeinn, General Manager at Fort Conde Inn, responded to this review, October 21, 2012
Thank you again for such kind words. We really enjoyed having you stay with us. It is guests like you that make our jobs a pleasure and we really do love reading these wonderful reviews. Thank you again.
South Carolina
Reviewed October 15, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for a night enroute to Texas to visit family. The inn is located in a small, private village kinda under the interstates. It was a tremendous find. There was an internet special and we got upgraded to a room with a whirlpool tub once we got there. The owner is in the process of restoring other properties in the "village". It is within walking distance of Fort Conde and eating places downtown. Although this is an old house, it has been glutted and there is no "old house smell" that is a hindrance if you have allergies. Ours had a queen bed and hardwood floors. There were robes and toiletries provided, thermostat heating and air in our room, and a garden area for the house. Alan, the manager, was above and beyond in his hostessing. He called to check on our time of arrival and then guided us in to be sure we found it and met us outside. The owner was there at one point and pleasant and personable. A tasty breakfast was made to order by a very pleasant, accommodating chef. There were parlors for sitting and a wonderful marble tiled front porch. Would stay here again. It's quiet and restful while being near sightseeing. Free parking is available but in a side lot and on the street. Even though we were in a downtown area, it felt very safe. Only thing I found lacking was a white noise machine but used the radio on a "non-station" and that worked to cut out the little noise from the traffic.

Room Tip: Check the internet for specials. Great value for the money especially with the breakfast.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank SCTraveller42
Wow! What a review. Thank you again for staying with us. When you restore such an old building and put as much love and care into it as our owner and developer has, it really begins to show. We are glad that your allergies were not affected by your stay. We try to go above and beyond in making sure our guest have a clean and comfortable environment. Our slogan is "designed for southern hospitality" and we try our best to meet it with each and every guest. Thank you again for staying at Fort Conde Inn.
New Orleans, Louisiana
Reviewed September 14, 2012

Staff tries very hard to make you happy. Upgraded our room when a better room became available. Amazingly quiet area of downtown Mobile. Easy to locate. Easy parking. Walkable to many attractions although the late night restaurants/bars/coffee shops are probably pushing the walkable distance. The room itself was great. Exactly what B&B lovers are looking for. The real reason we'll go back is the chef. Super food and a great guy. Make sure you plan your day around the fact that you will want to eat a fantastic huge breakfast. Veggie omelet was the highlight for me even though I'm a big breakfast meat guy. Had a problem getting our key to work when we came back late at night, but figured it out.

Room Tip: Stay in the main house, but if its mid-week, you can probably book in the less expensive carriage ho...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank nolalollygagger
Kapolei, Hawaii
Reviewed August 10, 2012

I am an admitted hotel-snob. I spend a lot of time researching where I am going to stay before setting plans. I couldn't find a hotel near South Alabama that looked appealing so I opted to look farther away. I stumbled upon the Fort Conde Inn. I was impressed by the photo gallery and later impressed by the accommodating service offered to me by the manager, Alan.
When I finally arrived to the Inn it took my breath away. The history, the decor, the fine details...all stunning. My room was quaint but luxurious. The bed was more comfortable than my own. The L'Occitaine toiletries added a a sort of aroma therapy that sent me over the top.
The Southern hospitality of the staff of the Inn were the crown jewels. Alan and Matt and the Inn owner, Larry Posner, made me instantly feel like a welcomed part of the family.
The chef, Jeremy, gives a royal breakfast service. Every breakfast was spectacular. From the pastries to the biscuits to the locally hand made jams and jellies. Jeremy even came in a little early in order to serve me to accommodate my business time schedule. I enjoyed his breakfast conversations.
My only complaint about my stay at the Fort Conde Inn is that it was longer. I will go out of my way to visit again.
Thank you.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank AirSick808
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 5, 2012

We stayed at the Fort Conde Inn for two nights, opting for one of the carriage houses. Thoroughly enjoyed the whole experience - the Inn itself has been restored beautifully and we really liked the city of Mobile. Best part of the stay was Alan, the Manager, who could simply not have been any more helpful - organising our trips and visits and even making bookings for us. Jeremy the Chef was also a real pleasure to meet and served us up some delicious breakfasts.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family