“Unexpected Gem!”

Ranked #1 of 5 Mobile B&B and Inns
South Carolina
“Unexpected Gem!”
Reviewed October 15, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for a night enroute to Texas to visit family. The inn is located in a small, private village kinda under the interstates. It was a tremendous find. There was an internet special and we got upgraded to a room with a whirlpool tub once we got there. The owner is in the process of restoring other properties in the "village". It is within walking distance of Fort Conde and eating places downtown. Although this is an old house, it has been glutted and there is no "old house smell" that is a hindrance if you have allergies. Ours had a queen bed and hardwood floors. There were robes and toiletries provided, thermostat heating and air in our room, and a garden area for the house. Alan, the manager, was above and beyond in his hostessing. He called to check on our time of arrival and then guided us in to be sure we found it and met us outside. The owner was there at one point and pleasant and personable. A tasty breakfast was made to order by a very pleasant, accommodating chef. There were parlors for sitting and a wonderful marble tiled front porch. Would stay here again. It's quiet and restful while being near sightseeing. Free parking is available but in a side lot and on the street. Even though we were in a downtown area, it felt very safe. Only thing I found lacking was a white noise machine but used the radio on a "non-station" and that worked to cut out the little noise from the traffic.

Room Tip: Check the internet for specials. Great value for the money especially with the breakfast.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank SCTraveller42
Fortcondeinn, General Manager at Fort Conde Inn, responded to this review, October 21, 2012
Wow! What a review. Thank you again for staying with us. When you restore such an old building and put as much love and care into it as our owner and developer has, it really begins to show. We are glad that your allergies were not affected by your stay. We try to go above and beyond in making sure our guest have a clean and comfortable environment. Our slogan is "designed for southern hospitality" and we try our best to meet it with each and every guest. Thank you again for staying at Fort Conde Inn.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
New Orleans, Louisiana
Reviewed September 14, 2012

Staff tries very hard to make you happy. Upgraded our room when a better room became available. Amazingly quiet area of downtown Mobile. Easy to locate. Easy parking. Walkable to many attractions although the late night restaurants/bars/coffee shops are probably pushing the walkable distance. The room itself was great. Exactly what B&B lovers are looking for. The real reason we'll go back is the chef. Super food and a great guy. Make sure you plan your day around the fact that you will want to eat a fantastic huge breakfast. Veggie omelet was the highlight for me even though I'm a big breakfast meat guy. Had a problem getting our key to work when we came back late at night, but figured it out.

Room Tip: Stay in the main house, but if its mid-week, you can probably book in the less expensive carriage ho...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank nolalollygagger
Kapolei, Hawaii
Reviewed August 10, 2012

I am an admitted hotel-snob. I spend a lot of time researching where I am going to stay before setting plans. I couldn't find a hotel near South Alabama that looked appealing so I opted to look farther away. I stumbled upon the Fort Conde Inn. I was impressed by the photo gallery and later impressed by the accommodating service offered to me by the manager, Alan.
When I finally arrived to the Inn it took my breath away. The history, the decor, the fine details...all stunning. My room was quaint but luxurious. The bed was more comfortable than my own. The L'Occitaine toiletries added a a sort of aroma therapy that sent me over the top.
The Southern hospitality of the staff of the Inn were the crown jewels. Alan and Matt and the Inn owner, Larry Posner, made me instantly feel like a welcomed part of the family.
The chef, Jeremy, gives a royal breakfast service. Every breakfast was spectacular. From the pastries to the biscuits to the locally hand made jams and jellies. Jeremy even came in a little early in order to serve me to accommodate my business time schedule. I enjoyed his breakfast conversations.
My only complaint about my stay at the Fort Conde Inn is that it was longer. I will go out of my way to visit again.
Thank you.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank AirSick808
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 5, 2012

We stayed at the Fort Conde Inn for two nights, opting for one of the carriage houses. Thoroughly enjoyed the whole experience - the Inn itself has been restored beautifully and we really liked the city of Mobile. Best part of the stay was Alan, the Manager, who could simply not have been any more helpful - organising our trips and visits and even making bookings for us. Jeremy the Chef was also a real pleasure to meet and served us up some delicious breakfasts.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Beagle66
Gadsden
Reviewed July 20, 2012

So glad I decided to take a chance on Fort Conde Inn. Absolutely enjoyed my stay thoroughly. Immaculate, beautifully decorated room. The staff was awesome - enjoyed getting to know them. The breakfasts were incredible - only problem was that I could not eat it all.

Spent several evenings on the balcony catching up on work, drinking coffee from my in-room Keurig machine. I especially enjoyed how close (and yet how removed) Fort Conde was from downtown Mobile. It was a five minute walk each day to the conference center and to restaurants (my favorite was the Royal Scam).

I was amazed by the Inn's renovation and attention to detail. The house itself is truly a work of art and beautiful tribute to the original time in which it was built.

I will definitely stay again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank mjshields
Weatherford, Texas
Reviewed July 17, 2012

My husband and I planned a few days in Mobile after attending a graduation at Ft Rucker. I found Fort Conde Inn online. It was wonderful and I totally recommend it to everyone!. Allan, the GM does a very good job of making sure everything is perfect! Then there is Jeremy Weaver the chef... you will not be disappointed. He makes everything from scratch and everyday breakfast is devine along with great conversation. I travel a alot and I have stayed in just about every kind of hotel, mote and BNB. Ya'll go, its the best!

Room Tip: We stayed in The Meredith. The beds are very high end as are all of the furnishings. Be sure to ask...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank 568JOJO
Springfield, Massachusetts
Reviewed July 9, 2012

Our family gathered at the Fort Conde Inn for a reunion. It was a great weekend. The Inn itself is absolutely magnificent! The owner, Larry, beautifully restored the southern mansion with no detail overlooked. It has a calming and relaxing atmosphere as soon as you hit the front veranda. We all had beautifully apppointed rooms with luxurious beds and baths. The breakfasts were amazing and Jeremy, the chef, was very accomodating. We had delicious choices such as omlets, quiches, blueberry pancakes, and fresh baked breads (banana, blueberry.) The Inn's manager was amazingly helpful and knowledgeable about the local area and history. He had wonderful suggestions for activities (a pontoon boat ride, farmers market) and dining options. It's close proximity to downtown Mobile made it easy for people to come and go as they pleased and chose different activities depending upon their preferences. We all look forward to going back and enjoying more of the Inn's southern hospitality as well as all that Mobile has to offer!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family