“Strange room layout!”
Review of Motel 6 Mobile, AL

Motel 6 Mobile, AL
Ranked #46 of 65 Hotels in Mobile
Reviewed July 17, 2012

I know I paid for a smoking room, as my wife smokes. But, when my wife even complained about the smoke smell in our room, I knew it was bad. The strangest thing was the layout of the room. The television was in the middle of the wall directly facing the end of the overhang shelf holding the antique microwave. The bed was set to the right of the tv so if you were on the right side of the bed you had to lean to the left to look around the overhang for a decent view of the tv. The outside looks great and the staff I dealt with were nice enough. The door keys had to be used 3 or 4 times to unlock anything. When you are holding an armful of bags, this is frustrating. I did not see any evidence of bugs or rodents and the sheets and towels were clean. However, I will never stay at this hotel again. I am considering never staying at any Choice Hotel if this is what they consider acceptable conditions.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Chad T

Reviewed April 10, 2012

My girlfriend and I needed a spot to rest driving from Georgia to gulf shores and decided to stop for the night after being exhausted. We were greeted to a friendly staff, and a clean room. The exterior of the hotel could use some work but regardless it was a great night for a great price. We would stay again next spring break.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
econo186, Manager at Motel 6 Mobile, AL, responded to this reviewResponded May 7, 2012

to receive your kind words of praise.

Given the very nature of the hotel business, the hours are long and demanding.
Day or night, good service depends upon people willing to give their very
best at all times. That's why it's truly rewarding when a guest recognizes our
staff’s efforts, and takes the time to say thank you.

Thanks Again

Dee Patel

Reviewed August 6, 2011

My family and I are from Texas and we went on a road trip where we needed to stay a night in a hotel in Alabama. We decided to stop at Econo Lodge because it looked like a welcoming place. But when we stepped into the hotel, we immediately felt the "welcoming" atmosphere disappear. The parking lot was sketchy, the door and lock was flimsy, and the room was dirty and stinky. We decided that this could be powered through, as we were exhausted, until we realized the air conditioning unit had minimal output. We checked it and realized there were piles of rat droppings all inside the vent. We also noticed regular hair one of the beds, which was somewhat expected, so we weren't all that surprised. But you can imaging our surprise when we were inspecting it further and noticed pubic hairs. Instantly, we jumped up out of the bed and were disgusted, when my sister went to my parents' bed and ripped the sheets off and exclaimed, "Look who you're sleeping with tonight!!" We then noticed the bed bugs crawling throughout the bedding. Instantly, my mom told us we were leaving and begun to pack the bags. My dad came in, huffing and puffing, with the last of the luggage, and my mom was yelling "we're leaving" over and over. We went down to the front desk to give the keys back, and left. The hotel clerk, although, was kind and helpful throughout the whole thing, and gave us a full refund on the room, which was a little jewel inside a large catastrophe. Needless to say, we will not be returning here.

Room Tip: Check your room BEFORE paying!!
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
9  Thank kara69
Reviewed June 28, 2011

This was a family trip for my husband and our 3 children. We just needed a place to break up our trip and were literally just looking to rest our heads for 8 hours. I had booked the hotel on line and entered 5 people for the room at which point the on line reservation program had me choose a room with 2 queen beds and a rollaway for the 5th person. When we arrived and I opened the door to the lobby, the entire place wreaked of smoke and appeared very unkempt. I proceeded to check in thinking I would check out the room and stay if it was minimally acceptable. The desk clerk took a long time to give me our room keys. When I opened the door to the room, there was some one in it!! Went back to the desk, after a long time again given another room. I asked about the rollaway and the clerk did not know what a rollaway was. He called some one on the phone and asked then went in to the laundry room and brought out a blanket and told me that was the rollaway. When I said that's not a rollaway, please look again, he went back, rolled up the blanket and brought it back out! I felt like I was in a Saturday Night Live skit! Needless to say I cancelled the reservation and left.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
6  Thank autoxfam
Reviewed March 9, 2011

Upon asking about a room the front desk clerk, who was very nice, told me that if I wanted a non smoking room and would be paying cash I would have to leave a 75 dollar deposit. Since I was paying with cash and didn't really want to pay the deposit I asked about a smoking room thinking it couldn't be that bad. WRONG!! The carpet in the room was black, the room was so unclean I was afraid to even touch the grimy comforter on
The bed The tv looked liked it was purchased in the 70's and the microwave looked like it had been thrown around scraping half the paint off of it and then not cleaned afterwards. The concrete wall behind the beds was painted a dark brown but a mirror had been added to give some type of appeal. Honestly it was like being in a dirty dungeon It didn't take us long to decide we wouldn't stay in that room so we went back and talked to the front clerk. She let us see a nonsmoking room which was sooo much better but still had somewhat of a smoke smell. It was cleaner by a mile than the first room but the overall impression had already been set plus I had to pay the 75 dollar deposit. By the way, they way they handle the deposit is to put in an envelope with your name on it for the next clerk They actually didn't see a need for a receipt but did give me one after I asked in case someone lost my envelope

• Stayed: January 2011
Reviewed August 26, 2010

was ment to stay 3 nights but left after one. room stank. bathroom was horrible- sticky floor, smelt. brown marks on stinky towels, lots of what looked like pubes in the shower and the toilette- worst thing was they looked like the ones i found in the bed!

Noisy. dodgy door. plug sockets literally hanging off the walls. blood staines on bed. truely awefull hotel.... oh and room was on the ground floor overlooking the pool area. shame my window didnt lock so anyone could have easily climbed in.

I know it's a cheap hotel, i stay in similar places and know what to expect. but this was grim. the staff were nice though, lots of parking, decent internet (which is great when despiratly looking for an alternative hotel) and some places to eat near by.

oh and if you pushed my door just right you could open it without a key. and the lock you put on from the inside had been ripped off

the batroom door also had a big dent in it from what looked like someone trying to kick it open

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled solo
3  Thank NinaH4
Reviewed May 30, 2010

This hotel was dirty, worn and kind of scary. Staff were unpleasant. Not worth the money--stay somewhere other than Tillman's Corner.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled solo