“Decent Value”

TownePlace Suites Mobile
Ranked #30 of 64 Hotels in Mobile
Reviewed January 27, 2011

The property consists of two three-story buildings. The check-in area is small and basic but I was recognized as an elite member and checked in quickly. The rooms aren't large suites in the Embassy Suites or Residence Inn sense, but there is a small but fully equipped kitchen area that separates the bed area from the bathroom. The room also included a couch, chair and a 32" flat panel TV. None of the channels appeared to be high def, but there were almost 70 channels available for viewing and the TV swiveled around for easy viewing from either the couch or the bed. Some other reviewers have noted that the facility is showing some signs of wear but overall, it was mostly quiet and clean. It's located in an office/commercial area and there are several restaurants and shopping within a short drive to the busy Airport Blvd. An Outback Steakhouse, Sonic and gas station/convenience store are within a few minutes walk. There is both wireless and wired Internet. My iPhone connected easily to the wireless Internet in the room, although the speed was slower than 3G, so I disconnected from the hotel's offering. The bathroom was nothing special, but there was plenty of hot water and good water pressure. The workout room was small, but included three different machines, each with cable televisions attached for easy viewing while exercising. Even though I was down the hall from the elevator, I could hear it operate. Since the property wasn't crowded the night I was there, it wasn't a big deal.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business
TPSMobile, General Manager at TownePlace Suites Mobile, responded to this reviewResponded December 2, 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

I wanted to let you know this property is under new management and over the summer we went through a renovation. We also now have a breakfast room. In 2015 we expect all new appliances. I wanted to share this with you in hopes you would like to give our property another chance to be your choice hotel while in Mobile.

There are newer reviews for TownePlace Suites Mobile

Reviewed January 16, 2011

We arrived at 1:30 in the morning and waited 20 minutes for for someone to show up at the front desk. The desk clerk was very unprofessional and had a few friends with him. We were using Marriott points and checked into 2 rooms. When trying to get in the 2nd room, the key didn't work. After several attempts, someone came to the door and yelled at us asking what we wanted. When we went back to the front desk the guy said, "oh, I must have written down the wrong room number." At this point, we just wanted to go somewhere else. We left and got the points credited. Having stayed over 300 nights in Marriott hotels in the last 2 years, I can honestly say, the service was horrible. Trust me, you don't want to stay here unless you are accustomed to horrible customer service and subpar hotel rooms.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Missourihb

Dear Missourihb,

Reviewed October 19, 2010

Stayed at this hotel with my wife and kids. This was our first stay at a TownePlace Suites. Overall, we had a good experience and we would stay there again. The staff was extremely nice and accommodating. Free parking, wireless internet, small fitness center, outdoor pool and a 1 computer/printer business center. No breakfast but they do offer norm muffins and coffee.

The hotel is located in a relatively safe area near the malls, just off the main street (Airport Blvd). Its about a 2 min drive to the mall and 25 drive to downtown and 15 min from the airport. Restaurants are within a 1-2 minute drive or 4-5 block walk away.

The room was quiet, clean and spacious but basic and slightly dated; no granite countertops, fancy wall paper or art deco furniture (if you need that). The bed was comfortable. The room did show mild signs of wear but nothing that I would call significant or unsanitary.

Our first night we turned on the heat and it set off the smoke alarm for about 10 secs and went off. That occurred one time. The clerk told me that sometimes that happens when the heat is turn on for the first that season due to dust/residue collecting on the heating element during the summer. We had no other problems.

In the extended stay line of hotels, I would place this hotel high on the second tier with Homewood Suites and the newer Residence Inns being first tier. This hotel is more affordable than the previously mentioned.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with family

Dear Guest,

Reviewed May 21, 2010

Perfect hotel if you are looking for a good night's sleep in a good location and a decent continental breakfast. We stayed here for a tennis tournament and it was perfect. The rooms are updated, clean and comfortable. TownePlace Suites is the budget version of Residence Inn but the only real difference is the breakfast (continental at TPlace vs. full at Residence Inn) and the lack of a happy hour/manager's reception at TPlace. If you don't need that, then save money and stay at TownePlace. This hotel is convenient to the Mobile Tennis Center, also. Outback and several other restaurants are just down the road. Easy in and out of the property. Very quiet at night. Get a good night's sleep here!

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family

Dear Valued Guest,

Reviewed April 11, 2010

We stayed in a 2 room suite (#131) for a couple of nights while visiting family in the area. My only other experiences with a Towneplace Suites were in studio rooms which seem fairly cramped. At $134/night (AAA rate) we got a good value. Four of us (2 small kids) had more than enough room. 2 bedrooms (1 large) and a large living room gave us enough room to spread out. We didn't eat in the room other than breakfast, but the kitchen was very adequate.

The staff were very friendly, the common areas were clean. Complimentary breakfast selection was a little sparse, but there were a number of options available in the small store in the lobby.

The hotel is close to a lot of shopping and dining on Airport Blvd and easy to get to off I-65. However, it's far enough away from commercial areas that it's quiet. We will definitely stay again next time we're in town.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family

Dear Value Guest,

Reviewed March 19, 2008

We stayed here the night before a cruse from the port of Mobile. We were upgraded to a two bedroom with no extra charge....we used our Marriott points for the stay, so we weren't even paying cash anyway...a double bonus.

The location was great...plenty of restraunts nearby, and all kinds of shopping.

It was clean, spacious, bright and cheery.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Dietcokeani

Reviewed January 20, 2008

I stayed here using a free night on my rewards program and I enjoyed everything but the location of my room. They placed me in room 101 which is next to the workout room so you hear everytime someone gets on the treadmill or is working out. Also, the room was located directly across the small hallway from the main door that everyone has to come thru to get to their room and it slams shut very loudly. It seemed about every time I would finally fall asleep someone would come thru that door and wake me up. I should have asked to be moved but didn't so that's my fault. Just make sure you are not in room 101if you stay here.

Other than that, the room was very clean and had plenty of room compared to some 3 and 4 star hotels I've stayed at before. I was only here for one night and didn't get to use their kitchen but it was nice to have if you needed it. I would recommend they upgrade their televisions. The one in my room was about a 20 inch old tv but it was ok since I was only there for a short night. Also the free wireless internet is a big plus to me and is a main factor I look for in a hotel. It's strange how so many smaller hotels, such as this one, can provide wireless internet for free when other large, more expensive hotels try to charge you for it. Thanks Towneplace for that.

Overall I would recommend this hotel. It's near many nice restaurants like Olive Garden and Outback and others and the convenience to the interstate is excellent! I will definately stay here again. Just not in room 101.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank travelboy2007

Dear Guest,

Robin Perkins/General Manager/tps.mobts.gm@marriott.com

Also consider these accommodations in or near Mobile
Residence Inn Mobile
Courtyard Mobile
Courtyard Mobile
#28 of 64 in Mobile
Courtyard Mobile Daphne/Eastern Shore

Been to TownePlace Suites Mobile? Share your experiences!