“Great Food Open way late”

Mediterranean Sandwich Co.
Ranked #6 of 693 Restaurants in Mobile
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Dining options: Late Night
Description: http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Mediterranean-Sandwich-Co/296966401183?v=wall
Reviewed February 11, 2014

As posted by many other reviewers I was quite pleseantly shocked at the quality of the food of this little dive. Due to the lateness of the hour I wasn't expecting much. My food was perfectly cooked and spiced. I thought the price for a smaller cup (about 16 oz) of tea was a bit much at almost 3 dollars. Skip buying a drink here and stick with the food.

Reviewed February 5, 2014

One of my top 5 places in Mobile. Everything that I have eaten there is excellent. Not your typical sandwich shop.

Reviewed February 5, 2014

I wasn't hungry at lunchtime and about 3:30 felt like I was starving. As I walked down Dauphin Street a great smell caught my attention. Tracking its source I found MSC, a small place with some seating but apparently set up more for takeout. I ordered The Italian Job (chicken, roasted peppers, lettuce, tomatoes, provolone and mayo on a flatbread). The sandwich was great and the side dish of tomato and basil orzo salad was delicious. Service was friendly. A good choice.

1  Thank xaviercourtois
Reviewed February 1, 2014

Let me start by saying I am not a sandwich person at all, but this place has totally changed my mind! It is so much more than just a sandwich! They have so much flavor, starting with the meat and even the vegetables and sauce, omg the sauces they put on these things! If it is your first time I suggest the mixed grill, it has a mixture of beef and lamb, caramelized onions, and their special tzatziki sauce. Give it a shot, you won't be disappointed!

Reviewed February 1, 2014

I had no idea until doing this review that it was the no. 1 rated restaurant in Mobile. We did have at least two people, while we were looking at the menu in the window, comment as they walked by that it was amazingly good.

The staff was friendly and good about answering questions we had. The menu is fun and varied and catered to our desire to eat vegetarian for this meal. One of the staff told us we needed to have the orzo pasta, so we got both kinds, the spinach-tomato and the bacon carbonara. He was right, they are both very good and as we were eating it later in the day (we took it take-out) I was wishing we ordered more of the orzo pasta. Both were good, the bacon was probably a tad bit better than the spinach (so much for vegetarian).

The roasted vegetable and cheese pita had peppers, onions, mushrooms, mozzarella, parmesan and pesto mayo. It was a decent sauce, the pita was nice and all the ingredients were there, and it was pretty good, but it just did not have any real zip to it. If I'd had access to some condiments I probably would have added salt and perhaps some hot sauce.

The goat and boursin cheese salad had roasted red peppers, roasted mushrooms, goat and garlic boursin cheese mixed together, almonds, citrus vinaigrette dressing and lettuce. There was a nice volume of mushrooms, just a small bit of red peppers, a glob of the cheese (which was good, but small) and mostly just lettuce without enough dressing. It was disappointing.

I'm sure we did not have the best they had to offer as we were going vegetarian and the orzo pasta they recommended was very good. So I give it a four, certainly not a five, but I would love to go back and try some of the most popular items and perhaps could be persuaded to upgrade the rating to what appears to be so highly regarded locally.