“Don't waste your gas” 1 of 5 bubbles

Environmental Studies Center
Ranked #25 of 66 things to do in Mobile
Type: Other
More attraction details
Owner description: This place is a nice choice for an educational outdoor setting located at 6101 Girby Road. They are part of the Mobile County School Board and open to the public also. They have an indoor classroom as well that houses some of their snakes, birds, and other various reptiles.Outside they have animals which were rescued or donated to them that are not able to be released into the wild due to an injury or other reason. The facility outdoors house dozens of animals to view by following the trails such as deer, a bald eagle, golden eagle, coyotes, racoons, owls, and even a goat. Viewing of the animals vary depending on circumstance. They occasionally get in different animals.They have a lake with ducks, fish, and even an American alligator. You simply drive there, follow the drive and signs posted for the parking area, walk inside the office, sign in, leave a donation in the container if you would like to help them with items and supplies for the animals, then tour the establishment. If viewing the inside, be sure to ask what rooms you can see since sometimes field trips are taken there and classes may be held. Please keep in mind that this is also a healing place for some of these animals and the people that work their take great pride in their job as well as keeping this place a nice home for their animals so please be courteous and follow the rules posted, stay on the trails, and don't try to touch the resident animals on the property.The staff are exceptional and usually someone is available to answer questions you may have. Hours are Monday to Friday 8:00am to 4:30pm Saturday and Sunday CLOSED
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Don't waste your gas”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2013

I took my three home-schooled children on a field trip to the Environmental Studies Center on April 5, 2013. The Center grounds are beautiful, but the lady in the classroom need to find a new job. She was rude and nasty for no reason. My children love science and animals so we toured the grounds by ourselves. We were told by some friends how nice it was and that we would have a guided tour to explain what they do there. We didn't have any of that. Needless to say, I will NEVER go back and I will tell everyone I know not to go. Jason Smith recommended this place. I appreciate his recommendations for things to do outdoors with my children. I give this outing a complete thumbs down. I will be taking my children to Baldwin County for field trips....

Visited April 2013
6 Thank angiea323

71 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 74 helpful votes
“Free, great educational place to visit”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2010

Free, great educational place to visit

1 Thank Rsavell
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“My favorite place in Mobile”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2009

For years I have been going to the Environmental Studies Center. I love to see the animals they get in and the constant improvements to the facility to ensure the comfort of the animals they house. My favorite are the deer. They walk right up to the fence wanting attention from the people coming to see them. Also when the lazy racoons are up, it's cute to watch them playing with their baby toys. Over the last few years, many new things have been added and the dam has been rebuilt. Of course this place is smaller than a zoo but it is never crowded and there is no admission. They do have a box inside for donations but it's not required if you don't have the money to spare at the time. The indoor area is a great learning place for all ages and it seems no matter how many times I go there, I always learn something new and never tire of going there.

8 Thank Digglebee