“Worst ... Hotel ... Ever ... Don't stay there!!!” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Beverly Motel

Beverly Motel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Mobile
Beverly Motel
Ranked #54 of 64 Hotels in Mobile
San Francisco
“Worst ... Hotel ... Ever ... Don't stay there!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2009

I saw the Beverly Motel listed in a few guidebooks as an affordable option south of Mobile ... and I also found an online discount where on a drop-in basis, you could get a room there for just $40. Sounded like a good deal!!

Then I showed up at the place, and the worn-out sign should have given me a clue. It was a dump ... and really, really creepy. The desk clerk was behind a bullet-proof window, and questionable folks milled about the parking lot. I work in San Francisco's Tenderloin district, where I've been inside every run-down slummy SRO. I got the same vibe from this place.

The front door to my room barely locked, and the windows had tape on it ... as if someone had tried to break in. The room also reeked of cigarette smoke. I complained to the desk clerk, who offered me another room. It was only marginally better ... because it had a bigger bed.

I debated on what to do ... I was only going to stay there for a night on a two-week road trip from Miami to Memphis, and my standards were really low and basic. I wanted to spend the least amount of money possible as the trip was costing me a fortune, but I still wanted a decent experience.

I concluded that, even if I wouldn't be spending any time there besides sleeping, it just wasn't safe for me ... a 30-year-old single male. Maybe if it was located in Downtown Mobile, I could stand it for a night ... but it was just an anonymous motel, miles south of town off a highway full of strip malls. It was gross ... it was depressing ... and I wanted OUT.

I told the desk clerk the whole place sucked, and I'm glad that he gave me a full refund with no trouble. I left as quickly as I could, and checked out other motels along the road. When I went to other places and mentioned the Beverly Motel, they sighed. "We don't talk about that place," they said. "We have a totally different clientele." I finally found a decent motel room a few blocks away ... it was $60 for the night, but worth the extra $20.

I cannot overemphasize how AWFUL the Beverly Motel is ... absolutely no one should stay there, under any circumstances. The only good thing I can say is that they didn't hassle me about a refund, so I could leave!!!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled solo