“Just a few items that need improvement”

Days Inn North Mobile
Ranked #21 of 64 Hotels in Mobile
Chicago, Illinois
“Just a few items that need improvement”
Reviewed March 27, 2013

I've had a couple bad Best Western experiences, so I have been totally avoiding the brand. My work associate was in the area before me and chose this hotel because its location was very convenient. It turned out to be much better than I feared (considering my history with the brand).
This facility seemed more spacious and upscale than most I have seen at Best Western, perhaps it was a different brand earlier?

I had a hard time rating this, because there were a couple issues, but because so many aspects were better than most in the brand, so I decided to go with "very good".

Facility was in good shape, with a couple of exceptions (see below). Cleanliness was good, better than many hotels. Staff was friendly and efficient. Room seemed larger than most Best Western's I have seen. Quiet A/C, good lighting, decent sized desk, very quiet room, smelled good - I slept great.

Here are the reasons it didn't get a top rating:
When I first laid down in the bed, it didn't support me very well. Within minutes, my back started hurting (my body is really sensitive to this). The mattress felt worn out in that spot. Suspecting that I was laying in the same spot where 90% of previous guests had, I moved towards the center and "voila", it felt much better. Which was good because it was very late, I was very tired, and didn't want to go through the hassle of changing rooms. Stayed a second night, knowing where to lay - so obviously it was comfortable (once I knew the secret). (management needs to look into replacing mattresses).

A little irritation was the curtain. The bed was nearly against the window, and the curtain didn't extend far enough to completely block the street light so a sliver of light played on the bed. I was able to work around that.

The desk chair seat pad felt worn out (or just cheap). It was uncomfortable. The hotel needs to correct this if they want business travelers.

As other reviewers have noted, the front desk person did the breakfast too, which means that both stations may suffer neglect. Nevertheless, the individual did a good job of keeping everything stocked. Then again, the breakfast was similar to what I have seen at other Best Westerns - which means it is serviceable but not that great.

In spite of my complaints, I was comfortable so if I had to stay in the area again, I would certainly consider staying at this place again - I would just check the bed and the chair the moment I arrived at the room.

Room Tip: Check the mattress and desk chair first before moving in
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank SGillinois
dipak P, General Manager at Days Inn North Mobile, responded to this review, March 28, 2013
Thank You for staying with us at the Best western Moffett Road Inn.

Firstly I would like to apologise for the quality of the mattress, we will look into it with the housekeeping team and rectify the problem.

Secondly the chair is something thats new to us and we will look into that as well.

Thirdly, yes the Front Desk associate was as you noticed between two posts, I am very proud that the individual did a Fantastic job of keeping the Front desk / Breakfast Area stocked and presentable. We have made strides into Employing a new Team member of staff to manage and maintain the breakfast Area

So the next time you come and stay with us we hope the outlined improvements are in place and the stay is as enjoyable as the last.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed March 26, 2013

Nice hotel at a god location near interstate. Staff is very pleasant and helpful. Breakfast was good but orange juice is watered. Near shops. Hotel is very clean and was quiet. Lots of commercial patrons reserved most of the rooms so boom ahead.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
dipak P, General Manager at Days Inn North Mobile, responded to this review, January 23, 2014
Thank you for your comments regarding your stay at our hotel. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay, and hopefully we will be given the opportunity to serve you again in the near future.
Reviewed November 21, 2012

It was a good stay I would say. Did not see much of the staff but it was a clean atmosphere. The location was not too great but was still in the heart of town. I would stay there again if i have to go back.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

dipak P, General Manager at Days Inn North Mobile, responded to this review, December 13, 2012
Thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule to give us such a positive compliment.
I am passing on your comments, knowing that it will serve as a type of feedback for us to build on for the future.
We appreciate your patronage and hope you will stay with us at the Best Western Moffett Road Inn the next time you are in the area. We look forward to your return.
Lutz, Florida
Reviewed July 8, 2012

This was one of several Best Western's I stayed at during a cross country trip lasting two weeks during June-July 2012.

Most Best Westerns have either upgraded their cleaning standards and rooms, are in the process of doing so, or are being sold off if they can't make the grade. An example: the dirtiest thing in rooms, the TV remote, is being replaced in the upgraded Best Westerns with an easily cleanable unit. This hotel didn't have that and appeared to be lagging behind in terms of other upgrades. With that said, the room appeared reasonably clean and the bath was in good condition.

The TV didn't work and I discovered that the electrical connection in the back was loose so i fixed it. I wasn't the only one with a TV problem as I know the night clerk had received a call about another with a similar problem. Unfortunately, he was the only person on duty so couldn't check people in and troubleshoot problems at the same time.

A pet peeve of mine is noise. A big plus about my room - the A/C was reasonably quiet. The refigerator was noisy so I just turned if off.

The other area where this hotel is behind other Best Westerns is the breakfast. Others have some form of eggs, a meat, and various breads and waffles. Of all the Best Westerns I stayed at the breakfast here was the worst with the least selection, microwaved "fried" eggs and no breakfast meat to choose from. The hotel staff person trying to manage the breakfast was also trying to man the front desk at the same time so the breakfast bar always seemed out of something. Although she seemed to be trying she didn't convey an attitude of good customer service. When you were looking for something and she saw you looking you still had to ask to get it rather than her noticicing something was out and volunteering that she was working on it.

In my travels this summer I have been very impressed with how Best Western is improving it's hotels. This one is not bad but it needs to make some improvements in service and amenities to keep up. It also needs to think about adding some staff, at least in the morning to manage and improve the breakfast service.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
dipak P, General Manager at Days Inn North Mobile, responded to this review, August 13, 2012
Firstly I would like to say thank you for choosing the Hotel.

Its unfortunate that we have not met your standards and we take every review by a customer very seriously.

We are in the process of upgrading certain room items and will be completed by the end of the year to be in line with Best Western Standards.

We wish you would come and stay again and provide us with a review again to see if we met your level of satisfaction.
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed April 30, 2012

I recently was in the Mobile, Alabama area to cover the Mobile Bay LPGA Classic (golf tournament) being held at the Magnolia Grove golf course near this hotel's location.

I had to make a change to my reservations before arriving so I actually had 2 reservations at this hotel.

The golf tournament was going on so the hotel was all booked up.

The front desk clerk (Kanyarda) was more than helpful in getting me checked in for both reservations. Without even having to change rooms. This made my stay get off to the right start.

The overall stay at the hotel was what I have come to expect from staying at Best Westerns around the world. Beds are comfortable, more than enough pillows, clean rooms, clean bathrooms and enough space to work.

They did not have a 'hot breakfast', but there was enough of a selection for me to grab something quick and get to the course for work.

This hotel was a perfect location for me on this trip. No more than 3 miles from where I needed to be.

My overall experience was a good one at this Best Western location.

Room Tip: There are really no sit-down type restaurants near this hotel's location. There is a 15-20 minut...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank target32
dipak P, Manager at Days Inn North Mobile, responded to this review, May 2, 2012
I would like to Thank you for a honest review. We as a team are proud of what we are trying to achieve and believe making sure our customers are happy is the key.

We look forward to having you stay with us again during the 2013 LPGA Classic at the Robert Trent Jones course.
Pensacola, Florida
Reviewed April 19, 2012

Well the excellent part was the night clerk and the condition of the hotel. The night clerk was friendly and efficient and we were on our way to our room quickly. The hotel/rooms are clean, newish and in excellent condition. The included breakfast was very simple but perfectly fine for a quick bite.

The terrible part started in the morning when we couldn't find a pair of eye glasses. It is an understatement to say the morning clerk was completely worthless. We spoke to her on several occasions in reference to searching for the glasses, going back to the room, etc. She made it obvious that we were a bother to her and she did not care in the least if we ever found the very expenses prescription glasses. She successfully communicated all of this without ever opening her mouth. SHE NEVER SPOKE. I began to suspect that from her "screw you" type attitude that maybe she picked up our glasses and was acting so oddly because she was stealing them and wanted us to go away. Having some experience dealing with lazy "screw you" type employees I knew the resolution to the problem was to call back with the friendly night clerk was back on duty. He had our eye glasses and we stopped by later that night to pick them up. We searched our room and all over the hotel without finding the glasses so I am positive the day clerk had them.

Finally, in an effort to alert Best Western of this problem I spend 30 unsuccessful minutes trying to fill out their comment form. Their comment page would not load correctly and I was not allowed to fill out the form because I did not have a rewards card number. Can only people signed up for the rewards card make comments? How silly is that?

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ShariPensacola
dipak P, General Manager at Days Inn North Mobile, responded to this review, April 22, 2012
Firstly I would like to thank yourself for the honest and open review. Yes we believe in having a clean property and a comfortable and peaceful nights rest as our guests priorty.

Secondly i do appologise for the staff members behaviour in regards to the lost property.

As we have maids that start at 9am in the morning, if items are found in the rooms or in property they are told to bring the items directly to the front desk and report it with the room number and time of find.

All front desk staff are asked of to communicate these items of lost property to each other during a shift change.

When investigating further into the incident. The naid did find the glasses outside and not in the room. Secondly it was that they had brought the glasses down later in the day as the maid where in a process of deep cleaning rooms and they have apologised for the late communication.

The memeber of staff i have spoken to and will discuss further customer service related solutions to issues and responding to customers in the correct manner and time frame with care and intent to serve the customer.

Finally i do apologise for what has happened and i hope you would use us for lodging stays where you can see the improvement in our service.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Mobile
Comfort Suites Mobile
#35 of 64 in Mobile
Holiday Inn Mobile - Airport
Homewood Suites by Hilton Mobile
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Saraland/North Mobile

Been to Days Inn North Mobile? Share your experiences!