“This hotel is highly overrated”

La Quinta Inn & Suites Mobile - Tillman's Corner
Ranked #10 of 64 Hotels in Mobile
Reviewed January 22, 2011

This hotel was listed as one of the top 5 in the Mobile, AL region when we stayed - currently, it's #4. If this is a legitimate ranking, then I'm afraid Mobile is full of roach motels.

The location is convenient - it's outside the traffic of Mobile. It wasn't hard to find.

The room was large enough for us (2 adults plus one infant with a pack-and-play-type crib), and the bed was nice. The TV, as I recall, was a large, flat-panel unit. That's about where the positives end for this property, in my opinion.

This is a 100% non-smoking, PET FRIENDLY hotel. Had we known that, we would not have stayed there. I'm sure housekeeping does its best when cleaning up after pets, but our carpet had pet hair on it, and so did our socks, luggage, crib, and anything else that touched the carpet. This is something that should be remedied, whether by purchasing more expensive, higher-suction vacuums or using the cheap carpet squeegee-type brooms sold at local discount stores. There was human and pet hair stuck on to the door of the bathroom as well as pushed into the corners of the bathroom (suggestion it was just mopped over and pushed into corners rather than picked up).

The breakfast was average. The person working in the breakfast lounge had the nerve to have a "tip jar" out. I guess her job doesn't pay enough - that's an issue between her and her manager, but to indirectly solicit tips by placing a tip jar out is a bit laughable.

I can't directly attribute it to this particular La Quinta, but my wife and I were violently ill that evening (the La Quinta is the only thing we ate/touched in common that day). Of course, any number of things could have caused it, but the average - at best - experience we had at this property led us to believe we picked up a virus/bug of some type there.

To their credit, the manager did knock $10 off our total bill when I told her of the animal hair. Having never stayed at a La Quinta before, and having relied on the high ranking on TripAdvisor.com, I didn't think $99 was a high price for this property, given that we stayed between Christmas and New Years' Eve. However, I wouldn't pay more than $69 to stay here if I were you. It's simply just an average hotel with average accompaniments.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank HighlyCritical

Reviewed January 12, 2011

From the moment I phoned (Bob) for a reservation to the departure it was the most pleasant experience. We are traveling with pets so to have such a lovely place to stay that recognizes pets as family was definitely a plus. I found all of the positives that were written were valid. Surpassed our expectations and we would not hesitate to stay there again.
Was especially delighted to learn that on Tuesdays there is a manager's reception. Beer/Wine and snacks.
Thank You La Quinta staff!!

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 29, 2010

I've found most La Quintas to be above other hotels in the same price range and this one was no different. Friendly staff greet you and the hotel seems to be fairly new. I was upgraded to a king suite and found it to be accomodated quite nicely with a flat screen TV, large desk, very comfortable bed and extremely fast wireless internet all at a great rate, and although not immaculate, it was very clean (there were some random cheerios on the floor and some crumbs on the little sofa - nothing offensive). This hotel is a step above similarly priced hotels, and a step above other La Quinta hotels as well and I definitely recommend this hotel if you will be in the Mobile area - it is a little bit further down the highway but after reviewing the other Mobile hotels, it sure was worth the minimal extra travel time!

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank businesstraveler009
Reviewed September 30, 2010

We stayed at the hotel on our way to Florida and were very pleasantly surprised at the friendly staff and beautiful clean rooms! Every employee we encountered was friendly and helpful. We felt like old friends of everyone. The rooms are spotless and the beds ultra comfy! From Russell Block (the General Manager) to front desk and housekeepers, we had a wonderful stay and have raved to all our friends about this paradise of a hotel! Kudos to Mr. Block and staff and don't change a thing!!!

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed July 15, 2010

I was approached in the front door driveway by a woman that asked me for money...And the bathroom could have been a little cleaner...

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed July 7, 2010

This hotel is new. It smells new. Its a beautiful place! We ended up in a king suite because of availability, but it was worth it. The staff, at check in, was awesome! Even had a rollaway in our room before we made it in there. We slept comfortably & without any problems. The breakfast was like eating at a diner...so much to choose from. We had to chuckle at the TV in our bathroom, though!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed June 25, 2010

I was in Mobile on business and stayed here for the convenient location and because it was highly rated. It is very new, nice modern beds with duvets, fairly clean. The only difference between this place and a hotel at twice the price is the standard of cleanliness is better (but not perfect) at a higher price hotel. It was very quiet for sleeping. There is a nice pool and jacuzzi and a bar-b-que for families. Breakfast was pretty standard.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled on business