“What's real to me should be real to you-in some form.”

Hampton Inn & Suites Mobile/Downtown
Ranked #1 of 64 Hotels in Mobile
Reviewed November 25, 2010

I stayed 3 total nights for a conference in the area. After a day and a half, I began to itch on my legs, arms, and back. This continued past my checkout date. I noticed red bites on these places, with minimal swelling. As I checked out a man was at the front desk stating he had found streaks of blood on his sheets and was concerned about bed bugs.
After I left, I traveled to the beach with friends and family. I had to stop at the nearest store to purchase Benadryl and Cortaid. While my bites are better, I am still not completely over the itching and redness-8 days later.
Wanting no compensation, but wanting to simply inform the hotel, was met with an undue resistance to there ever being any issues with bed bugs there. When I reminded the manager of the conversation I overheard at my checkout, it only made my own complaint more invalid, as far as she was concerned. She reported having my room checked, with no concerns. She told me I must have gotten them at another hotel or on my flight-which I had neither. After calling to tell me yet for the 3rd time that I was mistaken that I had had any issues there, and must have gotten 'something from another stay or church', I politely ended the call quickly.
While I would not accuse the hotel of having bed bugs, I do know that my itching, redness, swelling, and this spreading to my own child were real for me.
Whatever happened to the thought of what's real to me, could/should be real to you? Check it out carefully before tucking your toes under their covers....
As for the free internet, it worked only 1 night, but took my colleague and I several calls to get it to work. The other nights I had to do my business work through family at home since the Internet didn't work-which was complicated and time-consuming.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank timmonsthree
HamptonInnMobile, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Mobile/Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded December 6, 2010

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at our property. The owners and management team at our property take great pride in our hotel and the guest experience as it is a lasting one.

As you may have seen recently in the national news, bed bugs have become somewhat of an epidemic and are not just isolated to hotels any longer. An individual can come in contact with them on an airplane, in a dressing room, sitting next to someone in church or in any public place.

When a concern of this nature is brought to the hotel's attention, we do not take it lightly. You are absolutely correct in thinking that what is real to you should be real to us. In this situation, we received the telephone call several days after departure and immediately had the room inspected by a professional service the same day. The room was given a clean report, which the hotel has available for inspection by any interested party.

We do apologize for the challenges that you experienced during your stay with us. The outages you experienced during your stay are not consistent with our usual level of service. The internet service is an important amenity and reliable service is a necessity in today’s business world.

We appreciate your feedback. It is through guest’s like you, that we are able to improve our hotel amenities and strengthen our customer service skills. We hope that during your next trip to Mobile, we can show you the best our hotel has to offer.

I welcome you to contact me directly, should you wish to discuss the matter any further.

Theresa Wilson

Reviewed November 22, 2010

THE BAD AND UGLY: This is my second stay at this hotel. Standard 2 bed room is smaller than most Hamptons'. Showers seem to be designed for people over six feet tall, but toilets designed for kids. On my first stay last year I was awakened at about 3:00 AM by an obnoxious drunk man in the room next door. Well, I thought that was a isolated incident. But on this stay I was again awakened by a drunk couple in the next room- at 3:30 AM. They kept me up for about an hour. Should have called down to desk, but didn't want to wake everyone on the hall with a scene. There are a number of bars close by, and it seems the drinkers return to the hotel at closing time, only to wake their neighbors. I swear, the walls in this Hampton seem to be thinner than in others I've been in. But, the next day I spoke with the desk clerk, who assured me this was not a common complaint. I was not looking for anything, but she offered an upgrade to a suite for me and the family. We decided to take it since I didn't want a repeat performance of the night before. The suite was perfect. Didn't hear a soul that night, not even a mouse.
The Good: Suite life at this Hampton is far superior to the standard situation. It's the only way I'll ever stay there again. Breakfast was great- better than most Hamptons. Location is fantastic for pre-cruise or downtown tourism. Very clean- friendly staff everywhere. They do charge $9/day for parking, but it's very convenient and easy to access.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed November 21, 2010

I usually stay at Battle House. I love it but the rooms are not quite what I want. The king size suite at the Hampton was great. It was spotless and lovely. The staff was very friendly and the parking lot ($9) was just behind the hotel. I highly recommend the Hampton. Our balcony was very long - see the picture of the hotel. The whole balcony over the main entrance goes to each king suite. The only downfall? Very noisey cars/motorcycles all night long on the road in front of our room. We were awakened many times throughout the night. (Sounded like they were filming The Fast and The Furious.) Great location, bedding, decor, staff, etc. Walking distance to Battle House so you can still go enjoy the whispering arches. I would stay again but would ask for a room on the other side of the hotel.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 8, 2010

We came into Mobile early and needed a place to stay before our cruise which was to leave out on Monday. The dowtown Hampton exceeded our expectation with the room space, decor and service. Talk about conenience...we could see the ship from our balcony when it ported in Mobile. The pool is a bit small by very nice and was suitable for my family. Breakfast was awesome somehting for everyone and the rooms were clean and very comfotable. Would stay there again!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed September 28, 2010

Stayed here before our cruise on a Sunday night. Had a great stay. The hotel is brand new and walking distant to the cruise terminal, museums and lots of restaurants.
Had the sail and park rate. When I booked the 7 rooms I told them I was driving a motorhome. When I called to confirm the rooms told them again about the motorhome. The assistant mgr. told me the motorhome would not fit in parking. He talked to manager and called me back and told me to come and they would take care of it when I got there. When I arrived they were expecting me, told me to park in street overnight (was safe) and would comp my room and I would have to park at cruise terminal. Could not ask for better customer service. I would stay here again. Great hotel.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank nalabama
Reviewed September 28, 2010

If someone rated a place and said Wow, I don't know if I'd believe it. Believe this, the Hampton Inn & Suites Mobile/Downtown is worth the stay. It is fairly new at this writing and so incredibly thought out. The rooms are huge and comfortable. The property is well designed to fit the neighbourhood. It is not just a square plopped on the ground. I couldn't believe my luck in getting this room. I got a great price for it on Priceline and took it. It is one block from the museums near by and a short walk from the water.
I would definitely go back to this hotel if ever in Mobile again.
The breakfast was incredible. More than what I ever needed.
I loved this hotel so much I stayed at another in Florida off the highway and that one was good too and far better than the budgets nearby.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank LondonWesty
Reviewed September 26, 2010

We rented a suite at the Hampton for 1 night before our cruise. The hotel is only a couple of blocks from the cruise ship pier, and had a cruise package deal which included parking during our cruise. The suite we rented had a balconey which we could see our cruise ship from the morning of our cruise. The room was very spacious, exceptionally clean, elegantly decorated and very secure. The staff was professional and accomodating. The beds at the Hampton are the best I have ever slept in. I love the cloud nine beds!

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with family