“The best staff that have become like family to me when I was in Mobile,Alabama”
Review of Malaga Inn

Malaga Inn
Ranked #7 of 64 Hotels in Mobile
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed May 31, 2011

I want to say some nice things about the Malaga Inn and its staff, Julie, Chris, Vonnie, Byron and the cleaning and maintenance staff, they are great folks last year during the Oil Spill, Operation Deepwater Horizon. I was there from May 11, 2010 to December 2010. The Malaga Inn became my home away from home when I was in Mobile serving with the Coast Guard during the oil spill. The staff were very helpful and understanding of the situation that I was from Texas, a reservist recalled back to active duty and in a strange city that I have never been to or have no knowledge of. I have to thank the staff who I regard as the "extended family" nowadays. The rooms are great and the breakfast is good. Understand when you go to a local hotel that is 150 plus years old, not everything is going to be perfect and those of us that own homes know not everything is perfect and needs to be fixed but back on track, whenever something did go wrong with the two rooms I stayed in, the staff were great in getting the problems fixed. I liked the central location of the Inn as well too. Everything is walking or cabbing distance, so the fairs were not expensive. To me, being that I live in a historical district in San Antonio and the Malaga Inn in Mobile,Alabama is in a historical district as well also helped in making me feel like I was at home. Again, the staff are wonderful people, out going and really care about their guests, the hotel is charming and beautiful..... if you love older historical places this is the one to stay at but if you dont and are used to the bland "Holiday Inn" then this place is not for you.... so dont go there and make everyone crazy if you dont like older and historical because I enjoyed my time there and I STILL miss my home away from home in Mobile, the Malaga Inn.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank P_Elias2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
New Orleans, Louisiana
Reviewed October 7, 2010

I have stayed at the Malaga Inn many times over the years and am always satisfied with the experience. Be sure to ask for a room in the older joined front buildings. I particularly like to get one with a balcony.

If you are the type of person who likes the anonymous amenities of a large, modern hotel, this inn is not for you; but this little piece of old Mobile is perfect for those of us who value historic properties.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank benbenton
St. Louis, MO
Reviewed September 4, 2010

I recently had stayed at the Malaga Inn with my family and girlfriend and all I have to say is, guard your personal belongings with great care. We had a $300.00 Iphone stolen as well as $250 cash taken from a wallet that was left in a purse on the bed. We were from out of town and had decided to stay there for one night because of a cruise that we were taking that departs out of Mobile, AL. Everything was fine until the morning of check out right after breakfast. Just a word of warning!!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
3 Thank Harold555
Clanton
Reviewed August 13, 2010

We stayed for my birthday...and I absolutely fell in love!! I can tell you this hotel is not for those that like the modern amenties..there are no refrigerators, no microwaves. They have a nice pool, and a nice breakfast. Our room had a huge four poster bed, and a private balcony overlooking Church St. and it was really nice to sit on and drink our coffee and/or relax after our drive. Our room was clean, and decorated in the 1800s motif. The staff...they were extremely nice, and accomodating! Because it was my birthday, they let us stay later than the usual checkout and offered hints on where to go to eat and what we might like to see. It was really nice!! I will definitely visit this inn again!!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
4 Thank maryandjabari
Virginia
Reviewed July 28, 2010

We stayed three nights in this charming inn in Mobile. The original parts of the inn are very old and lovingly upgraded. Each room is decorated differently. All with grace, charm and a Southern touch. The continental breakfast is very basic, but adequate. The staff is just wonderful. They love the inn and all the guests. All are anxious to help you with directions, Mobile info and the like. We were there in HOT, HOT weather. The AC was working overtime, but seemed to keep up pretty well. Our only negative was that our belongings had acquired a slight moldy smell while there, an odor we didn't really notice while there, but that was apparent when we left. Chalked it up to "old building smell".

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Lexington, Kentucky
Reviewed July 6, 2010

We recently stayed at the Malaga Inn on June 12, 2010. The glory days of this hotel are but a distant mirage in the rearview mirrow. Although this used to be and one day could be a beautiful hotel, it is currently in a state of disrepair.
Our stay was plagued by a complete lack of air conditioning (despite the 95degree temperatures) to the entire hotel. After much complaining to the front desk, they finally agreed to call in a ac repair man (not sure why there was a several hour delay, as it was painfully obvious that the ac was out throughout the hotel). We were willing to roll with the punches and decided to allow managment to "fix the ac" while we left for dinner, with the promise that if things weren't better that we could leave for another hotel in town. The manager promised to "work with us on our bill to make up for the inconvenience". When we returned about 4 hours later, our room was a few degrees coooler but the ac would not turn on and it was still a minimum of 85 degrees in our room.
At this point, since it was already midnight, we turned all the fans on and tuffed it out for the night.
In the morning when we went to check out, the young girl at the front desk was oblivious and didn't seem to care about our stay. In fact she never asked us how our stay was, which I guess is probably a good thing for her since I would have given her an earful. On top of it all, she initially charged us the full rate for our room!! After repeating what the manager had said to us ("willing to work with you") she said that we would get a 25% discount, which equated to about $35. I guess to them, air conditioning is only worth about $35 dollars.
We certainly won't be back. The staff could have handled this problem much better. Next time we're staying at the Battleship Inn, as we had originally planned.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank annomy
Missouri CIty
Reviewed May 19, 2010

I booked this hotel for my Mother Grandson and I . I thought my Mother would enjoy staying in the area where she had lived as a young mother. The Inn looks charming from the outside. Once inside it is a terrific dissapointmoint! The first room we were in was dirty, they do have original pine floors but they each have large very nasty area rug. I know that they could have those rugs cleaned . The bathroom was nasty,smelled like old pine sol - the bathmat was full of black stinky mold when you turned it over the paint was cracking. the faucets had leaked under the sink cabinet. The Bed spreads wer stiff and smelled musty. We were transferred to a downstairs room which was a little better. The place is dark and dreary Curtains are heavy and musty. It was like staying in the Adam''s Family's house. It is not in the best area of town and unless it is Mardi Gras I would not feel safe going out at night. The kitchen looks and smells like a dungeon. Food was atrocious. Kitchen staff not friendly at all. The staff did readily agree to move us to another room and the front desk was friendly , but the over all experience was DISMAL at best. I would not reccoment staying there at all Atayed at tne Mobile Marriott for the same price the next night and it was a great improvement.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family