“Great visit”

Ranked #12 of 64 Hotels in Mobile
Greenville
“Great visit”
Reviewed October 13, 2006

I had a most enjoyable stay at the Riverview Plaza. I found the staff was very friendly and outgoing. Although the renovation was occurring, this did not effect the service that I was provided. I would definitely stay at this hotel again.

• Liked — New rooms
  • Disliked — renovation
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank Outspoken

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
Tallahassee
Reviewed September 3, 2006

I was aware that the hotel was under renovation when I reserved a room to stay. I was fortunate to get a "new room'" that was very modern. The colors were bright and the bed was so comfortable.

I found the staff to be over accommodating and very friendly. My room service order was both timely and delicious. When I visit this area again, I would definitely stay at the Riverview Plaza again. I would recommend this hotel to my colleagues and friends.

• Liked — Guest Rooms
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled solo
4 Thank FSU95
Washington, DC
Reviewed August 30, 2006

I stayed here one night for business and it was a bit of a hassle. First, I arrived late and no one was available to help with baggage. Check in was very slow. My first set of keys would not open the room, so I had to schlep down to the desk again to get the right keys. I pre-ordered breakfast and there was some confusion over my incidentals, though I had a credit card number at the desk on check in. The in room dining specialist wanted cash. Hmmmm.

The room view was nice, however trains run all night on the river front, so don't expect quiet. The room and hallways had a musty mold smell and decor was very much out of date. The hotel was undergoing a major rennovation to be a Renaissance hotel, so maybe that will be addressed.

On day two, I had a late check out and housekeeping came by 3 times while I was on the phone asking when I would check out. I kept explaining I hd a late check out an was on a conference call.

After check out, I waited an hour and a half for a taxi to the airport. I don't think this was the bell hop's fault, but you would think that the hotel would have a means to help their guests when emergencies like this arose. The bell hop then seemed more interested in checking in arriving guest for a wedding rather than helping to arrange urgent airport transportation.

• Liked — close to convention center
  • Disliked — smell and service
  • Tips/Secrets — Wait until rennovation is finished.
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank bbgak
Reviewed July 10, 2006

We stayed at the Riverview Plaza Hotel and I have to admit that our stay was very nice! They are underconstuction but the place is very well kept. The room was reasonably priced. The staff was very friendly and helpful, our check in time wasn't suppose to be until 3pm, when we arrived at 7:30am to make sure our reservations were complete they told us they could let us go up right then. Everyone we encountered (guest and staff) were all nice and smiling-having a good time. We asked for a room close to the top if possible and got one on the 18th floor! Room service was punctual and great! Our room was very clean with a beautiful view of the bay. The swimming pool was closed due to construction, but they would pay to let us use the pool at the YMCA-we were there for the beach so it really didn't matter. Parking we had to pay for but was very reasonable/cheap and most of all, safe from the street, we didn't mind paying for it. I would recommend staying at this hotel and would love to stay again! I can't wait to see what it looks like after the renovation!

• Stayed June 2006
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 24, 2006

Do not stay at this hotel. The parking garage is a maze, with confusing directions. This hotel is going through a huge list of renovations, but that does not excuse the problems I had. First, I couldn’t figure where to park because the parking garage next to the hotel is labeled as “city of Mobile” parking. It did not have a sign stating hotel parking is also allowed there. The parking is $9, with unlimited access so that is good. The parking garage is terrible. There is a bridge that you must find that links you from the garage to the parking lot. This bridge is extremely hard to find. There are no maps that tell you where to go. There are signs that point towards the elevators, but after you get off the elevator on the 4th level (where the bridge is) you still have to wander around to find the bridge. There are 3 elevators and only one of them is near the bridge. It’s dangerous. When I complained to the manager, he said maps are being made, but they are not here yet. That didn’t help me! I would have been happy with a Xerox copy of a hand drawn map. It would have been better than wandering around at 11 o’clock at night looking for that darn bridge. Another huge beef, is that there are no vending machines! NO VENDING MACHINES! This wouldn’t have been a problem if each floor didn’t have a sign pointing towards the absent vending machines. I searched 4 floors before I decided to call the front desk. It was past the time of room service so I was just stuck being hungry. You can go to almost any hotel and there will be some sort of snack machine, even if it’s a mini-bar in your room. I would have gladly paid $2 for a candy bar. When I asked if they were going to get vending machines, he said no. I guess to force people to use room service (which was good, but it ends at 11 p.m.). I hadn’t checked out of my hotel room and when I went up to my room to make one last check, the room was open and no one was in the room. No cleaning service was anywhere in the hall. I’m not sure what was going on but it was very disturbing. I found trash and food on the floor (which wasn’t mine). I will never ever stay here again, regardless of the view. The price of the room is not worth it the risk of staying.

• Stayed May 2006, traveled on business
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 14, 2006

For the price paid, the hotel offered little. The rooms were filthy, furnishings dated, mattresses old, you had to walk miles from the parking garage to get to the lobby. The registration process was uninformative, staff was rude and little help. Granted, the rennovation is going on (it needs it), but for $175 a room average nightly....I expected clean towels, a decent mattress and a continental breakfast.....would not recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed May 2006
6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
san francisco
Reviewed November 14, 2005

The location is great if you're going to the Convention Center, but I attended a conference there recently and MANY people had problems when they checked in.

I had pre-paid for a non-smoking, king bed room several months in advance. When I arrived, however, I was told that the only rooms available were smoking rooms. I refused to accept this since I was 7.5 months pregnant. After some searching around in the computer, I was then told that they could give me a non-smoking room but it would be a "parlor room," which meant a room with a desk and a pullout couch. Once again, I refused this and asked to speak to a manager. I was told, "The managers are all busy right now." Only after I persisted in adamantly refusing what they were offering me did they finally, miraculously, offer me the type of room for which I had paid for already -- a non-smoking king-bed room.

Other attendees had problems with not all of their nights being in the computer system and construction starting at 7:30 am in VERY close proximity to their room.

The staff was very pleasant, but the service was rather slip-shod: 1 of 2 phones in room didn't work, no in-room book of hotel amenities in my room (others said they had one but much of the information in it was out of date), 1 of 2 trashcans missing in room, had to ask on several occasions for a room service order form for early morning breakfasts, etc.

On the other hand, the room was large and the breakfast was good (not complimentary), and it's only a 1 minute walk across a skyway to the Convention Center.

I suppose I would stay there again for the convenience, but only slightly reluctantly.

3 Thank sfresident