“Could use improvement”

Renaissance Mobile Riverview Plaza Hotel
Ranked #15 of 64 Hotels in Mobile
Reviewed July 18, 2013

I am a platinum Marriott member so visit their properties often. I rate this place as average or below. The check in process was a bit of a mess that caused me to have to go back down to the lobby on 3 separate occasions. The rooms are small and not the cleanest considering this is a renaissance. The concierge lounge provides less than similar properties as well. For the price you may want to consider staying across the street.

Room Tip: If you are looking for a view, be sure to specify river view and ask for a high floor.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Philip K, Rooms Division Manager at Renaissance Mobile Riverview Plaza Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 27, 2013

Thank you for selecting our hotel while visiting the Mobile area. Your feedback is important to us and we appreciate your ongoing commitment to the Marriott brand. The arrival process is important to us as we want to start off everyones stay on the right foot. It appears we fell short here (along with other areas) and for that I am sorry. Please know that your comments will be shared with the appropriate people so we can evaluate your feedback and take the necessary actions to improve. We do hope you will stay with us again should your travels bring you back to our area.

There are newer reviews for Renaissance Mobile Riverview Plaza Hotel

Reviewed July 9, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for one night on business.

Pros:
-Great view of river. Really nice to look out to.
-location is right downtown.
-room was spacious and clean

Average
-gym was so-so. There was enough equipment but pretty tight squeeze.
-pool

Cons
-consierge lounge: barely any food and some of fresh fruit/veggies sour
-Internet was horrible. I had one bar from my room and it barely loaded a page.
-elevators really slow
-shower didn't drain and was really slippery

Overall there was nothing awful or wonderful about this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank SarahDavids

Thank you for choosing the Renaissance Mobile Riverview Plaza hotel. Your time and feedback are greatly appreciated. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed the view from your room along with the room cleanliness and location of our property. Please know that your list of cons will be given to the appropriate department heads for follow up. We appreciate your business and hope that you elect to stay with us again should your travels bring you back to our area.

Reviewed July 9, 2013

My husband and I stayed here on July 4th while passing through to FL.
It's a large hotel in downtown Mobile, across the street from the bay with fantastic views. It was clean and comfortable. Bar was a little over priced, as are most hotel bars. The ladies at the front desk were very nice and helpful. Pool was quite small for the size of hotel.
Our rate for a Thursday night on a holiday was only $99. I suspect this is because they are downtown, in more of a business area. There was a dive bar across the street, but not much else close by to eat or drink.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Philip K, Rooms Division Manager at Renaissance Mobile Riverview Plaza Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 12, 2013

Thank you for providing feedback on your recent stay with us at the Renaissance Mobile Riverview Plaza Hotel. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your time with us. Our location in downtown Mobile is in a great spot and is easily accessbile for those traveling on Interstate 10. Your positive feedback regarding our guest room cleanliness and your positive interactions with our front desk will be shared. We hope you will elect to stay with us again in the very near future.

Reviewed July 8, 2013

I really liked the hotel. It had a modern look and was clean. The view of the river was soothing and relaxing. But I have to say the bartender was extremely rude. She moved slow and spent her time talking with the patrons instead of getting the orders out. I asked for a margarita and when it was made there was a pile of salt in the bottom. I drank it anyway but when I asked for another I asked if she could make it with out the salt in the drink. Instead of saying she would fix it she gave an excuse that salt was on the rim so she couldnt prevent salt getting in the drink. I dont know about anyone else but EVERY margarita I have had before didnt involve SALT in the actual drink JUST AROUND THE RIM. MY thing is dont give an excuse just fix it. She even put a 20% gratuity on a party of 2 which she didnt deserve. Nice hotel but the bartender made the experience horrible. Stay there but dirnk somewhere else!!

Room Tip: Get a river view room
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your recent review. I am excited to hear that Overall you enjoyed your time with us. Please know that your feedback regarding our bartender has been sent to the appropriate individuals so we can properly look into and address the challenges you faced. We pride ourselves on delivering impeccable customer service and we clearly fell short here. Please know that we value your feedback and will use your comments to improve this level of service. We hope to see you back in Mobile in the near future. Again thank you for your time.

Reviewed July 7, 2013

The hotel was very modern and chic. The decor was very fitting for an upscale hotel. I was greeted by a friendly staff and they were very helpful. The view from my room was great. I was on the 9th floor. The rooms were clean and offered plenty of extra towels and pillows. My only issue is that you had to pay to park but that is typical of downtown locations. I would stay at this hotel in a heartbeat.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your feedback. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your recent visit with us here at the Renaissance Mobile Riverview Plaza hotel. The views of Mobile Bay are breathtaking from our Bay View rooms, especially during sunrise and sunset. Please know that your comments will be shared internally with our team. We hope that you elect to stay with us again should your travels bring you back to Mobile. Again many thanks for your time and input.

Reviewed July 6, 2013

I was very, very, very disappointed in this hotel. It had 4 elevators and only 2 worked. Bugs. The happy hour. What happy hour? No signature drinks. The hotel had a convention going on so it was a busy place. Check-In was easy the Riverview room was perfect (thanks to Melanie Tate, great customer service). It was just everything else. The Montgomery Renaissance has really spoiled me.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your comments concerning your recent stay with us. I was disappointed to read that we did not overdeliver while you were a guest with us. Please know that your feedback will be shared with the appropriate individuals so follow up can occur. In regards to Happy Hour, the hotel does offer a Happy Hour from 5pm to 7pm Monday - Friday. Although our signature drinks are not included on hour Happy Hour menu, we do have a nice selection to choose from on our Fathoms Lounge menu. I apologize if this was not shared with you and this will be part of our internal follow up. I also wanted to thank you for sharing your nice comments about Melissa. She is a great asset to our hotel and we are fortunate to have her on our team. We do hope that you will elect to stay with us again in the future. Again many thanks for your time and feedback.

Reviewed July 2, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for my annual OES/Masonic Session from June 25 - June 30th. I was pleased with the hotel staff upon entering. They handled our party of 11 coming in at 2 a.m. with ease. My room looked nice upon entering, I had a city view. Not bad, but an ocean view would've been better. Mobile's city view isn't all that. The closet was spacious and the bathroom was clean. The beds were heavenly. Yes, they had the heavenly bed going on from the pillows to the mattress. I slept very well. However, during my stay I begin to notice things. The table by the bed, which held the clock, phone and lamp was dusty dusty (yuck). When the sun hit it, it looked like it had not been dusted in ages. They didn't vaccum the floor while I was there. They didn't change the sheets during my stay. I understand the "Save the Environment" but, come on. I had to request that amenity. However, when asked it did happen and quickly. A couple of members in my party of 11 noticed that there rooms had not been properly cleaned before arriving. They noticed clothes left behind from other guest under their bed and in the drawers. The food in the hotel was pretty good. The Garlic parmesan chips for 99cents were great. You have to order them at the bar. The air condition was always booming. (That was a plus.) Oh! Our session was 600 plus people, yes that's a lot. But, we had a difficult time with the elevators being broken and lots of time wasted while waiting on an elevator. Some people took to the stairs. Overall it was an okay hotel. But, I could've stayed across the street at the Hampton Inn and got Free breakfast. I love Hampton Inns.

Room Tip: Choose a ocean view. Water is always soothing to look at. The city view was weak.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Philip K, Rooms Division Manager at Renaissance Mobile Riverview Plaza Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 8, 2013

Thank you for choosing the Renaissance Mobile Riverview Plaza hotel. I am delighted to hear that your arrival process was smooth and enjoyable. I am also glad to hear that you were able to sleep well while staying with us. In reading your review, I was disappointed to see that your stayover cleaning process was not executed properly. Please know that your feedback is being used with our Housekeeping team to make sure we learn from our shortfalls. Our ambassadors enjoyed having your group in house last month and we appreciate the time you took to tell us about your stay.