“Lots to see”

Victoria, Texas
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Lots to see”
Reviewed January 28, 2014

A walk down Government Street and Dauphin Street are highly recommended. In the evening the view from the Sky View Lounge on the top floor of the Holiday Inn Downtown is spectacular.

1 Thank Louis M

Fort Wayne, Indiana
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“Loved the live musicians by the popcorn shop”
Reviewed January 26, 2014

So many iconic restaurants here, only so much room in the stomach. Never disappointed with food or drink. The people were very friendly. Especially enjoyed the math professors from Southern Alabama University who were playing for us on Sunday at about noon. After the parade the night before, it was another flavor of Mardi Gras. Wonderful historic district!

2 Thank HappyHoosierWanderer
Bowling Green, Kentucky
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“A nights sleep”
Reviewed January 24, 2014

My husband and I stayed one night at the Quality Inn after being told that the original hotel we'd intended to stay at had no available rooms. We were very tired from traveling for 11 hours and I wanted a nice hot shower and a good nights sleep. The room had a jacuzzi tub and I thought this was going to be great. To my dismay the jets didn't work and the shower was so tiny I couldn't even bend down to wash my feet. The bed was a king size and the pillows looked as if they belong in a baby's crib. The one good thing I can say, at least I didn't have to sleep in my car and the black woman at the front desk was pleasant.

3 Thank Lyn S
Pinole, CA
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Meandering through history and Southern vistas”
Reviewed January 17, 2014

The great part about walking down Dauphin Street is the feeling of walking through history...in the early 1800's. The building have been kept in a restored condition, the magnolia trees are sending their perfume wafting through the air, and there is an overall feeling of Southern comfort all around. I love walking on this street!

Visited February 2013
2 Thank Chuck D
Virginia
63 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 110 helpful votes
“Go, if you want to save it”
Reviewed January 5, 2014

I agree with the person who wrote "very sad." It is sad. Every time I visit, more and more shops and restaurants have closed. Then some open, but then they close -- some within a year. There are, however, some good food and drink establishments (particularly the LoDa Biergarten), so we need to patronize them -- before they're gone, too. There's still some nice architecture and lovely old oak trees. Also, there's "art walk" which is (I believe) the first Friday night of every month (possibly the second). The local art galleries stay open late and usually serve drinks and snacks while you look at the arts and crafts. It's a fun evening. But basically, we have to support Dauphin Street, rather than just lament it.

Visited December 2013
1 Thank SROVirginia

Been to Dauphin Street? Share your experiences!