“I used to go to Zhong Hua ...”

Zhong Hua Dim Sum Restaurant
Ranked #679 of 933 Restaurants in Melaka
Reviewed June 15, 2019

I visit family in Melaka every other year over the last 30 years. I have made a decision NOT to have Dim Sum any more in Melaka - as they are all so poor - from the perspective of Hong Kong taste. Tim Ho Wan was the better one but the menu limited and prices were more than double the local outlets. I also went to Zhong Hua - opens early and easy to park. I also used to go to Ramada's Long Fen (O.K. but Halal), De Ocean (limited menu), Garden (limited menu). The problem for me is 1. None of them serve my favourite Beef Cheung Fun. 2. The prawns inside Har Kau are not King Prawns but chopped up small prawns. 3. No prawns inside Siu Mi (No prawns inside Won Ton is the same problem for me) 4. The other items using "fish paste" all taste the same and same texture . (I suspect the "fish paste" is bought from the Fish Ball suppliers and thus ALL STANDARDISED). 5 The biggest problem for someone with Hong Kong taste is almost ALL DIM SUM items are just too sweet - too much sugar - including Yam/ Taro Croquette (Kuo Kwok), Char Siu Buns, Chicken Buns, Deep Fried Glutinous Rice Dumplings. Even the Chilli Sauce is too sweet for me. 6. I do not have congee/ porridge in Malaysia because it is too thick - the Teo Chow style - grains of rice in water. However, DragonI 's "Canton I" run two Hong Kong style restaurants in K.L. - with some items like Won Tons flown in daily from Hong Kong. There are also a couple of other Hong Kong restaurants in K.L. So when I am in Melaka and fancy some Dim Sum/ Won Ton Noodles, I drive (1.5 hours) to K.L.

Date of visit: December 2018

Reviewed December 8, 2017

After recommendation from friends, we went to the restaurant to try it.
The Dim Sum is expensive in local standard.
The food is so so only.
We even have one dish that wasn't cooked sufficiently. They basically bring back the basket to warm it and return it to us.

There are other places selling better Dim Sum and cheaper also!

Date of visit: March 2017
Reviewed September 2, 2017 via mobile

The most terrible Dim Sum in Malacca!
Avoid at all cost!

Service was bad and chaotic. Food served wrongly to most tables. The other table didn't order Siew Mai, it was served to our table instead.

We insisted to have 1 plate of each dim sum. There were so many times that they placed it to our table, intending to add more extra dim sum into our bill charges. Very unethical business!

Lady Boss was rude & inpatient when I demand to have a receipt of my bill to check my order.

Food quality was rubbish. Dim Sum- Siew Mai turned sour. There are many better dim sum place in Malacca. It's so far the worse dim sum I've been to.

Overall, my family was disappointed that we had to go to other food place to settle our lunch instead.

Date of visit: September 2017
1  Thank pgl89
Reviewed September 2, 2017 via mobile

Actually i dnt want to put star because its not worth even 1 star. Just like other comments, food ,service, price, attitude for the worker all very bad. The price was damn high even compare to KL. If you really do not have other choices, my answer still is no and never to this restaurant.....

Date of visit: September 2017
Reviewed June 17, 2017 via mobile

The food options were very limited and not as good as other dim sum places I've tried. The service was poor, had to ask multiple times for food, they don't have enough waiters. Food was pricey as well.

Date of visit: June 2017