“Good for the experience”
Review of Capitol Satay

Capitol Satay
Ranked #62 of 681 Restaurants in Melaka
Cuisines: Malaysian
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night
Singapore, Singapore
“Good for the experience”
Reviewed June 19, 2014

Brought my parents for supper at 10pm. Queue was still long and waited for around 30min while chatting with the other queueing patrons. A cacausian guy was so bemused that so many queue up for this particular shop while the shop directly opposite has so little customers. Guess everyone wanted to try the 'original'.

After getting a table, my dad and I proceeded to choose the sticks of food. Each stick is now RM1. Since we were not very hungry, we were quite conservative in our selection. The person came with the pot and started mixing it in front of us and explained to us that the mixture includes lots of chinese herbs and spices. The fire was hot and soon the pot was boiling.

The sauce is pretty nice and thick and goes well with the food. It increases our appetite and soon, my dad and I had to refill the food. Just as we thought we were about done, the staff brought out the 'special' sticks of scallops, cuttlefish tentacles and mock abalone. No big prawns for us though as we had too little compared to others around us.

We left around 11.35pm and there was still a queue although the staff said they closed at 12 midnight. Overall, you really need to have patience to eat at this stall. Only about 10 tables only. Having eaten at the other famous stall in Malacca, I must say I prefer Capitol more.

• Visited June 2014
2 Thank Patrick L

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
Penang
“Constant queue for something not so special.”
Reviewed June 11, 2014

The queue is constantly there no matter what the time is. And the length of the queue is around the width of 2 shophouses. If you are the last one, it might take you 1.5 hours. I queued for 1 hour and I gave up. Alternatively, there's another satay celup just opposite named A Famosa Satay Celup. I went over and give it a try. And surprisingly, the taste turns out to be good. Being a Penangite myself, I hope the readers out there will trust my taste bud. I am a fussy eater in fact. So, although I didn't try out Capitol Satay Celup, trust me that it's not worth the time you going to sacrifice in the long queue. Just go over and give A Famosa Satay Celup a try. You will not regret it. I do not know how good Capitol is......but A Famosa is good enough. FYI, I went there at 9pm, and the length of the queue is what I described. Queued until 10pm and I gave up.... :)

• Visited June 2014
5 Thank choihb
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
“Rude staff”
Reviewed June 10, 2014

We waited outside for 50 minutes after opening time, before the doors opened. No apology from the staff for late opening. Then we were shouted at and rudely pointed to a table.
The meat on skewers was half defrosted - not good food hygiene to be cooking meat from half frozen. The sauce was nice, but got a bit samey after 20 sticks.
Also the satay pot in the middle of the table (heated by gas) was boiling over and spitting oily nut sauce all over us. Each time we turned it down, the staff turned it back up again.
Overall not worth the hype.

• Visited January 2014
3 Thank thewisewombat
Singapore, Singapore
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Does Not Suit Our Taste”
Reviewed June 3, 2014

The queue was long. The heat of the hob was very close to our legs. We just do not use to it. Besides that it does not suit our taste. We ate satay celup at another shop sometimes back, the soup and the peanut mixture was proportioned very well. I would say it taste better than Capitol satay....
However, the good point is the satay selection is variety and fresh.

Visited May 2014
Seremban, Malaysia
“Two freaked hours”
Reviewed May 10, 2014 via mobile

We arrived late. About 7-ish and it was a Saturday. Not a great timing to be there because of the queue.
Officially waited from daylight to night. Waited for 2 long hours for it.
BUT..... It was really worth a meal. The satay celup was nice and of course the sauce was "tweaked" by the waiter there was just nice in taste. Should try.... According to sources, reach there at 4.30pm and wait for the shop to open at 5pm.

3 Thank kswong90