Tripadvisor

“NOTHING TO SHOUT ABOUT”

Monterios Portuguese Seafood Restaurant
Ranked #69 of 988 Restaurants in Melaka
Reviewed January 21, 2020

I told my family about the dinner area in the Portuguese Settlement and we decided to visit there for our Christmas Dinner. We had wait for a bit for them to prepare the table for us. We than orderd Fried rice, Baked fish, Squid Fritters, Kangkung belacan, Kailan, Chicken Debal Curry and drinks. We had to wait a bit, we asked them how long would it take to get our food. The lady said "if we are patient, we would get nice food" now i dont think its a proper way to answer your customer. the Baked fish was not very fresh, tasted like mud. Squid Fritters was okay and that was the only thing on the menu for kids, as we had 2 children with us.Kangkung belacan was normal too. Debal Curry chicken also was not that great, they gave us more potatoes and gravy and not much chicken. We wanted some hot drinks and they said it was not available at all which was quite disappointing. Now when we finished, we realized that our Kailan never arrived. We called for the bill and the boss came and to collect our money, as we went through the bill with him, we told him we never got the Kailan, at that moment he asked us "Do you want the Kailan now" ??? We had finished our Dinner what are we going to do with the Kailan, utter nonsense la. As we were walking away, new customers came in and were seated, the lady boss was asking away to one of the waiters for hot drinks to be served, how come they could get hot drinks and we couldnt get it. Quite unfair service. While eating the baked fish, i got a bone that got stuck in my throat and started coughing, my brother in law immediately ran to the lady boss to ask for some rice, knowing quite well my situation, she took her own sweet time to get the rice for me.....haizzzz dont want to say about your service la. You are busy trying to serve Portuguese food, but have lost quality of real portuguese food.

Date of visit: December 2019
Write a reviewReviews (62)

Reviewed May 23, 2019

We visit every time we go to Malacca. Funny enough the thing we miss the most wasn't the food, but their mango juice. Best not to go during festive season as it's a terrible wait. Other than that, it's nice to chill.

Date of visit: March 2019
1  Thank yiliyuli
Reviewed April 8, 2019

The Portuguese settlement is a place like no other I've been, but if one place embodies the familial, lighthearted and culinarily expert nature of the 2,500 people living there, it is Monterios. We went to try the mysterious Debal Curry (which you have to ask for) and we left eight hours later, supremely spoiled on spicy and flavourful Debal, rich and scrumptious dry butter prawns, and garlic and butter scallops that were dropped on our table straight from heaven. I am not normally a scallop enthusiast. Thankfully a divine voice in my subconscious implored me to order them. I'm ever so grateful.
After finishing our unparalleled meal we were lucky enough to join Janet and friends for a chat; so wonderful the company we stayed for many more hours. I wish we'd have stayed for many more.
Thank you Monterios for a remarkable meal and a remarkable evening!

Date of visit: April 2019
Reviewed March 17, 2019 via mobile

We came here for dinner on a saturday night as part of a big group of a few tables. The staff are friendly but there is only one cook so be prepared to wait for your food. Time from reaching the place (we booked beforehand) till finishing our food was about 2.5hrs.

Date of visit: March 2019
Reviewed February 19, 2019

The cooking style is not Portuguese, but we nevertheless enjoyed the food.
We had the water spinach, fried rice and clams. We found that the spices overpowered the flavour of the clams and that we should have ordered them less spicy.
We sat in the courtyard outside – the setting is simple but clean, and prices are very affordable.
The staff speaks English.

Date of visit: December 2018