“Great service, convenient location”
Review of Holiday Inn Melaka

Holiday Inn Melaka
Ranked #8 of 166 Hotels in Melaka
Singapore, Singapore
“Great service, convenient location”
Reviewed December 5, 2010

A group of us stayed here between Dec 1 and 3, on the 13th floor.

The best thing about this hotel is the service. Staff were friendly and helpful, and whenever we needed attention, we received it promptly. For example, when we called the front desk cos we had a problem with the safe, someone turned up to look into it within minutes.

Next to the reception desk in the lobby, there is a telephone that connects you directly with the general manager if you're not happy with the service or have any issues. During our buffet breakfast, we had regular and prompt service from the wait staff.

The food at es-sence restaurant where we had breakfast was tasty and satisfying, if not spectacular. There was a good selection of Oriental and Western fare.

The rooms were spacious and clean, with a radio/alarm clock/iphone speaker in every room.

The hotel is located next to the main shopping malls - Mahkota Parade and Dataran Pahlawan. However, a very major and very busy road separates the hotel from the malls, and there is no pedestrian crossing. The hotel provides a free shuttle bus service to get around this problem - the bus leaves at hourly intervals between 10am and noon, and every 2 hours thereafter till 10pm. It stops at Jonker Street and outside Dataran Pahlawan megamall. The bus arrives on time every time and the drivers are friendly and helpful, like the rest of the really excellent staff at the hotel.

For those who carry a laptop, there is high speed Internet access via ethernet cable in every room, and the first 2 hours are free of charge. Alternatively, there is a 24-hour business centre where Internet usage is free if under 1 hour, and RM6 per hour for extended usage.

The hotel cost us about US$80 a night, which is totally reasonable considering the excellent service and location.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
, Manager at Holiday Inn Melaka, responded to this review, January 6, 2011
Dear Shahida,

Thank you for staying in Holiday Inn Melaka during your recent trip to the historical Malacca.

We are glad that you had a pleasant stay here and that you were satisfied with our services and facilities.

We truly value your support and look forward to welcoming you again in the near future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (446)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Reviewed November 30, 2010

I stayed 1 night at this hotel recently. Pluses - very comfortable bed and pillows, good front desk staff, good straits view, interesting bars and restaurants close by. Minuses - food is average, Sirocco restaurant is small, Sirocco bar is too open and public, room walls are too thin, no separate shower cubicle. Overall, a decent hotel but there is certainly room for improvement.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
Brooklyn, NY
Reviewed November 28, 2010

I arrived from Kuala Lumpur to a warm reception of friendly people with refreshing cold towels. They immediately took everything under control, and although I did not include breakfast in my initial reservation, asked if I wanted it and I am glad I said yes! The hotel lobby is bright and airy. Little kids love to run up and down the lobby, but it's a big space and if I were still a little kid I would want to do the same. This certainly should not be a problem for anyone at 3 in the afternoon! My room overlooked the city as I had requested, and the view at night was really lovely, with the heart of the old town illuminated in red. The concierge was very helpful in arranging dinner that night at a restaurant in the Portuguese settlement, which should not be missed, as the food was great. It's only a short cab ride away from the hotel. They also made my arrangements for onward bus travel to Singapore, easily and efficiently. The breakfast buffet the next morning was a nice surprise with traditional western breakfast items, Malay breakfast items that are a different experience, and also a Japanese buffet. While sushi in the am is not my style, I am sure the Japanese guests enjoyed it as it all looked fresh and well presented. I had some laundry done, and it was returned the same day. I did not visit the spa, but it appreared to be in traditional Malay buildings to the right of the infinity pool, which I did use, overlooking the ocean. The management also left a notice in my room about the problem with the road cutting the hotel off from the town. It is crossable during the day, but at night one must walk down a bit to go under it. The reward for this is walking through a very nice development of new buildings done up in colonial style, with shops and restaurants that may tempt you from going further into town! The hotel is well aware of the problem and urge guests to sign the petition to the city government to erect a crossing, which I certainly did. When it was time to check out I blurted out loud, 'Idon't want to leave!' A couple checking in right next to me said to themselves 'Did you hear that?' I meant it too. This is the type of hotel where you feel welcome the moment you arrive, and that stays with you the entire time. I had staff members saying hi to me all the time, asking how I was enjoying myself. I would not hesitate to go stay here again. Melaka is beautiful enough to return to, and this is, in my opinion, the best place to stay. I enjoyed my stay here, and you will too.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled solo
HIM_MARCOM, Manager at Holiday Inn Melaka, responded to this review, December 6, 2010
Dear Bklynbubba,

Good day to you!

Thank you for your feedback. We are pleased that you had an enjoyable stay at the Hotel. With your feedback, we will endeavor to maintain our good work if not do better so that our Guests will continue to have a positive experience. We look forward to having you again during your next trip to Melaka.

Thank you!
Ipoh
Reviewed November 26, 2010

Following how I encountered my bad experience ever...
I left my sling bag in room 0406 safe box, locked with password. Checked out & Called up hotel @ 1730, Oct 11, 2010. Informed I will come and collect @ Oct 12, 2010 noon. I requested to sign Lost & found Articles, NO.000674, shown all detail, Found Oct 11, time 6.00pm i.e 30 minutes after my first call. Finder name: Reginal, Bag ready check by Zaidi, handled by Ranjit.
I collected with believe that everything in order. Once arrived home I fully checked the content, other items remain intact but total of few hundred USD currency notes missing, I really disappointed with the incident and make a call again to Holiday Inn Melaka, spoken to Azilla. She promised to check on this matter.
I'm fine if I left something outside the safe & missing, now everything in safe with password protection still missing.. which I can't tolerate. Good hotel brand being spoiled by not entirely trustworthy personnel.
I wrote my feedback in International Holiday Inn web, got reply from Irene Liew, PA to GM on Oct 16 asking for the amount USD went missing, after I replied.. all remain silent till I wrote to them again on Nov,24. She reply with all funny story, told me that GM already replied my mail on Oct,19. She try to wrote junk with no prove of sent date & time from GM to me..
I just want a the public out there to be more alert if u have no choice and need to stay in this hotel. Even your safe box in your room is not save enough.... & the people there will not bother to help solve your problems.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
4 Thank schvangvong
, Manager at Holiday Inn Melaka, responded to this review, November 30, 2010
Dear Schvangvong,

We thank you for choosing Holiday Inn Melaka during your previous visit to this city and we regret the untoward incident.
Further to our correspondence since October, once again, we take note on all the inconveniences caused. As updated to you earlier, investigations had been done and we ensure you that it was taken most seriously and professionally.
To further improve our guests' staying experience here, your comments have been highlighted to the management to make amends.
We only feel that your negative comments in the last paragraph is unwarranted as proven by the majority of the positive feedbacks that we have been receiving from our guests regularly.
We are aware that there is no way to make good on the disappointment you had experienced, we hope our sincerest apologies accepted.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 21, 2010

this hotel is a good choice. Apart from the terrible green colours and beeing expensive, all fine.

This is a pretty new hotel so not much wrong. Lets see how it develops over the next years.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Bangalore
Reviewed November 20, 2010

Its situated near Makhota parade mall and also Jetty where all people come for leisure in boat tours. Its neat and very clean hotel and situated at a very nice place. Its also near to sea so once you get down to parking you can see sea and some boats and ships sailing across. It also has good service and food i have ordered was pizza but the taste wasn't that great but the rooms were so cool and i liked them very much . I recommend all people who want to shop around Melaka to stay in this hotel.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
HIM_MARCOM, Manager at Holiday Inn Melaka, responded to this review, November 23, 2010
Dear Kaprocks49,

First of all, we thank you for choosing Holiday Inn Melaka during your recent trip to Malacca town.

We are glad that you were overall satisfied with us and had a pleasant stay here. Your recognition has definitely motivated us in providing an even higher level of services. We also note your feedback regarding the food quality. Please be assured that your comment has been taken seriously for further improvement.

Meanwhile, we look forward to welcoming you back to Holiday Inn Melaka very soon.
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed November 16, 2010

We stayed one night at the Holiday Inn on our way to KL after a bus trip from Singapore.
The hotel is in a great positon, situated right on the water (straights of Melaka) & close to the old city of Melaka. Within walking distance to the historic portugese and dutch areas.
Hotel staff were friendly and helpful with nothing being too much trouble.
This is an upmarket hotel and facilities are what you expect from this type of establishment. We would definitely stay in this hotel again.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
HIM_MARCOM, Manager at Holiday Inn Melaka, responded to this review, November 18, 2010
Dear Gary59_10,