Holiday Inn Melaka
$24
Casa del Rio Melaka(Melaka)
$176
$61
$61
$49
1,953 results
All reviewsstraits viewkids suitetea tree spathe executive loungebusy roadinfinity poolshuttle serviceshuttle busjonker streetclub roomfacing the searoom facingmahkota paradehigh floorchecking innice poolshopping mall
Reviewed November 1, 2008

Stayed one night at the Holiday Inn Melaka. Chose it after reading various reviews and posts on this forum and not disappointed. In short it is a new hotel and hence everything is clean, works well etc.

Two connecting King executive rooms facing Straits of Melaka - good view, quiet, good size. Bathroom was clean, well designed. Bed was firm but not uncomfortable.

Hotel restaurants are good value for money - both the a la carte and especially buffet lunch and dinner went down well with kids. They have this promotion where kids under 12 eat for free if accompanied.

Only quibble was the location - slightly away from the old city and Jonkers Street, about 10-15 mins walk. One only hopes that the good condition will be maintained over time - have seen many Malaysian hotels that were once good allowed to deteriorate to a sad state.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank pfz
Reviewed October 30, 2008

I have stayed in the Equatorial for two nights. The lobby and room smelled bad. The breakfast was good, and my room has a lovely balcony facing the Dataran Pahlawan. But that was about it. I couldn't stand the smell of the room, which in the matter of fact, the room looked aged. Then I decided to changed to the Holiday Inn after reading some good reviews about it.

Decor wise, it is much comtemporary than Equatorial. Also, Holiday Inn is a relatively new hotel in the town, therefore the lobby and room are still clean and tidy. However, I must say that the breakfast is on a disappointing side. The breads and pastries were pretty dry. I tried the cake at the Sirocco Bar, it was old and hard. tsk tsk tsk.....

The swimming pool at the Holiday has a superb view, facing the strait of Melaka. During sunset, the view was fascinating. However, they only open till 7pm. With such great view, I think they should at least open it until 8pm.

Tried the Sirocco Restaurant, the Duck Breast (appetizer) was wonderful! The duck breast has the right proportion of fat and lean meat, served with cooked pear and beef bacon and a salad. I highly recommend this dish to anyone who is intending to dine in there. However, I was highly expecting the Spaghettin Vongole after that. Frankly speaking, it looked like a Chinese fried spaghetti than a Italian dish for me. Rather disappointing than what I expected , but I thought it was pretty creative. Just don't expect too much as the original Spaghetti Vongole, then you won't be disappointing.

Overall, the Holiday Inn is fine for the value of money. I would recommend this hotel, especially the rooms that are facing the strait of Melaka. The staffs were also friendly and helpful to most extend.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled on business
2  Thank Cinfulmocha
Reviewed October 27, 2008

My kids convienced me we should go to Melaka for the weekend, and after reading a few reviews on this website, I went ahead and booked 2 rooms at the Holiday Inn.

I booked rooms on one of the the executive floors, and had an extra bed added to each room. This was done via the online booking system and it was easy to use.

Upon our arrival we were led directly to the third floor to check-in, which was great as we were sat down with cold drinks and the staff came to us to take all our details. We were in out rooms quickly. The extra beds were not in the rooms when we arrived, but after a quick phonecall they were deliverd within minutes. The children loved them as they were of good quality and were an oversized single.

The pool was excellent being an infinity pool of about 30 x 15m, and looked out over the Melaka Straits. On our first evening, we ate at the ground floor resturant and loved the food. It was fresh and tasty, cooked in front of us at the open kitchen.

The service in the hotel was really good - the staff were attentive, but not overpowering. They arranged taxi's for our group of six, and made excellent recommendations on where to visit.

The third floor exectuvie louge was like an oasis with cold drinks and small snacks available throughout the day. I would recommend this, it is only a small upgrade cost.

The only negative comment I can come up with, is that you have to take your life in your hands if you choose to cross the busy expressway (a dual lane road between the town and the hotel), or you have to make a 10 minute detour to go under the bridge.

We all enjoyed the Hotel, the rooms were clean and very modern, it was well priced. When we return to Melaka, we will go and stay at the Holiday Inn again.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank SP00NS205
Reviewed October 13, 2008

Just came back from a one night stay. I am an old-time fan of Equatorial but decided to try Holiday Inn after reading some good reviews.

Holiday Inn is definitely newer with fresh, modern deco. Nice view of the sea from one side of the hotel. Rather quiet too if you are on the higher floors. Driving up, parking and check-in was a breeze.

The room did not disappoint. Nice modern deco with new fittings. LCD tv. king size bed. bathrobe + slippers. Ironing board + iron. No bathtubs - just a shower with a rain attachment. Hot and good pressure.

However, there are little bits which bother me. Like the hard mattress, white (more grey) linen which is clean but still stained and stiff with repeated washing, grey and stiff towels, the fact that request for ice is RM4.

The pool area is small but lovely to sit there facing the sunset. The pools are small, rectangular and functional. Defnitely not the size of Equatorial

Breakfast spread is so so. I cannot shake the feeling that they are cutting corners, especially in terms of the quality of the spread. Not much choice nor joy.

To access the shopping centres, you have to cross a rather busy dual carriage-way. Melaka is not very pedestrian friendly so watch out when commuting by foot to the hotel.

I came to the conclusion that Holiday Inn is adequate for business travellers but I would opt for the Equatorial next time for the accessibilty and the extras, which comes at the same price as HI.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank x571
Reviewed September 27, 2008

I booked this trip with my extended family and also as a present for my lovely grandma. :)

We booked through a travel agent as they provide return coach and hotel for only S$151 (two days, one night) inclusive of breakfast. (Luxury Tour, Singapore @ Le Meridian Hotel).
As we have an entourage of about 8 pax, the coach dropped us off at directly @ the Holiday Inn Melaka instead of its usual stop at Hotel Equatorial.

The check-in was slow, but my request for connecting rooms was aceded to and we had a great view of the Melaka Straits.

THe pool looked great from my room but i didn't manage to take a dip at all as there was much to do and eat in Malacca.

THe service was great - the bellhop offered to drop me and my family off at a nearby eating place as he commented that the weather was really hot. We tipped him a little for his great initiative and kind offer. I also managed to arrange with him to pick up my grandma and aunties after their meal so that the elderly folks won't have to cross the busy expressway from the other side of the hotel.

Location wise, it's near to 2 malls but shopping scene isn't exciting. Food is great in Melaka! Do eat at the Old Newton Foodcourt and check out the many perankan food that's served in Melaka.
I love the room ~ it was indeed a great price for the kind of quality that i am getting. Point to note - if you want to earn hotel night stays points - u can't book thru an agent but directly with the hotel. If you book directly with the hotel, the prices tend to be a tad higher than if you book thru an agent.

I plan to return to the Holiday Inn Melaka soon ~ :)

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled with family