“excellence”

Holiday Inn Melaka
Ranked #8 of 166 Hotels in Melaka
“excellence”
Reviewed September 21, 2013

I stay very often at Holiday Inn Melaka for Business and the service is always excellent.
the hotel is very clean and location is good. Amenities are comfortable. Restaurants are good. Price is very reasonable.
An excellent choice for bith Business and Leisures travels.

The staff is very efficient.

A very special mention for Meiryani for her usual kind availability.

Room Tip: ask for rooms facing the sea
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (456)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Zulte
Reviewed September 21, 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights and did not spend a lot of time at the hotel as we wanted to enjoy walking around in Melaka. The location off the hotel is ok and is only 10min walk away from the city centre. If you don't want to walk there is also a free shuttle that takes you to the centre but only at defined times during the day.

You can find two shopping malls close to the hotel.

Rooms are good and clean, with clean bathrooms and towels.

Breakfast buffet was reasonably good for a reasonable price. Kids are allowed to eat free with Adults.

There is good sized swimming pool with a free towel service.
Wifi connection was included and speed was workable.

Staff was friendly and service was good. I would say value for money.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed September 17, 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights over the last weekend. The lobby was welcoming and the rooms were nice too. Even though we had specified our requirement for King sized beds, we were told upon checkin that only twins were available. However, after a bit of discussions amongst the reception staff, they managed to give us what we wanted. We got sea view rooms which were good as well. But once the construction is completed , then I doubt if the view from the sea facing rooms would be as good or pleasant to look out of.
The service was also good and we got whatever we asked for without reminders.

The only drawback was the bar in the lobby, named Sirocco Bar. It didnt have a bar like feel or vibe to the place. We went there for a few drinks at around 10 pm and had to wait for a long time after we placed out orders. We could see that the bar staff were busy making coffee, tea and other chocolate based drinks. The nuts that came along with our drinks were sweet and they did not have any alternative.
I guess the hotel can work a little on the bar and the service there.

We availed of the shuttle bus to Mahkota as well as the clock tower which is quite good. But in case, one can walk for 10-12 mins, I would recommend to walk down to the destinations rather than taking the bus as the bus gets stuck in the insane snail crawling traffic. So its either a 10 mins walk or a 30-40 mins drive.

Room Tip: Go for higher floors which face the sea
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Akash78
Reviewed September 16, 2013

We stayed in Holiday Inn Melaka this month from the 12th to 14th September. After much consideration between Holiday Inn and Hattens, we decided on the former. As there were 10 of us, we booked 4 rooms. Although I had booked the hotel through Agoda and had specified certain requirements (1 room with King bed and rollover bed etc) during the booking itself, I decided to call the hotel few days before the trip to ensure that all was good. Firstly I had to call because it was not easy to get the email address of the person in charge and after trying very hard, I gave up and called instead!.

I explained to the person on the phone that it was a big group and that we would like a high floor, with a sea view. He could not tell me straightaway whether such a arrangement was possible but instead just said that he would note it down! That was the start of bad service!

When we reached there, the hotel did not offer any welcome drink or snack to us (they only had that for the people who were checking in on Saturday!!! I had to repeat my request (for the 3rd time) and the receptionist told me she can give me sea facing rooms but in different levels! And for me to even get that rooms, I had to wait because they were not ready!!! At that point, the time was already 3pm and the actual checking in is actually at 2pm! No apologies or late checkouts were offered at that point. However, we did not want to spoil our holiday by getting upset so proceeded to lunch. When we came back at 6pm, the rooms were ready.

We liked the rooms very much. Very clean and had a beautiful smell, goodos to the cleaners!!! However, I realized that although the receptionist agreed to give me a King bed and a rollaway bed, it was not the case. The room only had a queen bed! WE decided to just do without the King bed but called to ask for a rollaway bed. Calling them and getting what we wanted was another challenge, my call was transferred thrice before I could get the "right" person. But upon speaking to him, the bed came quite fast, I wondered what the receptionist was doing for such a long time!

The following night, we wanted to visit Jonker Street. Thus, I approached the receptionist asking her whether shuttle was available from 8-10pm for 10 people. She told me that she needed to check and called someone. After that she told me that it was possible. As planned we went to jonker in the shuttle. Before alighting, my cousin reminded the driver that we will be here waiting at 10pm and he said he will be there. At 10pm, the shuttle came and we got on it feeling tired and hungry (we wanted to eat somewhere else recommended by a friend). However, just then, another family came and said that they too had booked the shuttle but there was no place for them. The driver started talking to them and made a few calls. After that, he just sat on the steps chatting with the other family in a relaxed manner. Here we were in the bus, sitting and waiting for the bus to take off, not knowing what was happening. After about 20minutes, my cousin was so angry and went to ask what was happening. He told us that he was waiting for a second bus to come and take the family and he had to be there because the other driver did no know the way!!! We told him that the kids were hungry and told him to drop us asap. Even then, it took him another 10 mins to decide to drive us off to the hotel.

We complained to the front desk upon reaching the hotel and met with the hotel manager the next day. Instead of apologizing for all the inconvenience we had to go through, she was questioning us whether we booked the shuttle in the first place! Only after we raised our voice and pointed out some lapse in the process did she came down to apologise. She offered us a late checkout at 3pm but we cleared the room before 2pm as we already have made other plans and so we really did not need the late checkout!

Frankly, we expected a genuine apology and any honest offers after that would have been more appreciated. Instead we had to waste about an hour or two of our holiday arguing with the hotel manager who was clearly not equipped with the necessary management skills in handling matters well. This incident made us upset and if you ask me whether I would recommend Holiday Inn to my friends...for now it is a NO.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank bellemind
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Melaka, responded to this review, October 1, 2013
Dear bellemind,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our property. Your satisfaction is important to us and we try hard to make sure all of our guests have a rewarding experience at our hotel. We are pleased you found our hotel nice. It is regrettable you were not satisfied with the service you received. Please remain assured that we have recorded your comments and will forward it to the appropriate departments for review and future considerations.

Once again, thank you for your thoughtful comments. We hope to have another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Karen C
Case Manager
IHGCare
Reviewed September 16, 2013

Short story: Hotel is one of the best we can find in the area for that price. Highly recommended. Just keep in mind that Melaka is not a "family vacation town".

Long story: I stayed for 3 nights with my family. There are three things I would highlight over everything else: Great condition of the hotel (probably newly constructed/renovated); very good hospitality of friendly staff; and excellent buffet (breakfast and dinner).

I had a bad experience in another Holiday Inn in Malaysia before; therefore I was cautious. I picked a sea-view room, which was a good choice. Very good lighting, which makes you feel just spending time in the room.

Towels & sheets were very clean, which showed their commitment to keep things neat.

Breakfast buffet was reasonably good for the reasonable price. Children are allowed to eat free with Adults. Dinner buffet was excellent - so many choices. There are two restaurants but we always picked the one that had local food choices. Even during buffet, they allowed to order from the menu - for small eaters.

Swimming pool is not very big but adequate. Max depth is 1.5m. My small daughter (9) loved it. There was a hot-bath for men, and sauna for women - free of charge. My wife and elder daughter loved it.

There was complimentary Internet access by LAN cable and WiFi. LAN cable worked ok, but wireless reception was very weak. Not good enough for any serious work.

Not much activities for Kids. Only swimming pool and Disney Junior on TV.

There were two shopping malls close by (waking distance). One is high-end, and other is for cheap-shopping. Both were good.

Melaka doesn't offer much unless you are 'history-lover' (which I wasn't). So, we spend most of the time in the room, which was ok (relaxing enough).

Room Tip: Pick a see-view room.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Subang Jaya, Malaysia
Reviewed September 16, 2013

Checked in on 15th September for the long weekend for a night's stay. We have requested for side-by-side rooms in advance but they could not guarantee it (even if we called in advance?!).

Anyway, when we arrived since we have requested for side-by-side rooms our rooms were not ready (we have arrived after 330pm) and we were asked to wait for 45 mins for them to prepare the rooms but in the end we couldn't wait as we were rushing to go out so we were placed in two separate rooms but on the same floor.

The rooms were comfy, and tastefully designed. Beds were somewhat great too, with 2 pillows - a firm and a soft one on the bed. Basic toiletries were provided (standard) with some tea and coffee sachets. The shower was alright, but nothing to shout about.

The hotel have an outdoor infinity pool on the third floor and guest may also decide to venture into the steam room, sauna and slightly heated mild jacuzzi within the spa (free entrance).

The hotel is popular with families with kids, so if you are seeking for some quiet time by the pool etc you may not get it here. One more concern is that even on the high floor, the noise coming from the main road (our room was the Melaka view) can be a little unnerving to light sleepers - but by drawing the thick curtains it may reduce the noise by some factor.

No comments on breakfast - our room rate didn't come with it (it hindsight at the price we paid, it should :) )

WIFI TIP: Free wifi at lobby (as informed by the Front Desk) but if you enroll into their loyalty program then you may get free wifi in your room :) The receptionist might not mention about this benefit in order to upsell the room wifi.

Room Tip: Higher floors may help to reduce the noise from the traffic at the mainroad for rooms facing the Mel...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank youngwolf2k
Ashburton, New Zealand
Reviewed September 15, 2013

We stayed here last week and from the friendly efficient check in right through the whole 2days we had superb service. Irene on the front desk was particularly helpful and greeted us warmly each time she saw us. The shuttle service was a big plus and the food at both restaurants was of a high standard. It is worth becoming an IHG member for free wifi and late checkout. We had a Straits view room which was fantastic. We were 15 stories up and we also heard the loud music until the early hours. It wasn't too bad from where we were but I can imagine it would not be fun at a lower story. Thank you to all the staff who made our stay so pleasant.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple