“Very good for local standard.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Holiday Inn Melaka

Holiday Inn Melaka
Ranked #7 of 167 Hotels in Melaka
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Very good for local standard.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2013

1)Hotel itself is situated on a reclaimed land. I had the ocean view rooms which was great , long as you keep looking afar and not down. I was told that more hotels will be built on the reclaimed land - a little saddening to me because Melaka is a small town, it is losing the tranquility and colonial charm it once had with the influx of concrete building (hotels w shopping mall).

2)Breakfast spread was ok, nothing memorable.

3) Excellent staff. Very helpful and warm!

Here's a more detailed encounter about my check-in experience:

We drove from KL, with my partners' parents visiting from Australia. I recieved a call around 12.30pm from the hotel asking what time they can expect us which i answered 2pm and if there is any problem. They assured me that my rooms will be ready upon my arrival.

At 1.50pm, we reached and checked in, we were informed that there were only one of our rooms available. I wasn't very please because of the tele-conversation I had with them at 12.30pm. I know it is a bad pet peeve of mine but having been in the service industry, I found it unacceptable to call to confirm a guest's time of arrival but not being able to deliver. When I asked about the call and the reassurance I get, I was told by one of the guest relations officer that 'we have already upgraded your room to begin with...'.

Anyway long story short, there is service recovery offered. Other than the silly remark by that single staff member, service has been great. The green tea with honey & cupcakes were a very nice touch.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank liz_t83

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (436)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2013

We are a family of 5 and because my parents were visiting from overseas we decided to take them to Melaka for couple of nights. My husband and I had been to Melaka about 8 years ago and there wasn't much to see then so we didn't know what to expect this time around. However, we were pleasantly surprised as there are now more tourist things to do and we would definitely recommend Melaka to others.

When we checked in at Holiday Inn we were incorrectly given smokers rooms however the staff were very apologetic and moved us to non smoking rooms with my parents being upgraded to a seaview room.

The Hotel is very close to the major attractions and right opposite a shopping centre. What was really handy was the free shuttle service the hotel provides to the main tourist areas and this, long with shops across the road, meant we didn't have to get in our car during our stay. The Hotel also has an information counter and the staff provided a free map as well as giving advice on things to see and do. As we were planning to do the river cruise we were told to do it at sunset and that was excellent advice. The cruise is really lovely at nighttime and we all really enjoyed it.

We had also read about the Jonker St markets and whilst the products are not of a high standard it was fun to walk along with the many other people and experience the crowds, food, smells etc..

The hotel buffet breakfast is very impressive with plenty of choice of western and asian foods. They even had an expresso machine so we could get our morning coffee hit. We also enjoyed a meal in the hotel of pizza and pasta and whilst it wasn't cheap it was a good meal. Another place we ate at was a restaurant in Jonker st called Bistro Year 1673 and we were able to sit in the outside area. The food and ambience is really lovely.

I think we all agreed that we would come back to Holiday Inn Melaka as we had such a good time. Thank you for making our stay enjoyable.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Vergis5
Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2013

My family had a pleasant 2 nights stay here. Room was large and comfortable. Breakfast was quite good, but it gets crowded by about 9am, so be early to avoid the crowd.

Hotel location was good, very close to shopping and attractions. But getting to the malls on foot was a bit of a hassle and could be dangerous, if you have young kids, because of heavy traffic on the main road you need to cross. We took the free shuttle bus service, but it is rather infrequent.

This hotel is not particularly cheap by Malaysian standards. So overall, I think its just OK for the money. I might come back again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

Our family (3) first trip to Melaka recently (1 week stay) had the best hotel that made our holiday truly just relaxing and enjoying every day at this hotel. Though being Priority Club member, before booking this hotel, I did read a few reviews and was impressed with everyone gave 5 ticks highly rated this hotel for its service beside the beautiful facilities. We arrived a little earlier than the check in time, the staff, Farah was so kind inviting us to the Executive Club Lounge to enjoy the food and beverages (we didn't have lunch) while waiting for our room ready. We were looked after with such a first class service, making sure we are happy with everything. Then we were told that our room is ready at the Executive Floor, top 20th floor facing the strait view (upgraded for Platinum), Beautiful clean room with very comfortable beds. Besides all the daily free benefits such as enjoying wonderful food and drinks at the Club Lounge any time, the wifi, the spacious swimming pool, the jacuzzi, the sauna, the gym and even the table tennis for my husband and son to enjoy. Among many Holiday Inns and its chain hotels that we have been too, this hotel has the best team of staff from the concierge, nice staff at the reception, dining room, Club Lounge, shuttle driver, bar attendance etc. Everyone always gives us big smile, very polite and so attentive to us whenever seeing us and greeting us by name. This is the only hotel that we feel so "AT HOME", we know all the names of the staff because of their excellent caring service, like having a big family. When Ghani, staff at the Club Lounge, knew that my son will turn 21 on the day after our check out day, he was kind enough to check with the management team and the kitchen to prepare a cake to surprise my son on our last night stay. It was the highlight for my son, we were so touched. We felt so sad had to leave after a great week stay. The management team was often seen coming in at breakfast time in the dinning room and the Club Lounge, checking the quality of the food and services done around the hotel etc... Very impressive to see this, that we wish other hotels' management team would do. The staff spoke highly of the training they constantly receive, in order to make sure every guest feels 'at home'. Surely we all can say Melaka Holiday Inn was our great holiday home, making our first visit to Malacca worthwhile. After Malacca, we left Malaysia and went to our next stop at another Holiday Inn, the service there was nothing in compare to Melaka Holiday Inn. All the staff at Melaka Holiday Inn deserve medals. Farah: the indispensable girl who looked after us from arrival at the reception, every day of our 7 days stay, she worked hard both at the reception and at the Club Lounge covering for colleagues who can't come. Despite of working from 7am to 11pm, Farah and all the staff still smiling and so sweet to us. Congratulation to the Management Team, you are so blessed to have all the staff that so loyal, hard working and often going extra miles - always with their smiles. The best hotel staff and service, hard to find in many hotels worldwide.
They have served us exceptionally more than any hotels we have been through the years. We definitely will be coming back for our next holiday again.

Room Tip: The strait view is great, but the city view is also good. The hotel has all the view from every sid...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

Nice clean hotel with very comfy beds. Stayed on the club floor and they serve all day beverages and light snacks at the club lounge till 8 pm. Serve breakfast too at the club lounge which we really enjoyed the personal service and especially away from the breakfast crowd at the cafe. Recommended for family with children to book the club room. The spa is nice but remember to make advance booking as they are always fully booked during weekends or is either lack of therapist. Hotel guest enjoys 20% discountThe hotel is quite near the mall. But our challenge is crossing the busy road from hotel to the mall.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Bengaluru, India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2013

A pretty view indeed...was my first reaction. Comfortable bed and the Melaka straits beckoning for a dekko every morning. What I also loved was the infinity pool and the jacuzzi in the spa. Initially I had thought this hotel seems out of way in Melaka Raya, but it was such a short walk from Jonker Street, the Mahkota & Pahlawan malls and the numerous eateries all around, this was ever so convenient. Nice experience, no complaints!

Room Tip: The hotel provides hourly shuttles to the tourist spots in town!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Eric O, Assistant Marketing Communication Manager at Holiday Inn Melaka, responded to this review, January 22, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

We are grateful for your review.

My colleagues and I take and pride and joy in what we do and it is important for us to ensure that we look after each guest the walks through our doors. Thank you, thank you and thank you for sharing your views.

We hope your future travel plans will bring you back to Holiday Inn Melaka and we look forward to welcoming you in the near future.

Regards,
Eric Ong
Brisbane
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2013

Every aspect of my stay from start to finish was excellent. Upon arrival I was attended to by the brilliant Irene (equal to the best front office staff member I've ever encountered) and given an upgrade to a Club Room (as a Platinum Priority Club Rewards Member). The large, clean room was beautifully appointed with all of the amenities that one could ask for - huge comfortable bed with a choice of pillows, TV with an abundance of channels, in-room safe, bottled water, large bathroom (with an excellent shower) and the usual Holiday Inn toiletries. It was such a relaxing room that I extended my stay by a night only a few hours after arriving as I needed to unwind after a particularly busy past few months.

I chose a room overlooking Melaka city, far more interesting than overlooking the straits. I was on the second top floor and the scene from that floor commanded a great view over Melaka and to the hills beyond. I could discern almost no traffic noise at this height and I was able to watch those brief but menacing afternoon storms roll into town - it was quite a sight from the safety of my room.

Being in a Club Room meant that I was given two complimentary laundry items per day, complimentary tea, coffee and non-alcoholic drinks plus free Internet during my stay. An added bonus was the free evening cocktails and snacks at the Club Lounge. In fact, the volume and variety of food on offer meant that these snacks became a substitute for dinner. Breakfast was also available in the Club Lounge, and though it was more peaceful, I found that the busier and far greater choice of items at the es.sense restaurant to be a far superior eating experience. Breakfast was very good but I felt that the breakfast at the Holiday Inn in Glenmarie (near Kuala Lumpur) to be better.

The location of the hotel is adjacent to the waterfront and across the road from the Mahkota Parade shopping Mall, but one must navigate an at times busy road to reach it. I found that there was plenty of eating options here if I decided not to dine at the hotel. Further afield (approximately a 15 minute walk) is the Melaka Clock tower, and from there all manner of historical sites can be reached; I would strongly recommend walking along the river at dusk. A semi-regular shuttle drives people and from this clock tower, so if one doesn't wish to walk, this option is available.

I used the hotel taxi to the reach the train station for my journey to the north of the country. This was one of very few negative points of my stay, it is not a good practice to have a driver talk on his mobile/cell phone for periods whilst driving, and the speed of the vehicle at many times was excessive - even by Malaysian standards. Another suggestion for improvement was that the key card to my floor and room proved to be a bit temperamental, but I was still able to manage.

Staff were overall excellent - attentive, very friendly and ever so helpful. However, Holiday Inn suffers from a problem sighted elsewhere within its chain in Malaysia, where staff 'solicit' guests to write positive comments about them on the feedback form. This occurred at the es.sence restaurant - I know it is a minor gripe, but I do find this behaviour annoying.

Overall, this was a fantastic experience - I would have stayed longer had other destinations not beckoned me. Melaka is a lovely historical town with plenty to offer, and the Holiday Inn is an excellent base from which to explore the town. I will certainly return.

Room Tip: City views provide a more interesting view.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your recent experience at the Holiday Inn Melaka. We are grateful for your kind words.

Please do not take the event at 'es.sense kitchen' to heart. Our intentions are noble as we are seeking for guest feedback in order to manage a responsible and successful business. We cannot get there on our own, we need you (our valued guest) on this journey.

For your info, we do not have taxi but will only use the city taxis upon request by guests. We will definitely share your feedback with local taxi association. However, this is not an excuse and we are sorry for putting you through this un-due stress.

We hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Regards,