“great value”

Ranked #76 of 166 Hotels in Melaka
australia
“great value”
Reviewed July 23, 2014

stayed in the standard room which was rather small, but it was clean and a good price. the hotel is about 15 minutes from jonker street on foot and there are also lots of restaurants and cafes very close by. the hotel staff are very friendly and nice and can recommend good places to eat, you can hire bicycles too, but we never did. everything was walking distance for us and also the bus (number 17) is cheap and easy to catch, it goes all around the touristy areas, hotels and to and from melaka sentral, all you have to do it wave it down and it will stop for you, no need to go to any bus stops.
the only problem we had with the hotel was ants, they made their way into my backpack even though i didnt have or ever had any food in there! but besides that the hotel is a great option for budget travellers.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank livingdolldisaster

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
  • Korean first
Utrecht, The Netherlands
Reviewed June 27, 2014 via mobile

We stayed for 4 nights in this hotel. For the money we have paid, we think it isnt worth it. Its an half hour walk to the city centre or you will have to take a bus that stops in front of the building. That bus also goes to the busstation. The rooms are extremely small. The bed had dirty sheets and also the towels had stains. Without notice you get a room without windows and we couldnt change because it was fully booked. They've good tv's in the room with good signal. The showers are really basic and the heater was leaking everywhere, making the bathroom one big mess. Weird enough they dont serve breakfast and its quite a walk to find some. The building had no elevator and with our heavy bags, we were not happy.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Melaka hotels

Reviewed June 26, 2014

I have nothing much to talk about the room because I have never stayed at this hotel before. However, I would like to share my TERRIBLE experience of making room reservation through phone call.

In the mid of March, I accidentally found this hotel online and I was surprised to find its room rates cheap! After browsing for other budget hotels in Melaka and comparing them, I decided to make a booking under this hotel mainly because of their low room rate but high rating in Tripadvisor.

On 20th of March, I made a call to the hotel and booked a Standard Queen for 3 nights, with the rate of RM90, RM70 and RM70 for each night. During the conversation with the staff, I reminded him twice that the booking period was actually public holidays - Hari Raya, and yet I was confirmed with the rates by him with confidence.

On 18th of April, I made a second call to the hotel to double check my booking. I was satisfied with the confirmation of the booking and its room rate.

At the end of May, I made a third call to the hotel, thinking of changing my booking to a bigger room: Superior Queen. To my surprise, my booking was no longer there! Never mind. Just make a new booking. After double confirming the room rate with the staff, I booked Superior Queen for 3 nights at a rate of RM110, RM90 and RM90 per night. Before ending the conversation, I asked for confirmation again of my booking and I was confirmed that the room has already been reserved for me.

On 26th of June, when I was browsing Al-33 Hotel's official website, hoping to find more photos for their Superior Queen, I found the room rates different. Immediately, I made a call to the
hotel to check if there's any changes to the rate of my earlier booking. To my shock and surprise, my booking couldn't be found again. You know what? It disappeared again! Even worse is when I placed a new booking again, I was told that the room rate for Superior Queen had been increased to RM120, RM100 and RM100. I explained to the staff (Miss Mas) the whole story, trying to fight back the previously offered room rate but I was told to wait for her to call me back as she had to double confirm with her superior. The same day, in the evening, I received her call and I was told that the rate is now RM130 per night. I was totally speechless as there is an increased rate of RM100 for 3 nights stay, from RM290 to RM320 and finally to RM390!

In overall, the hotel is very disappointing. The reason is that they can simply change their room rates at any time multiple times, and the changes affect all bookings, regardless of whether the rooms are booked before or after the changes. I just realized that there is such as statement under their Terms & Conditions: All rates are subject to change without prior notice, meaning that they do have the right to do so. However, as a result of this, even their own staffs have different understanding of the room rates. More importantly, room booking through phone call is not reliable AT ALL because their confirmation is OFTEN unconfirmed and the room rates offered to guests could be different from the amount they are supposed to pay.

I travelled very often in the past few months. I understand how tiring it could be after driving for several hours. Therefore, I would not recommend this hotel to people like me because I'm afraid of after driving several hundred kilometers away from my home to a place that I'm not familiar with, and when I'm about to check in a hotel happily with a confirmed reservation, 2 things might happen: 1) I'm asked to pay extra rental, and it is either to pay or to leave, or 2) I'm told that my reservation cannot be found and unfortunately the hotel is fully booked; feeling frustrated and extremely tired and yet I have no choice but to randomly search for a nearby hotel immediately, which could possibly be a badly rated hotel, ends up spoiling my entire trip!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
5 Thank Sean442014
Sydney
Reviewed June 24, 2014

When I first arrived at the hotel, I was hot, dusty and thoroughly miserable but I have no one to blame but myself for not investigating thoroughly the whereabout of this hotel and that it is serviced by bus 17 which will drop you off almost right infront of it's door.

I then moaned that it was too far to Jonker Walk but after awhile, I started appreciating the location of this place. The walk to Jonker is pleasant, a gentle 15 to 20 minutes stroll. Along the way, you get to check out the neighbourhood. What I gradually came to appreciate is the fact that not only is it away from the main touristy area, but you get to eat great nonya food at local prices, and not tourist price. True, the standard room is a bit cramped but hey, what do you expect for the asking price! If you want spaciousness, pay for an upgrade. If you want luxury, go and check in at the 4star hotels. Honestly, some of the reviewers here are so unreasonable, they want five star service but can only afford to shell out one star price.

"A Holding Cell"! I bet you were too mean to pay for an upgrade and too cheap to check into 4 star hotels. I thoroughly recommend this place and would definitely stay here when I return to Malacca. Remember to check out the neighbouring kopitiam for some delicious tucker and nonya food. Speak to the staff if you want to eat some fine Malaysian food and stay away from the restaurants in Jonker Walk. The best nonya food is definitely not from there.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room. I stayed in 106 and it is perfectly fine.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
3 Thank Cupert
Reviewed June 22, 2014

It is a shop lots budget hotel. The room is a bit small but it would be not a problem of you ate looking for a place just to rest and sleep. It is near to city center but you would need a car to access to jonker walk. Room cleanliness is satisfactory but sounf proofing is a bit lacking. You would get disturbed of your neighbouring rooms' residents are not considerate type of people.

• Stayed April 2014
Reviewed June 14, 2014

I stayed for one night but no more. Hotel very noisy... I couldn't sleep the whole night because people were very noisy to get their rooms.
And we spent the most expensive room because no normal room available to end in a small one without window.
The location is too far from city center.
Not the best place to stay in Malacca.

• Stayed June 2014
Singapore
Reviewed June 13, 2014

Upon checking in, I was taken in by the simplicity and the sparse amenities the room has, perfect for over-the-weekend staycation. If you intend to check in, drop your luggage and do not intend to stay in the room very much, and only need it for sleeping then I think this arrangement would meet your need to a T. However, if you need to chill in the room, read and just while your time away, then I suggest you should book either Family Room or other larger rooms with window. Superior Twin Room is just a square without any window. The room was awfully tiny and it feels like a holding cell.

It doesn’t have a safe too, so you need to lug most of your valuables with you. And, you should already know by now that Malaysia is not necessarily the safest place on earth.

Location is not too bad, however, if you are walking back to the hotel late at night, it can be a little creepy, it’s rather dark and quiet. Other than that, it’s quite a good respite from the buzz. It has got convenience store a few doors away, a lot of coffee shops and restaurant. So, you will never go hungry. The coffees shops usually open into the night…so if you need a bite in the ungodly hours, be sure, you will never go hungry.

Also, the hotel provides bottled waters every day, and there’s a dispenser on the ground floor where you can get hot waters and the like. Like I said, this is purely for nomads.

I wouldn’t say I love this hotel very much, neither do I hate it a lot. It’s just a different concept from the hotels/hostels that I am used to. My only grouse though is the thin wall between the room and corridor. So if anyone trampled outside, it echoes through the room. If you are a light sleeper, bring a pair of ear plugs. Otherwise, be ready to be awaken every few mins/hours some walks outside your room or up and down the stairs. Or worst, talk outside your room!

Room Tip: Bring a pair of ear plugs if you are a light sleeper.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends