“"Selamat Datang ke Jonkerdee"”
Review of Jonkerdee Hostel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Melaka
Jonkerdee Hostel
Ranked #10 of 147 Specialty Lodging in Melaka
Reviewed April 8, 2014

"Welcome To Jonkerdee" is one of the signs greeting you from inside the pristine corridors of Jonkerdee Hostel.
"Welcome To Malaysia" is another sign that also greets you.

What do you picture when you think of Malaysia?

If you have read the travel brochures, you will imagine a land of beaches and coconut palms, sands as fine as flour, lost idyllic islands, fabulous coral reefs, and lots more.

If,on the other hand, you pored over the pages of Somerset Maugham's short stories, you will imagine colonial bungalows set in the heart of a tea or rubber plantation, with tea served on the verandah by a young Malay boy, while the Indian 'punkah wallah' moves the fan into action to keep the 'orang putih' (white man) cool in the heat of the tropics,

Or if you have peeked between the covers of naturalist Alfred Russell Wallace's Malay Archipelago, you will see ancient jungles, screaming with monkeys,brimming with butterflies, and hiding legendary animals such as the famed most intelligent of primates ( next to man), the orang-utan. That's a brief insight into Malaysia!

What do you picture when you think of Jonkerdee?

If you had read the reviews, you will imagine a great and beautiful hostel, likened to a great and beautiful woman, cool and unruffled. accomplished in her own right with a strong presence yet quietly self assured and confident speaking volumes without saying a word. This chic, elegant and fascinating "accommodation provider" is the ultimate personal statement to a hostel for which originality and spirit is a way of life.

The reviews and pictures of Jonkerdee will add to your knowledge and enjoyment of this great hostel. Jonkerdee combines superb photography with entertaining insights and informative text written on palm leaves mats (mengkuang weaving), utilising the impressive talents and bestowed gifts of the expert who in this sense is the owner, Andre, himself.

Jonkerdee hostel will help make your stay ( as it did mine ) a memorable one. In Jonkerdee you will find yourself in many incongruously different scenarios. There's so much to fathom here with every room, nook and corner projecting something fascinating.

The accounts given by the many reviewers are not contradictory, indeed you will find aspects of all this visions of multi-cultural Malaysia in this great hostel.
But what you will find is also much much more. I did when I stayed here and enjoyed the best of hospitality in every way. Expect some surprises!
That was a brief insight into Jonkerdee!

Room Tip: The room ( not dorm) at the end of the hall, with the single beds is cool and I personally liked the...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
11  Thank Xelcius
Jonkerdee, Owner at Jonkerdee Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded June 14, 2014

Hello Xelcius!
That was brilliant of you to echo, endorse and paraphrase the "What do you picture when you think of Malaysia" signboard, that I have at my Hostel, written by my own handwriting on woven mats.
Come to think of it, I should have used it on my website!
Perhaps it's better when it's read on TripAdvisor as a reviewer's point of view highlighting a message from within an establishment.

Your description of Jonkerdee :-

"This chic, elegant and fascinating 'accommodation provider' is the ultimate personal statement to a Hostel for which originality and spirit is a way of life"

You might be pleased and thrilled to know that it has already been impressed upon and quoted a second time ( with reference to your review) by another recent reviewer of Jonkerdee.
Thanks for your support and praise of Jonkerdee Hostel!

Reviewed February 16, 2014

If a picture could paint a thousand words then let these pictures I've taken (with the permission of the Hostel Owner, Andre) speak for themselves. However I am compelled, for it's the least That I can do for this Magnificent Hostel and it's Magnificent Host to also be generous with words spoken from my heart. (I intended to stay only 2 nights but but because of the excellent Hospitality/service, rendered, I decided to stay for 5 Days)
The Hostel well here goes : By day you are struck and stunned by what you see like scenes from the "set' of a Movie House befitting that perhaps of a sequel of AVATAR 2 in Cinema scope.Then as dusk/evening dawns or approaches the Hostel is transformed making it AVATAR 2 in 3 D ( 3 Dimension)Tthe transition isfrom Day to Night is mesmerising like seeing through a different spectrum making it almost "paradise" like with all the lights aglow.

Beautiful people discover beautiful things and Andre the Owner/Host has done just that with the Hostel. I learned that Andre is really famous in the Malacca Music Scene. He, I gathered from mixing around with some of the local people is a natural entertainer known for his dance moves and song rendition. It is said he is the best dancer in Malacca with some saying the best in Malaysia.
At jonker Walk at the junction where Ringo's Bar and Geographer's Bar converge with a hoist of other Hot Music Scenes stretched along a particular street, Andre (Jon Kerdee) is an icon and a celebrity to be reckoned with drawing in droves of crowds/ people, some of whom gather across the street to watch him dance (and sing) with "gusto" and "power packed" action and moves.
Andre does this voluntarily and from the goodness of his heart. He was quoted and known to say " I just love to spread Joy and Happiness all around and that's why I do this where and when I can"
Yet! you wouldn't hear a "quip" from him about his 'Celebrity" status. That's how humble and modest he is about the whole affair. When I mentioned about his popularity at Jonker Walk music scene, he just brushed it aside saying " I'm just a simple ordinary guy, I'm not great, God is"
I had the greatest time staying there. Everything is within reach. Good location with lots of different ethnic food selection around nearby. There's an Internet next door, a mini market, 24 store, laundry ,etc,etc and Jonker Walk is only a 2 minute walk away.
The Hostel has a kitchen with everything you need in it.However who needs to cook with all the restaurants around there!!!. There are bicycles for rent from this hostel, free luggage storage and even a First aid kit For Emergencies.
The Toilets are the most creatively decorated and very very clean. As an incentive, there are no Staff milling or loitering around (which is a bonus if you ask me)
And get this people, amazing but true, NO Mosquitoes through out the 5 nights I stayed there!!!!! Andre is always around on demand for any assistance or service.
It may be a small Hostel but with a BIG HEART just like the Host, Andre. He too has a big heart.
Very Homy and Cosy and one of the best place to stay In Historical Malacca.
BRAVO and KUDOS to Andre and Jnkerdee Hostel.
Long after you've left this Hostel it's beautiful hostel and all the plus points that comes along from staying in this Magnificent Hostel will still linger on in your mind for a long long time.

Room Tip: Every room and dorm is an excellent choice. Couples would be thrilled with the Garden Of Eden Bedroo...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
15  Thank rawlson
Jonkerdee, Owner at Jonkerdee Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded June 13, 2014

Hi Rawlson!
I'd like to thank you for your generous words heaped upon Jonkerdee Hostel and her owner/host, Andre (that's me)! It pleases me to know that you had the greatest time staying at Jonkerdee.
I'd like it to be known that you've also been a wonderful guest of mine whose memories still linger on in my mind!
All the best to you and your endeavours, too.
Andre.

Reviewed February 5, 2014

One of the most excellent and warmest of welcome ever experienced staying in a Hostel.The best of all is the care the host, Andre, generously imparts to all his Guests makes you feel most comfortable and most welcomed. So unexpected and rare indeed to find this unexpected place ( without a map or a guide book).
The Hostel is a credit to the Historic City of Malacca. Infact it is a distinguished and outstanding establishment, The hostel may be small with only 7 rooms including dormitories but it is large in "Character" and has a "Class" unique of it's own style.
Might also be one of the most friendliest ever,though I'm not much of a traveler and I've only just begun.
The place has Good vibes, is beautiful, artistic and "full of energy"
Excellent hospitality and excellent service by the host, Andre,

Room Tip: The 'Garden of Eden" room is superb for couples, very alluring and impressive, at an impecc...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
18  Thank Axlxia

Hello Axlxia,
This might come as a surprise, after all these months, to actually hear from me, now.
Still, better late than never!
You know what! - whatever forces that led and brought you to Jonkerdee Hostel, I'm only glad that it was worth your stay!
I trust by now, you would have done a little more "travelling" when the opportunity presented itself and I hope each and everyone of them brought you 'pleasant and memorable' experiences of your travels and stay.
It was great having you as one of my guests. I remember you just as I remember all of my other 'special' guests
Thanks for your review!

Reviewed January 21, 2014

Dear Andre,

We stayed in your hostel and we had a great time. It is clean, near the centre, next to some restaurants and we slept perfectly.

This hostel is like a small museum but you feel at home immediatly!

You have a great personality, keep up the good work.

All the best for the future.

Ciao Giuseppe & Chantal

Room Tip: Everything is neat and you can have your one space by closing the curtains around the bed.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
15  Thank Chantal T
Jonkerdee, Owner at Jonkerdee Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded June 15, 2014

Hi Eugenia!
Nothing pleases me more than (hoping) to be the great or perfect host. It's quite a daunting task to achieve, I should say, though not that impossible, if you're willing to work hard.
And if you and several of my other guests deem me as 'great host', that's only because you have all been 'great guests' of mine at Jonkerdee Hostel.
I'm glad you are also one of my guests who appreciates and admire my personal collection of antiques and curios, etc. It's been one of my deep rooted desires and ambition, since I was still at a very tender age, then. Now it's a passion. Much like my running of Jonkerdee Hostel as her Owner/Sole Proprietor. Thank you so much for your recommendation of Jonkerdee Hostel in your TripAdvisor Review.

Reviewed January 14, 2014

Great Place and great host! Really, guys, totally recommend. When you go inside the place it looks like a museum - the guy hast traveled all his life and collected awesome things from everywhere around the world, so he used all for decorations which he did himself.
Totally recommend!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
15  Thank Eugenia23689

Hi Giuseppe and Chantal!
Thank you for your review. I am honoured that you felt so much at home, immediately after you checked-in. Yes! I do recall us having a wonderful and great time. Just as much as you enjoyed my company, I derived as much pleasure in your company, too.
Remember the Jazz Nite we had!. That was awesome! You guys made heads turn as an attractive couple, an astonishing husband-and-wife team.
I hope you stay that way, too. Wishing you all the best!

Reviewed January 14, 2014

Jonkerdee Hostel is a very nice hostel in Malacca, Malaysia, with a trendy design that at the beginning scared us a little bit, because it is too too beautiful and in the same time very cheap!!!

It is very, very clean and Andre, the owner, is such a great host, that helped us with everything we needed.

If Andre sees this post, I would like to send him a huge hug! :)

Silvia

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
13  Thank SilviABC2014

Dear Silvia,
I couldn't let go of this opportunity to thank you, however late it may be!
Yours, was amongst the first of the reviews to appear on Jonkerdee Hostel's TripAdvisor Review Page.
You checked-in with two of your other friends whose names were Eugenia and Alexandra, respectively. Oh yes! I remember them and their names, too.You were all fine ladies of Romania!
I owe much of my gratitude to you. With your first ever review appearing on TripAdvisor - a whole chain of other reviews followed!. Your review was like "love at first sight". It leaves an indelible mark( favourable) on the personification of Jonkerdee Hostel.
I was only glad as your host of Jonkerdee to be able to help you with everything that you as a traveller needed to ensure your stay was not only 'comfortable and pleasant' within the confines of the hostel but also beyond where the larger "picture" is and that is getting around or finding your best "moments" and best "photographs" taken of the best of Malacca.
Thank you so much for being one of the first to respond with your review of Jonkerdee Hostel
Regards........., Andre