“Perfect Location”
Review of Heeren House

Heeren House
Ranked #31 of 168 Hotels in Melaka
Reviewed May 2, 2012

We have just stayed at Heeren House for two weekend nights. Because the guesthouse is at the end of the street next to the river most of the rooms have windows that open up onto views of the river. In Melaka rooms often have no windows at all due to the long thin shape of the houses. It was in a perfect position for exploring the Jonker street night markets and Chinatown.

Our room was small, just a large bed, small table, couple of chairs and a rack for the suitcase - nowhere to actually unpack, although there were a couple of coathangers on a hook on the wall. The bed was high and comfortable with a pretty quilt but the sheets and pillowcases were in need of a good wash in Napisan - they were grey and stained. The bathroom was also small and cramped with tiles missing in a large patch beside the toilet, but the hot water worked! We did have an electric jug with tea and coffee making packets.

Breakfast was included and buffet style - fruit juice, fresh fruit, eggs (fried or scrambled) with sausage, hashbrown and beans. But on our second morning we gave it a miss and hit the street for some roti channai - why eat what you can get at home when you're in Melaka?

I was annoyed that a surcharge of 20MR was applied to each night of our stay as it was a weekend - although this is a fairly standard practice in Melaka it was not mentioned on their website.

Our hosts Henri and Marcia were welcoming, friendly and, of course, knowledgeable about the area. After about 8pm the front door is locked and the security guard is on duty at the side door - we didn't bother waking him up when we came in at 8.30pm, we just helped ourselves to our room key and left him sleeping peacefully on the bench!

I would recommend this guesthouse for it's location, but when I'm in Melaka next visit I will try one of the other historical houses, there are so many to choose from.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jan j

Reviewed April 8, 2012

Stayed here few days ago on my one day one night trip to Malacca. Arrived around midnight, was a tiny bit struggling to find the entrance since the main entrance (front view) is closed after 7 PM. So went to side and since I saw a closed door as well, I walked pass by it. Apparently that door is the entrance after 7 PM. It doesn't have lighting nor sign to show that's the entrance. Anyway, I pushed the door and there was a guy who welcomed me. No smile or any nice welcoming gestures from him, could come across as pissed but I guess that's just his personality, which actually doesn't really matter to me. I booked the room online few hours before my arrival so registration was very simple and quick. I learned that the hotel will have the doors locked in the evening so I can't walk around to see the nightlife.

He brought me upstairs to my room which was located at the end of the corridor. A quite pleasant room actually. I like the furniture inside, very Peranakan. Bedsheets, pillow sheets and towel could use new ones, but they're clean. No bed bugs. (Whew) The mattress was quite nice. For a small 'hotel' like Heeren House, I'm quite surprised they pay attention to layered bedsheets. Not all hotel do that.

Next morning, went down for breakfast and greeted by Marcia and her husband. Very lovely and friendly. Very pleasant area for breakfast too. Breakfast was simple, usual but good. Nothing to complain. If you want Peranakan food, you can order during breakfast since the cafe is not open for lunch or dinner. Maybe it's the location next to river or the ambiance there, but I just felt very relaxed sitting down in the cafe area that morning.

Marcia's husband was very helpful in guiding what are the places to go to and how. They even helped to book a taxi in advance for me for later in the evening. I checked out after breakfast and left my bag at the reception before wandering around town. Heeren House is located right at the corner of the famous Tun Tan Cheng Lok street, next to Malacca River and in between two Malacca's main areas, Chinatown and Town Square, in other word it's perfect.

If you're looking for a quiet, charming place with a Peranakan flair in Malacca, I think Heeren House could be your option. Some other places located right at the hoo-ha area like Hotel Puri, Baba House or Courtyard at Heeren probably could offer the same but not the serenity Heeren House has.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank luminouzity
Reviewed February 13, 2012

My husband and I have always wanted to try Heeren House but never have the chance to do so until just recently. To find accommodation fit for 2 adults and 2 kids in 1 room is not that easy especially with a certain budget in mind.

The family room at Heeren House fits the bill. It is spacious for us, with a four poster bed, 2 single beds and a day bed which is strategically placed next to the window overlooking the Malacca River. The kids love the space and love lounging on the day bed watching tourists cruising the river.

There's a selection of DVDs suitable for family and a stack of interesting magazines in the room. Coffee, tea, sugar and cream in sachets are provided along side an electric kettle, DVD player and television. Just outside our room along the corridor, there's a cupboard filled with interesting books for reading.

Breakfast was not too bad with a plate of egg cooked any style you like, a slice of tomato, hash brown and baked beans. Bread, butter, jam and tropical fruits are provided as well besides coffee and tea.

I have read about some comments in tripadvisor saying that the owner, Marcia was an unpleasant lady but she didn't appear so to us. Right from the time we arrived, Marcia was helpful, friendly and pleasant. I enjoyed chatting with her. Her husband appeared to be a nice man as well and helpful.

There's also comments on bed bugs I read earlier on. I can't say surely if my daughter got bitten at Heeren House or the other 2 hotels we stayed right after Heeren House coz she only realized it 2 days after we left Heeren House and the doctor confirmed that it could be due to bed bugs or she could have gotten it while swimming in the pools at the other 2 hotels. Besides my daughter, none of us was affected.

What I like best about Heeren House is the strategic location. From the time we arrived, we parked the car at the paid car park area some 5 mins walk from Heeren (opposite Casa Del Rio) and went on foot everywhere. Malacca city can be very jam-packed with cars and the experience can be very frustrating so walking everywhere is the best thing to do. The famous Jonker Street is just around the corner, Asam Pedas Hajjah Mona is 5 minutes away on foot, Malacca River is just next door, what more can you ask for?

Room Tip: Request for rooms with windows that open up to the Malacca River.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank Nina-NF
Reviewed February 6, 2012

I took my parents and my brother who were visiting for Christmas from my home base of Hong Kong, to stayed here for four nights over New Years, 2011, we loved it! The location is excellent, in the edge of UNECO heritage area, and the whole guesthouse has a very welcoming atmosphere.

while we travel much of Asia we stay in local run guest houses and hotels, this gives more of a feel for what a country is like.

The decorations, the craft shop, the furniture and bedding were spotless. All of it was delightful, with an old world charm with touches of Ikea added. Although there are no curtains, it is plainly explained upon arrival, that there are old style shutters, which need to be closed by opening the window, simple really.

Service was excellent, with good suggestions for restaurants to try. Plus Henri and Marcia organised mini bus for both trips to and from the KL airport, which we paid for in cash to driver.

I agree with those who said the breakfast is the best to be found, not everyone is up for English breakfast in the tropics, however there is a choice of toast or cereals.

Bottom line is If you want a swimming pools, wall to wall carpet, constant wifi, multi national buffets, chandeliers, saunas, Jacuzzis, etc stay somewhere else!

This is a guest house not a hotel.

We definitely want to go back to Heeren House when we visit Malacca again!

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank GerardPHK
Reviewed January 28, 2012

Having read some of the previous postings about Hereen House (bed bugs, uncomfortable beds, hot water, toilet difficulties), I think that the owners may have read these reviews and fixed things.

I found the bed actually more comfortable than mine at home! Pretty bedspread, dreamy pillows, very comfortable mattress. I'm afraid to say I may have benefited from previous guests' discomfort...So, thanks! ;)

The AC is powerful (important in Asia is dry season!), the shower is powerful, clean, good breakfast. WiFi is offered but works infrequently. This was an inconvenience for someone working slash traveling.

The owners were helpful and kind. Friendly but not too friendly.

It is quite expensive, but not too much. It is in the centre of town, on the river. I can't think of a better location in Melaka.

Although not linked at all to this hotel, I would highly recommend The Baboon Cafe just down the road. Turn left out of the hotel and walk maybe 100 metres and it's on your left. I'm only sorry I found this little slice of heaven on my final morning. The best latte I've tasted in Asia, a jungle of plants in the garden...if a cafe makes you sit back and mentally steal ideas for your own house/garden, then it's doing something right!

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank sarahaliceparker
Reviewed January 1, 2012

This place is old and when I came, I was expecting the host to be friendly from all the reviews I'm reading in tripadvisor, but she's not, so I swallowed back my smiles. Location wise, it is really good, especially since I had the room with the river view. My room was quite big with 2 big beds and a smaller one, but you can see and feel that the sheets and furnitures are all old and not that clean.

Room Tip: They have a family room.
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed December 23, 2011

We had a terrible experience at this hotel and I would absolutely not recommend it. The bedsheets were stained, the shower room was very run down with a filthy shower curtain and worst of all the bed had bed bugs.

We spotted a bug in the bed on our final morning and after some google searching discovered that it was indeed bed bugs and the bed had all the other tell tale signs as well...so awful - we spent the following hour checking and rechecking all our stuff to make sure we didn't carry them on with us. We also had to do a full laundry as soon as we got to our next destination.

We informed the owner of the guesthouse as we were leaving and he didn't look shocked, he offered an apology but nothing else in the way of compensation.

The owner also walked in to the room without knocking during our stay. My husband had just stepped out of the shower. The incident was not acknowledged when we later went downstairs, no apology was offered even when we questioned why he had just walked into the room. We eventually received an acknowledgement that this should not have happened at breakfast the next morning.

My husband and I have been travelling around Asia for 6 weeks staying in similar priced accommodation and this was by far our worst experience.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple