“Great experience”
Review of Heeren House

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Melaka
Heeren House
Ranked #26 of 166 Hotels in Melaka
brisbane
“Great experience”
Reviewed December 29, 2007

I am shocked to see the content of the other reviews. Be it in the last few years herrenhouse has improved or I am easily pleased, but our stay there was fantastic. I agree with the lack of curtains however.
One thing that did strike me was that in the showers they have soup dispensers which arre environmentally friendly as in they only allow minial sqeeze each time and also it is quality and fragrant. The tea and coffee was superp as well as the breakfast (and service) the craft shop is a bit expensive , but nice to look at. The man on night duty was very helpful and provided me with drinks as I was ill. If I was not ill the experience would have been even more enjoyable. So two thumbs up to the heeren house from me.

Stayed December 2007
3 Thank bRAD009

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 10, 2007

The owners of this atmospheric little guest house were friendly throughout our stay, from the moment we phoned to book the room, to the day we departed. The location is great - just over the bridge from the main town square and near to all of the temples and Jonker Walk. Our twin room was on the ground floor, behind the kitchen. It was cute but a little cramped, especially in the bathroom. The wooden shuttered windows let in quite a lot of noise from outside. Try to get a room upstairs. The cooked breakfast was adequate but a little shrivelled.

• Stayed August 2007
2 Thank steakandalepie
auslaender, We are hosts of this guest house at Heeren House, responded to this review, November 17, 2007
Hello Dessert Ranger,
Thank you for your review of Heeren House, we appreciate your comments very much.
Hopefully we can offer you a room upstairs on your next visit to Melaka.
with best regards,
Liz & bernard
Holland
Reviewed September 14, 2007

Me and my girlfriend stayed last week in the Heeren House. We enjoyed the stay very much. The room was clean en nicely decorated, and de owners are very pleasant people. Breakfast is normal, but with brown bread available !!

I do not understand some of the reviews I read... It is like they deal with another hotel.... maybe some people confuse the ‘Heeren House’ with ‘Heeren Inn’ in the same street?

We especially liked the in-house crafts-shop... the shop with the most beautiful stuff we could find in Melaka... I wanted to buy everything... but my girlfriend didn't let me....

One small point of critic, but about something that goes for about 90% of hotels and guesthouses ... please renew shower-curtains more often (costs about nothing, since an Ikea is available in KL ;-) )

Greetings,
Dennis and Leonie (the Netherlands)

Stayed September 2007
London
Reviewed July 31, 2007

If you want to go to Melaka the main sights are within easy walking distance of Heeren House. Liz and Bernard Tan tell me that they previously ran a hotel in northern England and for the past few years have been in Melaka managing a shop selling local products. At the beginning of 2007 they took over Heeren House and have combined the two businesses - the attractive ground floor of this budget hotel is half a cafe and half a shop. On the minus side, my shower could have done with a scrub on the walls. On the plus side the room was otherwise clean, I enjoyed my stay and slept extremely well. Breakfast was good, so was the apple crumble in the cafe - a pleasure to find in Malaysia. The Tans were friendly and courteous hosts and I would recommend this hotel.

• Liked — Friendly hosts, good location, slept well, cafe
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
England
Reviewed May 8, 2007

We were also surprised about some of the negative reviews here, because we liked Heeren House. We too went on the back of the Lonely Planet review and a personal recommendation. It had a great location, was clean and comfortable and we thought the breakfast was fine for a small hotel. A previous review commented on the lack of curtains - well there aren't any because the windows have wooden shutters so they are quite private. We found the managers very helpful and friendly.

• Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Colin_Sue
London
Reviewed April 18, 2007

I too am surprised about some of the negative reviews here, because we had a lovely stay at Heeren House. It wasn't fancy, but nor was it expensive, and it gave us good accommodation in a central location, with a bit of charm. I think the management has changed recently, which may explain some of the variety of experience in past reviews. We too went on the back of the Lonely Planet review and weren't all disappointed. I accept breakfast isn't great, but frankly that's not the end of the world!

All in all, this was good value and we'd thoroughly recommend it. If you want 5 star luxury and all that goes with it, this isn't the place for you. But if you want something calmer and with character, then give it a try. I have to admit though there were times in the heat when we looked enviously at the hotels with swimming pools.....but you can get that elsewhere!

• Liked — Location and character
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank GELondon
Washington state
Reviewed April 8, 2007

I can't believe the bad experiences people have posted here! I found this place to be everything the guidebooks praised it for. Great central location, pretty river view, clean rooms, and the owners were really friendly.

Regarding the windows without blinds, we wondered about that, too, but we were told when shown the room that the outside shutters were closable for privacy. So not super ideal, but not as ridiculous as having to change for all the people on the river to see. :)

I thought breakfast was rather good. Pretty standard English breakfast... toast, eggs, beans, tomato, and maybe sausage, but I forget. And the eggs were actually GOOD, unlike some of the greasy monstrosities I've had in Asia that claim to be Western breakfasts. My hotel in KL had bread, a toaster, and fruit, and they claimed that was breakfast, so this was remarkable in comparison.

Maybe things have changed for the better, or it's also possible that my perspective is different because I'm used to hostels, not luxury hotels. But I'd definitely stay here again if I went back... if there was space! There was a "no vacancy" sign posted for my entire stay.

• Liked — location, atmosphere, friendly owners
  • Disliked — n/a
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank graycodekitty
auslaender, Innkeeper/Operator at Heeren House, responded to this review, May 28, 2007
Thank you very much for your kind evaluation and we can only try harder to provide appropriate services in terms of accomodation, F&B offers,and our experiences in the Hospitality industry.

We are very glad that you enjoyed your Melaka trip and that we are part of that trip.

Liz & Bernard Tan