“Good Hardware, Poor software”

Seri Costa Hotel-Resort
Ranked #74 of 166 Hotels in Melaka
Singapore
“Good Hardware, Poor software”
Reviewed December 26, 2006

Pro:
Relatively good location,
Relatively cheap,
Quite tastefully decorated

Cons:
Very poor breakfast,
Seemed short-handed - breakfast tables not cleared quickly,
Not thoroughly clean,
Irons & ironing boards (had to asked from House Keeping) in very poor condition, one didn't work,
House Keeping staff couldn't really speak English,
Safe in the room not working.

Will not stay there again.

• Stayed December 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank ah_zek

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
  • Indonesian first
Penang
Reviewed October 2, 2006

Ok, how do I start! Everything is bad the moment we step into the hotel, and seriously, I can't wait to check out the moment tomorrow's daylight come!

We reach there late, but we were greeted with a very discourteous receptionist who told us bluntly that we have cancelled our room. I told her no, we didn't,but she simply refuse to listen or negotiate and told us in order for us to stay, we have to pay an additional 20% extra for the room rate. I asked for the manager, he gave her the green light to proceed with our room, but she(by the name of Siti) simply was so unhappy (I do not know why, but i think it should be me who's suppose to be unhappy, right? ) and gave us the kind of look that shows "you owe me one million dollar!"

Secondly, about the room, it's dingy, that's ok for me though. However, the bath room tiles looks mouldy and worse of all, the bed sheet and the blanket, no matter which corner I check, seems to have blood stains, yeecchhh..........

I checked out early in the morning without even bothering to check out their breakfast. I find it's a real pity cos the interior and exterior does looks nice, but it's badly managed and maintained with bad attitude staff and lousy maintenance and cleaniness. Seriously, with the roomrate, I fully understand that I can't expect a three star service, but I really never expect a service of a one star motel though. In the end, I left with the feeling I had overpaid for the hotel.

• Liked — Exterior
  • Disliked — Cleanliness
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled with friends
4 Thank babybrand

Travelers are raving about these Melaka hotels

Cebu Island, Philippines
Reviewed September 1, 2006

Clean room; accessible to most historical sites and malls. Buffet breakfast may not be attractive to foreign tourist.

• Liked — clean
  • Disliked — food
  • Tips/Secrets — none
  • Stayed March 2006, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Newbury, Berkshire
Reviewed September 1, 2006

Good central location near the sea.

The room was clean and bright, and quite big, but no view. The staff were unfriendly and the buffet breakfast was poor.

It seemed to be a popular family hotel.

• Disliked — Stained sheets!
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Paul S
Reviewed August 28, 2006

We booked 2 family (4 beds each room) rooms for 1 night. One room was on the 3rd floor which was baking hot due to the hot weather and took very long for the aircon to cool it down. There is only 1 bathroom in the room.
Another room was on the 1st storey, which is much cooler and have 2 bathrooms.

Shower head are atrocious with only small jet of water trickling down, hot water seemed non-existent. Kettle don't work (called for another one but none came), lamps don't work, socket no power. Carpet feels dirty and can see some tiny pieces of rubbish on it. Breakfast spread very limited and they do not serve ala carte.

The only good thing is the firm mattress and 10 min walk to the mahkota parade. Parking is outside the hotel. Hotel will provide parking coupons for hotel guests.

I guess it's fine for just 1 night stay and we are out most of the day.

• Stayed July 2006, traveled with family
3 Thank Vicki_tan
Moscow
Reviewed March 14, 2006

Seri Costa is quite cheap but this issue together with deluxe room size - is the only advantage.
Hotel looks like an old dusty non-comfortable railway station and if Seri Costa is boutique hotel, then I am George W. Bush! Breakfast is difficult to eat, half of the staff hardly understands couple of words in English, situated in some quarter of ugly cheap dirty barracks.
Furthermore, Malacca - is absolutely time to loose for leisure/attractions tourist - there is nothing to do, just 2-3 old small Dutch buildings and it's ALL!

• Stayed March 2006
3 Thank Stas S
Reviewed June 26, 2005

I am amazingly surprised that there is such a nice and sweet hotel situated at the heart of Malacca with low rate. When I stepped into the hotel, the service was warmth. Each floor design was elegant. There was a small waiting area on each floor which near the lift, for us to sit down while waiting for friends or the lift to arrive.

The room was clean and the toilet was spacious.

It was an ideal location that situated near the Makotha Parade Shopping Centre (need not cross the road). It was surrounded with many eating outlets.

It was also a leisure walking distance to other tourist areas.

The breakfast buffet was ordinary.

The room service was prompt.

Unfortunately, we had water heater issues in our room, but they were not able to service it after several attempts. Finally, on our 2nd night, the hotel had decided to upgrade us to Deluxe room.

Overall, it was a nice and pleasant hotel with reasonable rate.

20 Thank SerinChng