“A Baba Nyonya Museum worth visiting if you are in Malacca!”

Straits Chinese Jewelry Museum Malacca
Ranked #2 of 137 things to do in Melaka
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Johor Bahru, Malaysia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“A Baba Nyonya Museum worth visiting if you are in Malacca!”
Reviewed July 5, 2014

I was doing a research on Chinese Peranakan culture, glad that the museum allowed us to take photographs on the displayed jewellery, furniture and interior of the museum. The manager and the guide was friendly and even allowed us to recharge our phone there. Not to mention that they explained to us the history of the Peranakan and the story behind every piece of Peranakan antique thoroughly. Recommended place for those culture-seekers!

6 Thank GeoSeeker1988

3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Informative history lesson”
Reviewed June 25, 2014 via mobile

I like it that they allowed photography in this museum so we can capture shots of things that we liked.

3 Thank Chinchiminie
Reykjavik, Iceland
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Beauty and nice jewellery”
Reviewed June 24, 2014

i can't belive with my eye, there are beauty and nice jewellery display in this museum. ont only the jewellery, downstairs display with antique baba nyonya furnitures. i was supprise that here is allow photography .

5 Thank jassica m
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Not sure why number 1 place to go”
Reviewed June 22, 2014

Interesting house with some great pieces to look at & I liked the fact you could take photo's. However I felt the guide was rushing the tour & could have given us some time to browse. The Baba-Nonya Heritage Museum tour was much better, taking twice the amount of time & they are both the same price (15MYR).

2 Thank Jackie A
Baltimore, Maryland
73 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 91 helpful votes
“There's no reason to rush”
Reviewed June 15, 2014

Since I love jewellry and the Straits Chinese Jewelry Musuem was highly regarded by other travellers, I just had to visit. I loved the jewellry and the other exhibits. All visits include a guided tour - usually a good thing, right? Unfortunately, my guide was trying to break the sound barrier in herding my group through the exhibits and out the door. We were not permitted to linger and absorb the beautiful things on display. I felt ripped off. The only reason I didn't give it one star was that the items on display were so beautiful, it would have been a shame to miss seeing them, however briefly.

1 Thank Karen R