“Ok not too bad”

Ranked #101 of 166 Hotels in Melaka
Sydney, Australia
“Ok not too bad”
Reviewed January 3, 2010

I stayed in Emperor hotel on 1st Jan 2010. It was me, my mom and hubby, so i asked for an extra bed in the room. The room was ok for sleeping purposes i.e. bed sheet, pillow etc were clean. Yes I agree the hotel is run down particulary the carpet and I saw some dirt on the shower curtains, but its ok, as they are not charging too high. We paid RM 215 for three person including breakfast. The breakfast had variety, but I would rate the tasteto be very basic, but then I did not have any high expectations either. If you are looking for a cheap accomodation, thats clean, but not really new, then you can choose this hotel. But if you are expecting new carpet, new furniture, well then let me tell you that they are amongst the oldest hotel in the town. One last thing, their location is good, just 10 minutes walk away from central places of attraction.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank CameronFan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
George Town, Malaysia
Reviewed December 22, 2009

1) Hotel was full of tour groups and it was a total chaos - hotel management couldn't handle it.
2) Had to queue for nearly an hour for breakfast because its was sooo crowded.
3) Had to queue for another 30 min plus to use the lift.
4) Toilet leaked and dirty. Toilet water dripped onto my head while I was at the sink !!
5) No one clean my room until after 3 pm.

I checkout immediately on the next day eventhough i booked a 2 day package.
It was a nightmare.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Melaka hotels

uk
Reviewed December 5, 2009

I stayed one night here as I couldn't get in to my other accommodation the first night I arrived in Melaka. I opted for this as I wanted a swimming pool and am travelling on a budget. I paid RM128 for the night, and for that money it was pretty good value really. I had to pay for 2 people, so for 2 people it would be even better value. As other reviewers have said the hotel is oh so very tired, not overly clean, the whole place stinks a bit of stale cigarette smoke, there was a stain on the cover of the bed, towels a bit threadbare, bathroom a bit manky and very dated. The room is fairly large. The bed was huge. The linen seemed clean. There is a GREAT view from the hotel. I was on floor 13. The swimming pool was clean and nice. You have to go and ask for towels and sun loungers. The pool attendant was very nice. Actually the pool towels are very thick and nicer than the general hotel towels. The location is reasonable - within walking distance of town, but there are better located options. Bear in mind that taxi's in Melaka are much much more expensive than elsewhere in Malaysia. 15 ringgit minimum, even within town. I had to move about 800m to my new accommodation and even that was going to be 15, so even though I had my luggage I walked. The breakfast was fine, although the coffee cold. There is free wifi in the lobby of the hotel, although they don't tell you that as they want you to buy food/drinks in the basement coffee house or the 123 meeting place next door. I was eaten alive by mosquito's when in the lobby though! Huge great bites all over my legs. I ate lunch at the meeting place and it was horrible, and an iced coffee which was nice but much more expensive than elsewhere. Accross the street is a hawker centre with some good food. It also has free wifi. There is no wifi in the rooms. I didn't find the staff particularly helpful - I had to ask about every single thing and some of the information given was just not correct. Overall - for the money I paid it was OK as I wanted a swimming pool. Otherwise I would say there are better options out there for sure.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed September 21, 2009

Through vigorous internet search, I took up the Family Holiday Package by Emperor Hotel on 18 to 20 Sep - 2 days at RM298 (RM149 per night). This tempting offer included daily buffet breakfast for three and RM28 meal voucher at Meeting Place 123 (hotel's restaurant). There was also a complimentary extra bed which was under the Superior room package.

Their location as indicated in their website (Find us on Google Map) - Jalan Bunga Raya Pantai (near Chinese temple) is wrong. It should be on the other side of Jalan Munshi Abdullah. Luckily, the GPS assisted us to find this elusive hotel.

Reputed to be the tallest building in Malacca, the location of the hotel is good. It is near to various amenities and within walking distance (20 mins) to the The stadthuy's and Jonker Street etc. The hotel staff were friendly and in particularly, Mike, though spoke with an effeminate tone, was patient and care enough to explain in details during booking-in registration. We were allocated a room on the 18th floor, hence, we were able to capture a bird's eye view of Malacca city. We experienced a high sense of security as the Security Officer in the hotel alerted us when we left our key poked in the key hole while we were in the room (not via card access).

Nevertheless, the hotel looks old as if my whole family was transported back in time to the 1970s. The rooms are carpeted (from my opinion it would be difficult to clean and rid of dirt and bacteria) and the furnishings are old. The complimentary extra bed offered to us (Superior room package) was of the iron-fold up like of the hospital bed type. The TV set is manually operated as there is no remote control. There is a sticker on the mirror inside the bathroom indicated that "to save the environment, we are changing the bed sheets and towels once in 2 days"! I guess to some cleanliness freak, this is totally unacceptable!!! We were the only souls who dipped ourselves in the swimming pool located on the 7th floor - the water looked clean but with a salty taste.

The breakfast was good - similar for both days of our stay though without much variety. On our 2nd day of breakfast, the orange juice was a little dilute presumably to "cater" to the "influx" of guests during the Hari Raya Puasa holiday period. As for our complimentary meal (via RM28 voucher) at the restaurant, it was good.

On the whole, I would say that it was value for money as I did not pay for the holiday sub-charge. Nonetheless, there are room for improvement in terms of cleanliness. Unless the hotel went through a major refurnishment, they would not see us the second time there. As for those who just want a night or two of stay (with budget constraint), I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
4 Thank LoVeUdEEpDeeP
Brisbane
Reviewed June 27, 2009

This hotel is old, the furnishings are old, everything is old & needs a complete refurbishment. Venetians have broken draw strings, the carpet is worn, the bath fittings are out of Rudyard Kipling, the windows haven't been cleaned in years, there's black mould in all the grout lines in the bathroom; its tired !!!! BUT its not expensive, its close to everything, breakfast is free & adequate, & the trump card is the staff; they couldn't do enough for us with help in shopping sightseeing & where to eat. Chinatown was full of interest & antiques I've never seen before. I'd stay here again knowing that the hotel is tired, cheap, & very friendly.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank KJ72
Reviewed June 4, 2009

I am totally disappointed Emperor hotel do not follow the agreed stated Hotel Cancellation policy by wanting to overcharge me.

Hotel Cancellation and Amendment Policy:
This property requires any cancellation or date change to be made at least 72 hours prior to the property's check in time to avoid forfeiting the full amount of the first changed or cancelled night.

My father passed aways on the date of check -in. I informed the hotel. But the hotel all insist still confirmed charged in full amount of 3 nights which informed by Ms. Winnie and Ms. Rainy, Hotel Sales Department. I never see a hotel which is so insensitive, non-compassion and worst of all, dishonest by not honor their own cancellation policy of charging the first night only.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed December 30, 2008

I stayed here for two nights in Dec 2008 in a single room. The room is spacious and clean but decor and equipments really need to be changed. My water boiler was not working properly but I did not mention to the management for fear that they will accused me of breaking it.
They also have this really huge TV remote that's not working as it should be.
I will not stay here again until the hotel gets a major makeover.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Age
  • Stayed December 2008
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)