“History, History, History”
Review of Chinatown - Melaka

Ranked #13 of 149 things to do in Melaka
More attraction details
Owner description: Mansions, temples and antique shops are packed into the narrow streets of the lively Chinatown district.
Reviewed October 19, 2013

Any time is a good time to visit but first thing in the morning is usually quietest in regards to people and traffic. The streets are very narrow and usually very busy, also like many tropical Asian towns there are deep open gutters running along the length of them. If you're used to walking along Asian streets this isn't a problem; however, there is so much to see in the buildings' architecture, dating back several hundred years that it is hard to keep your eye on the road. There are plenty of food places to eat at and loads of trinket shops to buy cheap tacky tourist items through to magnificent ancient artifacts if you know what you're looking for.

Reviewed October 16, 2013

This has become a non-negotiable part of all my trips to Melaka - breakfast in the living room of a gracious Malaccan lady who sells fried noodles (mee/kuay teow/bee hoon) and nasi kuning, kuehs, and other snacks. I stumbled upon this place on a morning walk many years ago, when I noticed locals on motorbikes stopping and taking away. I don't think the lady meant to open up her living room but since I asked whether there was a place to sit, she offered me her living room. Her cooking is simple but delicious, and brings back memories of my granny's cooking. You can have the noodles with sambal or topped with curry gravy. On an earlier occasion, I asked whether she sold tea/coffee, and she took my order. Little did I realise that she sent her daughter to a neighbouring coffee shop to ask them to deliver it to her living room. I felt really bad for putting them out, but they were more than happy to extend their hospitality. Now I know not to order coffee but she, being the gracious host, offers me Chinese tea whenever I visit. Sitting in her living room is like visiting a living museum. What you find there transports you back to the 50s-70s. Often I go away feeling that I have just visited a friend in Malacca. On some of my previous walks, I was accompanied by my wife, and she really enjoyed the noodles and the experience. On our last trip, recently, she felt too tired to get up but gave me instructions to take away a serving of the noodles, and being man, I didn't mentally register her request. She was so upset when I returned empty handed, and nothing else I did could pacify her that day.
This noodle stall is diagonally across from "Tee Soon Loong Chan Teo Chew Seafood Restaurant" and is on the stretch of Jalan Hang Kasturi between Jalan Hang Jebat (Jonker Street) and the junction of Jalan Tukang Emas and Jalan Tukang Besi.

1  Thank Ceciltong
Reviewed October 16, 2013

while you are strolling Jonker Street. Just a few Chinese-owned establishments and not a whole lot of things to see IMHO.

You'll walk pass one of the famous temples in the area. It's there and you can't miss it.

Reviewed October 1, 2013

Make sure you visit Jonker Walk on Saturday night. Night market starts at 6 p.m. there. There are food strret stalls as well.
Market takes place Fri - Sun but on Saturday it is most crowded and running until late.

1  Thank WitoldGdowski
Reviewed September 30, 2013

If you are into night market, street foods, cheap and good bargains, this is the place you must come look for yourself. It is definitely a good night out for local foods and souvenirs. There are also some restaurants along the shophouses which sell local delights too. Beware of cars which at times trying to make their way across the already crowded, old street.

1  Thank alanlwl73